C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

no power/pulse to injectors. Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 10:53 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Not sure I agree with Grumpy on that part. Going with what he says, you should not get any oil pressure with the sensor disconnected and therefore it should not start. IIRC, I have disconnected the sensor and gotten a start so.....
"Grumpy" hehe are talking about me?
Old 11-14-2017, 11:44 PM
nmay
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by desertmike1
I would back probe the TPS and either verify or adjust for the .54 voltage signal at the idle position. According to the Blue sheet an appreciably Higher voltage is determined by the ECM as an engine flood condition and will turn Off the injectors.

Which FSM do you have; the factory manual or a cheaper version Haynes type of manual.
I’ll check the tps when I get some time and let you how it goes. When I came to the fsm I just googled it I read how things work in order step by step but It’s not telling me what’s wrong with it. Everything is leading me to all the expensive scan tools and probes so I’m waiting on money to roll in before I can actually get to the bottom of it
Old 11-14-2017, 11:48 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,257 Likes on 1,963 Posts

Originally Posted by nmay
I’ll check the tps when I get some time and let you how it goes. When I came to the fsm I just googled it I read how things work in order step by step but It’s not telling me what’s wrong with it. Everything is leading me to all the expensive scan tools and probes so I’m waiting on money to roll in before I can actually get to the bottom of it
If you think scanners are expensive, wait till you total the bill for parts you threw at it that did not fix the problem and even more expensive, time
Old 11-15-2017, 02:47 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

I have no power/ pulse to my injectors. it all started with a head gasket leak. I tore everything off all the way down to the block to make sure to replace all top end gaskets.
In the process i decided to change the distributor, coil, plugs and wires, distributor modular, oil sending unit, fuel pump, fuel filter, tps sensor, ecm, fuel pump relay, radiator and i know there are other things that are not coming to mind but iv pretty much rebuilt this whole car.

iv got everything working all the way up to the injectors. The car wants to start with starter fluid. my fuel pressure holds at 42. i used a noid light to test the injector harness pulse and none of them work besides the cold start injector. Please help.
Hi What year C4?

The Inj 1 and Inj 2 fuses supply the power (pink/black wires at injector harness) the ECM grounds the injectors light Blue wire for Cylinders 1, 3, 5,7 and light green for Cyl 2,4,6,8.

If you have no power to injectors while someone cranks the engine over via ignition switch check the switch at lower part of column.

A noid light or multimeter should flash or show 12 volt pulses (across the two injector connector terminals) while the engine is being cranked over or running.

They batch fire, all right bank then all left bank

So either no power via inj 1 or inj 2 fuses (via ignition switch) which is supplied by fusable links from battery. or ECM ground.
Confirm the light green and light blue wires ground via the ECM.

Good luck
Old 11-15-2017, 11:47 AM
nmay
Advanced

I would back probe the TPS and either verify or adjust for the .54 voltage signal at the idle position. According to the Blue sheet an appreciably Higher voltage is determined by the ECM as an engine flood condition and will turn Off the injectors.

Which FSM do you have; the factory manual or a cheaper version Haynes type of manual.
is the .54 volts with the car on or in running position or at all times?
Old 11-15-2017, 11:54 AM
aklim
Team Owner

is the .54 volts with the car on or in running position or at all times?
Idle
Old 11-15-2017, 12:02 PM
nmay
Advanced

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Hi What year C4?

The Inj 1 and Inj 2 fuses supply the power (pink/black wires at injector harness) the ECM grounds the injectors light Blue wire for Cylinders 1, 3, 5,7 and light green for Cyl 2,4,6,8.

If you have no power to injectors while someone cranks the engine over via ignition switch check the switch at lower part of column.

A noid light or multimeter should flash or show 12 volt pulses (across the two injector connector terminals) while the engine is being cranked over or running.

So either no power via inj 1 or inj 2 fuses (via ignition switch) which is supplied by fusable links from battery. or ECM ground.

Good luck
My c4 is a spilt year between 86 and 87 i think. my title says 86 but the vin says 87 and the vin on the title matches the car. i have power in the injector spots on the fuse panel. i havent checked the ecm ground yet. not sure how to do it. someone on this forum told me to check for volts at the tps and i still havent yet. you said check the ignition switch for power and its toward the lower end of the steering problem?
Old 11-15-2017, 12:04 PM
nmay
Advanced

Idle
i cant get my car to idle yet so how do i know?
Old 11-15-2017, 01:07 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Throttle position at idle, Key in the run position. Car doesn't need to be running.
The following users liked this post:
nmay (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 01:34 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Key on engine off works. As long as it isn't, and. I suspect not, excessive, it would not trigger a clear flood issue
The following users liked this post:
nmay (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 02:24 PM
nmay
Advanced

Key on engine off works. As long as it isn't, and. I suspect not, excessive, it would not trigger a clear flood issue
how do i adjust it if its not right? are you asking me to test the wires going to the tps or test the tps itself. i don't think mine is adjustable
Old 11-15-2017, 05:06 PM
aklim
Team Owner

how do i adjust it if its not right? are you asking me to test the wires going to the tps or test the tps itself. i don't think mine is adjustable
What year? As long as you are not in a clear flood mode it should be OK
Old 11-15-2017, 05:28 PM
nmay
Advanced

What year? As long as you are not in a clear flood mode it should be OK
how would you clear the codes??
Old 11-15-2017, 07:50 PM
aklim
Team Owner

IIRC, the TPS is adjustable. http://www.enduringautomotive.com/tps/

IDK. I'd use my scanner but you can try unplugging the battery or going to Autozone. Supposedly they tell you to unplug the battery and turn on the light or wait for 20 mins. Never verified that personally so IDK.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:58 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Here is the Code interrogation instruction;

http://www.corvettephotographs.com/c4vettes/codes.htm

To Clear the codes on an 87 you can simply remove the Battery negative cable for a few seconds, and reattach.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:39 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Here is the Code interrogation instruction;

http://www.corvettephotographs.com/c4vettes/codes.htm

To Clear the codes on an 87 you can simply remove the Battery negative cable for a few seconds, and reattach.
I can't remember exactly since I don't use it and I don't know if it applies to an 87 so I could be wrong. Isn't there an ECM fuse you can pull somewhere? If that is right, wouldn't that clear all volatile memory?
Old 11-16-2017, 03:43 AM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

I can't remember exactly since I don't use it and I don't know if it applies to an 87 so I could be wrong. Isn't there an ECM fuse you can pull somewhere? If that is right, wouldn't that clear all volatile memory?
Yep, there should be a main ECM fuse, just trying to keep things simple..

Get notified of new replies

To no power/pulse to injectors. Please Help

Old 11-16-2017, 08:59 AM
3D-Aircrew
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

I have no power/ pulse to my injectors. it all started with a head gasket leak. I tore everything off all the way down to the block to make sure to replace all top end gaskets.
In the process i decided to change the distributor, coil, plugs and wires, distributor modular, oil sending unit, fuel pump, fuel filter, tps sensor, ecm, fuel pump relay, radiator and i know there are other things that are not coming to mind but iv pretty much rebuilt this whole car.

iv got everything working all the way up to the injectors. The car wants to start with starter fluid. my fuel pressure holds at 42. i used a noid light to test the injector harness pulse and none of them work besides the cold start injector. Please help.
Have you used the paperclip method to pull your codes? If you did there should be only 12's unless something is wrong.

Lot's of people helping you here ... we should be able to help figure this out. Also the ECM for an 86 has the driver transistors for the injectors. It is your cars brain. If it will not display 12's then there is something seriously wrong.

Last edited by 3D-Aircrew; 11-16-2017 at 09:01 AM. Reason: added
Old 11-16-2017, 10:15 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Yep, there should be a main ECM fuse, just trying to keep things simple..
IIRC it was in an easy to reach place but can't remember where. Pull that and you don't have to pull the battery cable and reset the clock and radio stations.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:27 PM
64Scout
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

The oil pressure sensor, AFAIK, is a backup so it isn't an issue.
iirc it's a backup for the fuel pump relay.

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Hi What year C4?

Good luck
that's what I thought about the injectors being fed 12v from the fuse panel, but chevythunder.com says otherwise.

Good point about the ignition switch. Nmay, do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key on?

My c4 is a spilt year between 86 and 87 i think. my title says 86 but the vin says 87 and the vin on the title matches the car. i have power in the injector spots on the fuse panel. i havent checked the ecm ground yet. not sure how to do it. someone on this forum told me to check for volts at the tps and i still havent yet. you said check the ignition switch for power and its toward the lower end of the steering problem?
You have to check for injector power at the injector plug, not just at the fuse panel.

Originally Posted by rharker
Have you used the paperclip method to pull your codes? If you did there should be only 12's unless something is wrong.

Lot's of people helping you here ... we should be able to help figure this out. Also the ECM for an 86 has the driver transistors for the injectors. It is your cars brain. If it will not display 12's then there is something seriously wrong.
It should show 12s anyway whether there are other codes or not. 12 just means the engine isn't running.

Quick Reply: no power/pulse to injectors. Please Help