C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Home Made Throttle Body Bypass Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2002, 10:16 PM
GDP
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Home Made Throttle Body Bypass Questions.

Hi, just wondering about a couple things before I do my own.

I want a professional looking install, so I'd like to run one hose off of the main coolant tube where it splits off to get some through the throttle body to the other side where the hose that connects to the other side of the throttle body leads to. If that doesn't make sense, basically I'd like to run one piece of new tube all the way across instead of joining two pieces together below the throttle body. Now for my questions:

What are the sizes of both hoses that lead to/from the throttle body?

Is it possible to use one hose size for the bypass, or will I have to get a connector?

What specific type of tubing is it called? I tried the bypass on an LS1 and one hose split because of the morons at Advance Auto that thought it could handle high heat/pressure :rolleyes:

I guess that's it. I know with the Opti that I'll have to drain some of the coolant before getting started so that it doesn't harm the Opti. Any other tips? TIA
Old 10-14-2002, 11:12 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Home Made Throttle Body Bypass Questions. (GDP)

I think it's 5/8"; ask for heater hose and you should be fine.

In case it helps with that professional look, you can get molded heater hose with 90deg or 180deg bends.
Old 10-14-2002, 11:17 PM
atotalnincompoop
Race Director

I just used regular heater hose and haven't had a problem, i haven't been able to find anything to cover the openings on the throttle body yet (just for looks of course) anyone have a suggestion? :cheers:
Old 10-14-2002, 11:28 PM
85vet
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Home Made Throttle Body Bypass Questions. (atotalnincompoop)

You can get rubber caps at Napa, or if you want it real neat - call TPIS and buy a modified section where the TPS is located - The water portion is removed.

When I installed mine, I went to napa and asked what 90degree 5/8 hoses did they have and picked one. I then enclosed the single hose in black plastic protective material and it looks stock.
Old 10-14-2002, 11:32 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

I'm just going to buy the rad & heater hoses for a '95 and put them in place of the '93 hoses.
Old 10-14-2002, 11:36 PM
atotalnincompoop
Race Director

Default Re: Home Made Throttle Body Bypass Questions. (85vet)

rubber will do the trick, i was trying to find something a little more trick, I'm going to have to look through my junk drawer or my kids toy box for something cool to make them out of :cheers: thanks man
Old 10-15-2002, 03:13 AM
GDP
Team Owner

Default Re: Home Made Throttle Body Bypass Questions. (65Z01)

It's 5/8" on both sides? The LS1 I did had different size hoses on either side of the throttle body. :crazy:
Old 10-15-2002, 09:48 AM
JJ 40Anv
Advanced

I got some plugs from the plumbing dept, 1/2 I think, and put them in the lines coming /going to the t/body. This way it looks stock.

[Modified by JJ 40Anv, 7:49 AM 10/15/2002]
Old 10-15-2002, 09:53 AM
GIJoe
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default Re: Home Made Throttle Body Bypass Questions. (atotalnincompoop)

I just used regular heater hose and haven't had a problem, i haven't been able to find anything to cover the openings on the throttle body yet (just for looks of course) anyone have a suggestion? :cheers:
Rubber caps? like something you might put under a chair leg or over a pipe opening or something?

I have a couple covering the pipes for my exhaust return when i removed my smog pump... looks ok...
Old 10-16-2002, 01:00 AM
GDP
Team Owner

Default Re: Home Made Throttle Body Bypass Questions. (GIJoe)

Advance Auto here sells the little caps you need. They're about 2 cm long and 1 cm tall. Best way to describe their shape is like a U bolt, the kind you'd find on a conventional leaf spring in a solid axle car. They're black in color, I believe they're called End Caps but I could be mistaken. :cheers:
Old 10-16-2002, 01:42 AM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

In the first place, why bother? You and your vette will not know the difference. With or without the coolant flow, the throttle body absorbs the engine heat. Just place your hand on the TB cover without coolant flow, and you will feel the heat. This mod will do nothing for your performance.

If you must modify the flow, the inlet hose is 3/4" ID and the outlet hose is 1/2" ID. The fitting to the main stream hose from the TB outlet is 1/2".

If you want to do a professional job, and remove two hoses from your engine bay: replace the two TEE connectors with inline pipe (STAINLESS OR COPPER), and you will eliminate any odd connectors, and rid the engine bay of two hoses................

Old 10-16-2002, 11:19 AM
JJ 40Anv
Advanced

Default Re: Home Made Throttle Body Bypass Questions. (Oldman)

I read a post on one of the F-body forums where a guy did dyno test after every mod and the by-pass was good for about 5-6 hp. Not bad for free.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:53 AM
War Machine
Le Mans Master

Location: Airport Cruise-in 1 Veteran Airport Cruise-in 2 Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

In the first place, why bother? You and your vette will not know the difference. With or without the coolant flow, the throttle body absorbs the engine heat. Just place your hand on the TB cover without coolant flow, and you will feel the heat.
I beg to differ. I regularly monitor my engine operation, timing, TPS setting and so on. The best place for me to put my hands to keep balanced is the TPI. With the coolant bypass mod I can touch the TPI w/ my bare hands. :yesnod: Without the bypass, it was too hot to touch even with mechanix (sp) gloves on.
Old 10-16-2002, 01:39 PM
Siveck
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Re: Home Made Throttle Body Bypass Questions. (War Machine)

In the first place, why bother? You and your vette will not know the difference. With or without the coolant flow, the throttle body absorbs the engine heat. Just place your hand on the TB cover without coolant flow, and you will feel the heat.

I beg to differ. I regularly monitor my engine operation, timing, TPS setting and so on. The best place for me to put my hands to keep balanced is the TPI. With the coolant bypass mod I can touch the TPI w/ my bare hands. :yesnod: Without the bypass, it was too hot to touch even with mechanix (sp) gloves on.
I agree. On my '89, you can put your hand on the plenum after a drive as opposed to being burned before the bypass. Colder air has more density and more density equals more horsepower. You may not notice the difference because it will be minimal, but every little bit adds up. Also, to clear up some confusion from above posts, the hose sizes and configurations are different between the L98 and LT1. L98's can use a single 5/8" hose, but the LT1's must use a different method due to various diameters. :)
Old 10-16-2002, 01:45 PM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Default Re: Home Made Throttle Body Bypass Questions. (Mr Mojo)

I'm just going to buy the rad & heater hoses for a '95 and put them in place of the '93 hoses.

this is what I did. I used the 95-96 upper radiator hose. Its one piece and eliminates the tee. Then I used a stright, double ribbed, 5/8 heater hose connector and eliminated the tee in the heater hose. Then I used the large vacuum caps over the two nipples on the TB.
Old 10-16-2002, 02:53 PM
Rex Ruby
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts
Philly 'Burbs Events Coordinator

Default Re: Home Made Throttle Body Bypass Questions. (Red 86 4+3)

this is what I did. I used the 95-96 upper radiator hose. Its one piece and eliminates the tee. Then I used a stright, double ribbed, 5/8 heater hose connector and eliminated the tee in the heater hose. Then I used the large vacuum caps over the two nipples on the TB.

That's the most professional looking way to do it, IMHO.
That's what I did to both of mine :yesnod:
Old 10-16-2002, 03:13 PM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

Default Re: Home Made Throttle Body Bypass Questions. (Rex Ruby)

I just put the 96/96 hoses in place of theupper radiator hose and heater core hose. Looks very nice, then I capped off the plugs with vacuum line plugs from a parts stores help section. Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Home Made Throttle Body Bypass Questions.

Old 10-16-2002, 04:28 PM
jstkrsn
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

I went to HomeDepot and got a 5/8"-1/2" reducer for $2 in the plumbing department, bought a longer piece of 5/8" heater hose and put it together. Has worked fine for the last 6 months.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:46 PM
GDP
Team Owner

In the first place, why bother? You and your vette will not know the difference. With or without the coolant flow, the throttle body absorbs the engine heat. Just place your hand on the TB cover without coolant flow, and you will feel the heat. This mod will do nothing for your performance.

If you must modify the flow, the inlet hose is 3/4" ID and the outlet hose is 1/2" ID. The fitting to the main stream hose from the TB outlet is 1/2".

If you want to do a professional job, and remove two hoses from your engine bay: replace the two TEE connectors with inline pipe (STAINLESS OR COPPER), and you will eliminate any odd connectors, and rid the engine bay of two hoses................
The throttle body bypass is good for 6.3 HP and 7.1 ft/lbs of torque. This is from a 1997 WS6 F-Body with an LT1.

Here, the dyno shows a 6.3 horsepower and 7.1 ft/lbs torque difference between having coolant run through the throttle body and bypassing it, with an average gain of 5.6 horsepower and 6.8 ft/lbs torque. I made the first test after driving the car for approximately 15 minutes. I monitored Coolant Temp and Intake Air Temp while making the run. At the beginning of the baseline run, the coolant was at 178F, intake air was at 80F, and the throttle body itself had a surface temperature of 102F. After bypassing, I again brought the car to temperature and repeated the test. This time, the coolant was at 180F, intake air was 80F and the throttle body was at 82F. To make sure the runs were accurate, I set the cruise on the dyno to 70mph in 6th and let the car run for about 6 minutes. After this time, the throttle body had reached 100F. I let the car cool to 185F coolant temp, and 88F intake air temp. Running the car again with these elevated heat readings yielded another .2 horsepower and -.2 ft/lbs torque compared to before heat soaking the engine.

Subjective:
Everyone, including myself, thought this mod would be almost useless. Boy were we wrong. It is a noticeable gain, but again, due to the low percentage, I can't feel it. Oh well.

[Modified by GDP, 7:49 PM 10/16/2002]
Old 10-16-2002, 10:03 PM
snaketr
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Home Made Throttle Body Bypass Questions. (Rex Ruby)

If you want it to look trick, I went down to a local stock car place, or you could call summit. I bought a 10AN fitting and 90 degree 10AN fitting and then 10AN (which is 5/8) Aeroquip hose and made it out of that. I just cutoff my hose ends under my throttle body so that you can not see them.

Quick Reply: Home Made Throttle Body Bypass Questions.