C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

power flushing transmissions????

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2002, 01:03 PM
fathermojo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power flushing transmissions????

Anybody ever hear of a method for power flushing an automatic tranny? I'm getting ready to change out the precious fluids and am wondering about this

thanks in advance :chevy
Old 10-11-2002, 01:05 PM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: power flushing transmissions???? (fathermojo)

I don't like power flushing... just drop the pan and put replace how much comes out (about 5 quarts)
Old 10-11-2002, 01:11 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I was reading in something that power flushing can blow out seals and such, not a good idea.
Old 10-11-2002, 01:34 PM
Hawaii89vette
Racer

Default Re: power flushing transmissions???? (Nathan Plemons)

If you take your car to a Transmission Shop, they can properly change all the trans fluid in your Auto Trans. The problem is, if your don't properly do it and somehow the trans runs out of fluid during the change, then you might have a burned out Auto Trans. Do what I did, drop the Trans Draing pan and put a drain plug in the pan. Then you can drain 4 or 5 quarts of fluid every so often without dropping the pan. It'll "REFRESH" the fluid.

-Tim
Old 10-11-2002, 08:11 PM
lowflyer
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

We use a Wynn's transmission Power flush machine at the shop and I like it. It is used for all the fleet vehicles that we service for the DOT inspections and for customers with fairly low milage cars. We recommend a full fluid and filter change for cars with alot of miles.
Powerflushing changes ALL the trans fluid in the tranny + converter + lines and cooler (15qts for a most cars.) It does not PUSH or power the fluid in at a higher PSI, but uses the trans pump to let the old fluid out and a small pump to put back fresh fluid into the system at the same PSI. The pump in the equipment is only activated by positive pressure from the trans pump, and it only puts in, what comes out, so you never have to worry about over or under filling the transmission. By powerflushing the system, you get all the fluid out, not just 1/3 of the total system fluid, that is in the pan.
I wouldn't recommend you do this unless you know that the filter is fairly new and the transmission is in otherwise good condition. It won't clean the filter, or clean out the particles that are stuck to the bottom of the pan and to the little magnet. Also if there is anything seriously wrong with the transmission, it could accelerate the wear of the trans.
We recommend to most customers that you change the filter out every other, or every third time you use the power flush machine.
Old 10-11-2002, 10:00 PM
95CYC4
Instructor

Default Re: power flushing transmissions???? (lowflyer)

I have had this done twice on my 96 4L60E and have no problems. I think that it's well worth it and my car shifts very good with just having the line pressure bumped up a bit. The local Chevy dealer here in Dayton has the machine to do this. They also drop the pan and check/change the filter. I vote to get this done instead of the normal filter and fluid change.
Old 10-11-2002, 11:01 PM
PeteL
Le Mans Master

Location: And on the fifth day, subpoenas were served to Obama senior staff
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: power flushing transmissions???? (95CYC4)

Do a full flush every year in my truck, not because I want to - because I have to. Towing.

One of the better machines is the T-Tech. It uses the pump in the trans. The machine has two sections for fluid seperated by a flexible bladder. One side collects the fluid from the trans pump the cooler. The pressure of the fluid filling the collection side of the bladder pushes the new fluid on the other side of the bladder into the return line to the trans. In this manner no overpressure condition can exit to damage the trans / seals. A full flush is accomplished with no damage to the transmission.

Every other year I replace the filter as well. It is accomplished in this manner. Drop pan and replace filter. Top up transmission fluid. Perform full flush as above. Extra 5 pints of fluid for this job.

Total flush is about 24 pints. With a pan drop and filter change as above, almost 30 pints.

Have done this on many vehicles with no problems. Old and new.

Pete

Get notified of new replies

To power flushing transmissions????

Quick Reply: power flushing transmissions????