C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Strange sensation when coasting at high speeds

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2002, 10:48 PM
vettelover1985
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange sensation when coasting at high speeds

I am driving an 85 coupe and lately when I am driving at speeds over 50 mph, when I let off the accelerator and let the car coast it feels like there's a "grabbing" sensation as the car slows down while coasting. Not sure if it's the transmission or engine that's involved. It doesn't do it if I step on the gas again to maintain speed or speed up. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 10-14-2002, 10:51 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Grabbing in what way. Does the car try to pull to one side on the front? Does the rear feel like it is stepping out either way?
Old 10-14-2002, 11:40 PM
chucks88
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: (scorp508)

Grabbing in what way. Does the car try to pull to one side on the front? Does the rear feel like it is stepping out either way?
Damn! That is what my car is doing now when I take my foot off the gas at those speeds and above. I've also notice wheel movement on the hub/bearing I replaced in the spring. I may have picked up a bad one :mad

[Modified by chucks88, 10:41 PM 10/14/2002]
Old 10-15-2002, 08:49 AM
vettelover1985
Intermediate

Default Re: (scorp508)

It's kind of hard to describe. It doesn't feel like anything to do with the wheels-more the engine or transmission. Almost feels like it's in a lower gear (sort of). It's an automatic transmission.
Old 10-15-2002, 09:10 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Damn! That is what my car is doing now when I take my foot off the gas at those speeds and above. I've also notice wheel movement on the hub/bearing I replaced in the spring. I may have picked up a bad one :mad
:yesnod: When the rear tries stepping out when you get on/off the gas then you definitely should check the wheel bearings for play. Mine was shot and was doing this.
Old 10-15-2002, 10:03 AM
GIJoe
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default Re: (vettelover1985)

It's kind of hard to describe. It doesn't feel like anything to do with the wheels-more the engine or transmission. Almost feels like it's in a lower gear (sort of). It's an automatic transmission.
dumb question: is it in the right gear? or is is shifting correctly?

Sounds like when i am in high gear and going at high speeds at high RPM's and then let off the gas.. it then grabs and slows WAY down...
Old 10-15-2002, 10:09 AM
Dan Parker '96
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Strange sensation when coasting at high speeds (vettelover1985)

Next time you're up to speed, let it coast, see if you feel it "dragging" as you described, and then quickly tap/release the brakes. See if the dragging sensation stops.

What you may be feeling is the torque converter staying locked upon deceleration. It is supposed to perform this way and is a sign that the converter lock-up is operating properly.
Old 10-15-2002, 10:18 AM
vettmech
Drifting

Default Re: Strange sensation when coasting at high speeds (Dan Parker '96)

Try kicking it out of gear when it does this........ any change?....... also check the TV cable adjustment. If it's the TCC locked up you can verify this by just "TOUCHING" the brake pedal like when you kick the cruise off..... that will (if the car's right) turn off TCC............ let us know ...... :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To Strange sensation when coasting at high speeds

Quick Reply: Strange sensation when coasting at high speeds