C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What brake upgrades to tackle these canyon runs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 05:14 PM
jay23ls
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 81 Posts
Default What brake upgrades to tackle these canyon runs?

Ladies and gents I give you two of the most fun and challenging canyon roads in probably the entire country:

I use inertia/change in direction and the engine to slow the car down of course but need some solid brakes! I know my way around a canyon so I need something better than what avg joe on a typical spirited drive would use. That and there are a ton of back to back turns on these roads. Yes, I always try to be safe, know the car well, always stay in my lane, drive when there's little to no traffic as well.

What do you guys recommend?? Can do both pads and rotors, not sure if I'll need to do calipers.
Budget is like $350 - $500. I drive the car like a Sunday cruiser every mile I'm not in the canyons so I need stuff that will work on the street. I do a canyon run 1-2 times month if time permits. Not always on such aggressive roads though.

94 completely stock and no plans to track or autocross.
Prefer not to do the C5 upgrade bc I think I'd have to ditch the sawblades

Everything here got great reviews like 4.5 stars or higher:

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/C...15A2683A1.aspx

and after some research I keep seeing some of the same brands but would like to hear your recommendations. Thanks!

Last edited by jay23ls; 07-10-2017 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:36 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Goto Hawk and look at their pad selections.
I would consider fresh rotors for a better grip with the new pads.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:11 PM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

Received 192 Likes on 151 Posts

I wonder if a simple air dam bolted to the brakes would be worth the effort.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:14 PM
QZRBLU
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jay23ls
Ladies and gents I give you two of the most fun and challenging canyon roads in probably the entire country:

I use inertia/change in direction and the engine to slow the car down of course but need some solid brakes! I know my way around a canyon so I need something better than what avg joe on a typical spirited drive would use. That and there are a ton of back to back turns on these roads. Yes, I always try to be safe, know the car well, always stay in my lane, drive when there's little to no traffic as well.

What do you guys recommend?? Can do both pads and rotors, not sure if I'll need to do calipers.
Budget is like $350 - $500. I drive the car like a Sunday cruiser every mile I'm not in the canyons so I need stuff that will work on the street. I do a canyon run 1-2 times month if time permits. Not always on such aggressive roads though.

94 completely stock and no plans to track or autocross.
Prefer not to do the C5 upgrade bc I think I'd have to ditch the sawblades

Everything here got great reviews like 4.5 stars or higher:

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/C...15A2683A1.aspx

and after some research I keep seeing some of the same brands but would like to hear your recommendations. Thanks!
Jay,
I would second the Hawk recomendation, I replaced my original pads with the Hawk ceramic street pads and they improved my braking tremendously on my J55 equipped '90.

Hwy 23 is know as Decker Canyon and yes, it is a lot of fun with no traffic or enforcement. I get over there every time I'm in Komifornia.
Another one to play on is Hwy 33 from Ojai to Hwy 166. Perfect blacktop and little enforcement on weekdays. You may not see another car for 50 miles.
The following users liked this post:
JrRifleCoach (07-11-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 07:30 PM
NavAir
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ex-x-fire
I wonder if a simple air dam bolted to the brakes would be worth the effort.
I would agree. Something as simple as some SCAT tubing running from a high pressure area in the front of the car to the front rotors would cool them and make them more resistant to fade. Rears would be harder to use this approach, but most of your braking is from the front anyway...

Total cost would be < $50, including some Adel clamps to secure the SCAT tubing.

Steve
Old 07-10-2017, 11:47 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Done it stock, done it with high performance pads on GS brakes calipers. I also have a 6 speed and used it.

Also did a round with some other cars in the C5, stock brakes as well. Upgraded to better pads and it makes all the difference in the world, if you don't mind a lot of noise and dust.

Explore out, there are other canyons there too. Lots!

One of those turns on hwy 23, I came around pretty quick, there were plums or something all over the road. 2 kids started running. They put their miata around a telephone pole. they declined help.

Malibu canyon used to have 2 cars off the side. Highway patrol said they will leave em there. Piuma rd goes up in elevation, and you could see them from there if you hit the right look out spot.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:09 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

We don't have canyons around here, but we have twisty 2 lane country roads which I like to drive. My car came with ceramic pads on it when I bought it and I like them. They take a little warming up, but once up to temp they grip very well.

On a side note, mine seemed sloppy in curves when I got it. I was going to change out the bushings on it till I found the Banski Motorsport rear end kit. I put the trailing arms, camber rods and toe rod kits on my 86. They did wonders keeping the tires planted in the curves. I realize it's outside of your budget for now but you might want to consider it for the future. They really help in how it sounds like you want to enjoy your car. They also work well on the street also so it's a win-win proposition.

Last edited by hcbph; 07-11-2017 at 06:10 AM.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:06 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Take a look at the Carbotech compounds. Here are 2 I recommend below. If interested I will be happy to discuss with you.

Carbotech™ 1521™

The Carbotech™ 1521™ is our high performance street compound. The 1521™ compound is known for its release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. 1521™ is also a very low dusting and low noise compound with an excellent initial bite. This compound's excellent linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Carbotech™ 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 800°F (426°C+). 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle or fleet vehicle. Carbotech™ 1521™ is NOT recommended for ANY track use.

Carbotech™ AX6™

The AX6™ is specifically engineered for Autocross applications. A high torque brake compound delivering reliable and consistent performance over a very wide operating temperature range of 50°F to 1000°F + (10°C to 537°C+). The advanced compound matrix provides an excellent initial bite, high coefficient of friction at lower temperatures along with very progressive brake modulation and release characteristics. Many drivers use the AX6™ for street driving as well, even though Carbotech™ doesn't recommend street driving with AX6™ due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise. AX6™ is NOT recommended as a race compound in most applications.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
The following users liked this post:
jay23ls (07-11-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 03:37 PM
jay23ls
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by QZRBLU
Jay,
I would second the Hawk recomendation, I replaced my original pads with the Hawk ceramic street pads and they improved my braking tremendously on my J55 equipped '90.

Hwy 23 is know as Decker Canyon and yes, it is a lot of fun with no traffic or enforcement. I get over there every time I'm in Komifornia.
Another one to play on is Hwy 33 from Ojai to Hwy 166. Perfect blacktop and little enforcement on weekdays. You may not see another car for 50 miles.
Hwy 33 is next on my list! I'm planning on making it an overnight trip. I live about an hour from there so that plus a 2 hr cruise makes for a 6 hr round trip. I'm just going to spend the night somewhere towards the end. and set up some camera stuff to get some nice video.

Don't know if you guys watch the Youtube show One Take but Hwy 33 is where they usually film. Thats how I found out about it. I spent like an hour trying to figure out where they drive bc they never talk about it!

They do a C4 here. Havent seen this one so don't know if they do it justice:

Old 07-11-2017, 03:41 PM
jay23ls
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hcbph
We don't have canyons around here, but we have twisty 2 lane country roads which I like to drive. My car came with ceramic pads on it when I bought it and I like them. They take a little warming up, but once up to temp they grip very well.

On a side note, mine seemed sloppy in curves when I got it. I was going to change out the bushings on it till I found the Banski Motorsport rear end kit. I put the trailing arms, camber rods and toe rod kits on my 86. They did wonders keeping the tires planted in the curves. I realize it's outside of your budget for now but you might want to consider it for the future. They really help in how it sounds like you want to enjoy your car. They also work well on the street also so it's a win-win proposition.
Hell yeah I want to do upgrades haha thanks for the info! maybe in a couple yrs
Old 07-11-2017, 03:58 PM
jay23ls
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the recommendations on Hawk pads guys.

Do you guys know what high performance street Hawk pads dont make a lot of noise? Prefer less noise than less dust if thats even possible lol
Old 07-11-2017, 07:27 PM
QZRBLU
Racer

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jay23ls
Thanks for the recommendations on Hawk pads guys.

Do you guys know what high performance street Hawk pads don't make a lot of noise? Prefer less noise than less dust if thats even possible lol
Jay,
I have the Hawk Performance Ceramic street pads on my '90 and they
bite good, super quiet and no dust. I think they are the best choice for
street pads. The HPS pads can be a little dirty and noisy when cold.

That video you posted is NOT Hwy 33 but Encinal Canyon from Mulholland to PCH, he made a U-turn about 3 miles from the coast.
That road and Stunt road are two more of my favorites when I'm out there. Breakfast at the Rock Store and then a day of running the canyons. I've heated my Hawk ceramic pads to the point they smoke a little on 23 but they have never shown any fading. My stock pads
faded big-time up on 23 near the Madera (Olsen Rd) off ramp North of 101. I had jumped up to about 95MPH to get around some traffic and make that off ramp.
I hit the brakes (stock pads) hard and they felt like wooden blocks, very little slowing and a slight vibration in the pedal. I ordered the Hawk pads that night.

Last edited by QZRBLU; 07-11-2017 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:51 PM
A Peter C4
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

I am looking at Brake Performance site they have s slotted drilled kit with pads 4 wheels warranty lifetime for $270. I have not got this for my 94 Coupe yet, it is on my todo list as my brakes are near new pads ond good rotors, but I want this kit on my car I have used these brakes and need to upgrade. The kit with the semi metallic pads and black zinc coated.

Last edited by A Peter C4; 07-11-2017 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:39 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

all those roads in malibu are heavily patrolled running hard through theres a bust;same with the road to ojai
Didnt have good luck with any of those upgraded pads..sucked til they got hot then dealt with noise or lots of dust. Put a fresh set of rotors on some wagner pads then the car stopped right.

if you want a tight challenging road try mt baldy. Very tight switchbacks, watch out for bicyclists they take the whole friggin lane and then some coming down
Not worth it anymore these days too risky. Hit one person youre locked up for a long time.

Last edited by cv67; 07-12-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:23 PM
QZRBLU
Racer

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
all those roads in Malibu are heavily patrolled running hard through there's a bust;same with the road to ojai
The road to Ojai isn't much fun, it's a commuter route from the Santa Barbara side and slow poke heaven from the Santa Paula side on Hwy 150. Weekdays on 33 are a blast, as I mentioned, almost no enforcement. I used to ride my bikes up there every Friday morning for breakfast at Pine Mtn Inn (now closed).
You ARE correct about any of the canyon roads in the Malibu area on the weekends. Weekdays are hit and miss for enforcement.

Mick
Old 07-12-2017, 03:28 PM
jay23ls
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by QZRBLU
Jay,
I have the Hawk Performance Ceramic street pads on my '90 and they
bite good, super quiet and no dust. I think they are the best choice for
street pads. The HPS pads can be a little dirty and noisy when cold.

That video you posted is NOT Hwy 33 but Encinal Canyon from Mulholland to PCH, he made a U-turn about 3 miles from the coast.
That road and Stunt road are two more of my favorites when I'm out there. Breakfast at the Rock Store and then a day of running the canyons. I've heated my Hawk ceramic pads to the point they smoke a little on 23 but they have never shown any fading. My stock pads
faded big-time up on 23 near the Madera (Olsen Rd) off ramp North of 101. I had jumped up to about 95MPH to get around some traffic and make that off ramp.
I hit the brakes (stock pads) hard and they felt like wooden blocks, very little slowing and a slight vibration in the pedal. I ordered the Hawk pads that night.
You're right. I hadnt seen the video, had just found it.

Thanks for the review. The Hawk Ceramics are one of my top choices right now. And hey I know that exit, small world
Old 07-12-2017, 03:29 PM
jay23ls
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by A Peter C4
I am looking at Brake Performance site they have s slotted drilled kit with pads 4 wheels warranty lifetime for $270. I have not got this for my 94 Coupe yet, it is on my todo list as my brakes are near new pads ond good rotors, but I want this kit on my car I have used these brakes and need to upgrade. The kit with the semi metallic pads and black zinc coated.
Are you talking about the z23 Powerstop kit? It got great reviews on autoanything but I dont know if it would be much of a stop and bite upgrade over new OEM pads.

Last edited by jay23ls; 07-12-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:45 PM
jay23ls
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
all those roads in malibu are heavily patrolled running hard through theres a bust;same with the road to ojai
Didnt have good luck with any of those upgraded pads..sucked til they got hot then dealt with noise or lots of dust. Put a fresh set of rotors on some wagner pads then the car stopped right.

if you want a tight challenging road try mt baldy. Very tight switchbacks, watch out for bicyclists they take the whole friggin lane and then some coming down
Not worth it anymore these days too risky. Hit one person youre locked up for a long time.
I've only been on Hwy 23 once and there were no cops so I cant say anything about that one. I know Latigo is very popular so I bet you're right.

I agree w/ risks being high but too high depends on how extreme the driving really is. Whats aggressive or risky to me isn't to someone who really knows those canyon roads and really pushes the limits of their car. I got passed by a modded 350Z and e46 M3 running together on one of those roads like a scene out of the early Fast & Furious movies. They must have been through there 50 times w/ the confidence they had. They'd definitely get pulled over at the speeds they were going.

On Hwy 23, there are so many tight curves in one section that you really cant speed. I always stay in my lane. If someone hits me on a tight turn its bc they went outside of theirs.

Having gone through a kind of speeding phase when I was younger really gives me a sense of the risk and consequences. Thats so hard to grasp when you're really new to driving or new to a fast car.

Didnt' know about mt baldy. Thanks! There's even a road leading up to it that looks good.

Last edited by jay23ls; 07-12-2017 at 03:55 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To What brake upgrades to tackle these canyon runs?

Quick Reply: What brake upgrades to tackle these canyon runs?