C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

L98 goals for 88. Doable?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 06:09 AM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts
Default L98 goals for 88. Doable?

Hi,

Ive been on the hunt for a vette. Ive been watching for a very nice body in the right colors and getting impatient. Ive only given it about a month but Ive been looking hard coast to coast.. Currently Im about to go look at a one owner 88 with 90k on it. Is at a dealer so not sure how they can say one owner so Im hopefull a one owner car means someone really loved the car. Miles on it would indicate a summer weekend car.

Anyway.. this is a sunny day weekend car for me... important to note... so a blend of race fuel is absolutely an option and we dont have testing of any sort here.

Engine goals:
Id like to have enough power to spin the tires with a limited slip. (will the 88 come with ls?) All I really care about is low RPM torque. I want to go fast from 10-60mph. anything more than that gets me in trouble and Ive seen enough trouble for the rest of my life.

I want a very nice sounding idle and exhaust note.. the kind that only long tube headers and a nicely tuned cam will get you. Basically, a nasty v8.

Needs to be street drive able comfortably and has to be automatic trans.

So, with an 88 how do I get there, best bang for the buck? I figure it might be a combo of engine and rear end?

Cost? Id like to keep it under $5k and I probably wont be doing the work. Pipe dream?

Would I be better off spending more on a 93-96?

thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:00 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 467 Likes on 370 Posts

Your dreams are possible, but you may be money ahead starting with a 1992 to 1996 LT1 auto and just change the gears and a tune for similar performance. No it won't have the nasty cam sound but you could add that latter.

Don't get me wrong, you can get there with the 1988 but I am not sure if changing the cam and adding a tune and adding headers can be done for less then $5000 if you are paying for the labor and parts.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:15 AM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bjankuski
Your dreams are possible, but you may be money ahead starting with a 1992 to 1996 LT1 auto and just change the gears and a tune for similar performance. No it won't have the nasty cam sound but you could add that latter.

Don't get me wrong, you can get there with the 1988 but I am not sure if changing the cam and adding a tune and adding headers can be done for less then $5000 if you are paying for the labor and parts.

Kind of what I was thinking. To get a 2 owner or less car that hasnt over 120k on the clock is hard to do in my part of the us but will keep looking,
Old 12-18-2017, 08:59 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 633 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by bjankuski

For low cost, try the muffler eliminators with the rest of the stock exhaust on an LT1 car. I did that on my '94 and thought it was the best sounding car at idle. It had a very deep rumble like many of the older musclecars.

If you are wanting a cam that has a lope to the idle, you are looking at a cam that is more set up for higher rpm. That does not match your low rpm goals.

Good luck.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:28 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

If you want sounds and grunt, gears and mufflers are what you need. Don't tear into the motor to change the cam for sound. That'll decrease your low rpm torque you are looking for.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:42 AM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by barchetta1
Hi,

Ive been on the hunt for a vette. Ive been watching for a very nice body in the right colors and getting impatient. Ive only given it about a month but Ive been looking hard coast to coast.. Currently Im about to go look at a one owner 88 with 90k on it. Is at a dealer so not sure how they can say one owner so Im hopefull a one owner car means someone really loved the car. Miles on it would indicate a summer weekend car.

Anyway.. this is a sunny day weekend car for me... important to note... so a blend of race fuel is absolutely an option and we dont have testing of any sort here.

Engine goals:
Id like to have enough power to spin the tires with a limited slip. (will the 88 come with ls?) All I really care about is low RPM torque. I want to go fast from 10-60mph. anything more than that gets me in trouble and Ive seen enough trouble for the rest of my life.

I want a very nice sounding idle and exhaust note.. the kind that only long tube headers and a nicely tuned cam will get you. Basically, a nasty v8.

Needs to be street drive able comfortably and has to be automatic trans.

So, with an 88 how do I get there, best bang for the buck? I figure it might be a combo of engine and rear end?

Cost? Id like to keep it under $5k and I probably wont be doing the work. Pipe dream?

Would I be better off spending more on a 93-96?

thanks in advance for any advice.
My stone stock 86 will light up the tires anytime at will (don’t know if it’s because it has the 3.07 gear set/ performance diff).
0-60 pretty much any C4 will run that fairly hard.
What gets you moving off the line-torque
By todays standards what does a C4 have- torque
What doesn’t A C4 have- horsepower.
With that being said you can still fry the tires anytime you want if thats your thing and you can pretty much double almost any posted speed limit in the US without a single modification.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:01 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Now that I have 315's out back, its a little harder to lite em up, but they will still spin. The sound can be changed with exhaust mods.... a $5000. car will need some work... Spend a little more and finding a car that has everything done is possible.... Check this one out...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...200-miles.html
Old 12-18-2017, 05:05 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 383vett
If you want sounds and grunt, gears and mufflers are what you need. Don't tear into the motor to change the cam for sound. That'll decrease your low rpm torque you are looking for.
the sound you are referring to is not what I believe I am after. But will listen some more..
Old 12-18-2017, 06:17 PM
biggiefl
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

"What doesn’t A C4 have- horsepower."

Not true if you own a ZR1
Old 12-18-2017, 06:18 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 81c3

Now that I have 315's out back, its a little harder to lite em up, but they will still spin. The sound can be changed with exhaust mods.... a $5000. car will need some work... Spend a little more and finding a car that has everything done is possible.... Check this one out...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...200-miles.html

Not sure I could "handle" carb.. those arent really my era.. Im 52 not 62
Old 12-18-2017, 06:23 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cjunkie
My stone stock 86 will light up the tires anytime at will (don’t know if it’s because it has the 3.07 gear set/ performance diff).
0-60 pretty much any C4 will run that fairly hard.
What gets you moving off the line-torque
By todays standards what does a C4 have- torque
What doesn’t A C4 have- horsepower.
With that being said you can still fry the tires anytime you want if thats your thing and you can pretty much double almost any posted speed limit in the US without a single modification.
Im not totally up on rear end ratios but your post seems counter what Ive read.. that a l98 does not need a ratio change.. interesting.

Admittngly, Ive only driven 2 c4s. a 90 and a 96. the 90 had 54k on it and wouldnt barely light up the tires. It had a lot of torque down low and fell off abruptly. the 96 I couldnt mess with, the roads were wet. But did seem to have gobs more power.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:32 PM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Im not totally up on rear end ratios but your post seems counter what Ive read.. that a l98 does not need a ratio change.. interesting.

Admittngly, Ive only driven 2 c4s. a 90 and a 96. the 90 had 54k on it and wouldnt barely light up the tires. It had a lot of torque down low and fell off abruptly. the 96 I couldnt mess with, the roads were wet. But did seem to have gobs more power.
My L98 never had a gear ratio change. There were 2 available for an automatic Vette from Chevrolet a 2.59 AND a 3.07. Mine has the 3.07 from the factory.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:39 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

My L98 never had a gear ratio change. There were 2 available for an automatic Vette from Chevrolet a 2.59 AND a 3.07. Mine has the 3.07 from the factory.
Yes .. I thought I read the 307 was rare and not recommened for the l98.. but maybe I have it backwards or just flat our wrong.. will need to review what I read last night on here.. somewhere...
Old 12-18-2017, 06:56 PM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Yes .. I thought I read the 307 was rare and not recommened for the l98.. but maybe I have it backwards or just flat our wrong.. will need to review what I read last night on here.. somewhere...
Interesting the 3.07 is not recommended for the L98. Especially since the 3.07 was an option for EVERY Auto L98 ever made.
Mine has been working fine for 31 years. Must not be to bad?
Old 12-18-2017, 07:00 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Interesting the 3.07 is not recommended for the L98. Especially since the 3.07 was an option for EVERY Auto L98 ever made.
Mine has been working fine for 31 years. Must not be to bad?
I said I THOUGHT I read it was rare.. and went on to say perhaps I was mistaken. So Im not sure why you are asserting it is not recommended.

What I read is that it doesnt nearly respond to a gear change like the lt1's do.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:18 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Not sure I could "handle" carb.. those arent really my era.. Im 52 not 62
Whatever man.... I.m 50... I have no problem "handling" a carb.... why would you? Thats a damn nice ride for the money.... and Im sure you could barter it a little more in your favor.... but alas... go buy yourself a high mile EFI car that youll need to pour $5000. more dollars into... after the initial $5000. you spend to buy it.... Your money pal.

Last edited by 81c3; 12-18-2017 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:32 PM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

I’m 45 and wouldn’t touch a carb anymore unless it was an old 50s-70s classic or a total strip *****.
I’d pass and get an EFI car.

Get notified of new replies

To L98 goals for 88. Doable?

Old 12-18-2017, 09:47 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

I’m 45 and wouldn’t touch a carb anymore unless it was an old 50s-70s classic or a total strip *****.
I’d pass and get an EFI car.
If the car were complete Id consider.. but looking close at photos, its needs some more attention. I dont have the interest to tinker to that degree any more. been there, done that, sold my scissors lift a few years back and my back cant take leaning over a vette.

Last edited by barchetta1; 12-18-2017 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:47 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

I get the feeling the poster is looking for a 8000 example for 3500 so he can put 1500 in and have a 5000 car. I have one I will probably sell for health reasons and will no doubt not meet the expectations of some and others will see it as a good driver for 6k or so and everything works well with 73k on the clock. I have no idea if 3 people owned it or 30 it makes no difference as long as well taken care of. Mine is a 91 that I have had for 10 years so 27 years old of course there is some wear. At the end of the day you get what you pay for and 5k does not buy much.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:55 AM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
I get the feeling the poster is looking for a 8000 example for 3500 so he can put 1500 in and have a 5000 car. I have one I will probably sell for health reasons and will no doubt not meet the expectations of some and others will see it as a good driver for 6k or so and everything works well with 73k on the clock. I have no idea if 3 people owned it or 30 it makes no difference as long as well taken care of. Mine is a 91 that I have had for 10 years so 27 years old of course there is some wear. At the end of the day you get what you pay for and 5k does not buy much.
Not really. the reality is that the c4 is not a desirable car. I say this because you can see 92-96 models all over the place with less than 70k miles in near showroom condition (exaggeration.. excellent condition) other than seat bolster wear and worn tires for an advertised $9-12k. That sort of sets the bar. Dont believe me? there is one on here. Keep in mind these are advertised prices and I dont see them taken off autotrader, craigslist, carguru, etc.. they just arent moving. These are for the MOST desirable lt1 cars.. Subtract 1-2k for l98's roughly.

Personally I dont care about trashed interior, but I want a near perfect garaged body. thats not hard to find actually.. and Id like to either need an engine with so many miles it needs a rebuild now or one that I can massage as is.

the ones in-between say 90-145k miles are not of interest to me because the price isnt right for ME.

I want one because Ive never owned a muscle car that was also a sports car.. always BMWs VW's, etc. I just made the mistake of moving from a 6cyl bmw to 4cyl turbo thanks to all the environment regs.. now I want something fun for the weekends and occasional Fridays drive into work.

If yours has a nice original paint job but a trashed interior.. and its not torch red, PM me. Paint is crazy money to do right.

I appreciate all the advice here and continue to listen.. this is my dream toy car and I am very excited. Age really is wasted on the youth. its true.

Last edited by barchetta1; 12-19-2017 at 06:07 AM.

Quick Reply: L98 goals for 88. Doable?