C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Battery Drain from Stock Tape DRive on 86 Vert, Help Please?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 11:14 AM
Bogey
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Battery Drain from Stock Tape DRive on 86 Vert, Help Please?

Hey folks, can anyone help me here, please?
the stock tape drive in my wife's 86 pacecar Vert will intermittently keep "clicking" (we were told by local audio shop its reverse repeating) after you turn off the car. sometimes it will stop in a couple of minutes, other times it'll keep doing it til it drains the battery.

I don't want to replace it with a newer unit/cd etc,, it does just fine for what she wants.

My fix would be to yank the fuse when it does this, then put it back next time she drives it (about 3 times a week),, but the RDO fuse didn't fix it and the courtesy lamp fuse didn't shut it off either,,,

Anyone out there know which fuse to pull to stop this thing?

Or anyone out ther haave a working stock radio/tape player for sale, cheap?
I thought about buying midamerica's batteries drain protection device or even their battery shutoff ****,, but I still can;t believe pulling a fuse won't fix it?/

Thanks!!
Bogey
Indianapolis :confused: :confused: :)
Old 10-01-2002, 10:05 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Battery Drain from Stock Tape DRive on 86 Vert, Help Please? (Bogey)

I think your radio is just like my 87. The tape player is part of the radio and gets its power from the radio fuse, so there is no separate fuse you can pull to disable it. You could go inside the radio and disconnect the power to the tape player, but why not instead get the tape player repaired when you remove the radio?
Old 10-01-2002, 10:27 PM
BBA
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Battery Drain from Stock Tape DRive on 86 Vert, Help Please? (Bogey)

It's the cigarette lighter fuse that provides constant non-switched power to the radio.
Old 10-02-2002, 12:00 AM
Ricks1989Roadster
Instructor

I still have my stock head unit from my 89. Is your system Bose or non-Bose? I will let it go cheap.
Old 10-02-2002, 10:31 AM
Bogey
Advanced

Default Re: Battery Drain from Stock Tape DRive on 86 Vert, Help Please? (Ricks1989Roadster)

Rick, I think It's Bose, that's what the speaker Covers say anyway,, I'll check today at noon,,

Email me off line at mredmond50@hotmail.com with the price, if it's cheap enough, and the 86 and 89 ar "plug compatible", I may just buy it..

Thanks for your reply and help

Mark Redmond
Old 10-02-2002, 10:35 AM
Bogey
Advanced

Default Re: Battery Drain from Stock Tape DRive on 86 Vert, Help Please? (BBA)

I pulled that fuse, and almost all the others and the thing just kept clicking for about 3 minutes,, then went off, which if it would do that all the time, I'd live with,, but sometimes it keep going on forever, thus the battery drain,, Is it possible that due to the memory or something that after you pull the fuse,,it wouod stay hot and click for a few minutes then be ok?

Old 10-02-2002, 10:49 AM
Bogey
Advanced

Default Re: Battery Drain from Stock Tape DRive on 86 Vert, Help Please? (jfb)

JFB, wife is cheap, doesn't use tape player, so disconnecting power to it would be great,, can you, or anyone else out ther tell me how to do that??

Thanks!!!
Old 10-02-2002, 10:01 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

My 87 is being painted and I have the radio out since it finally won't start working anymore by hitting the front. The tape player is on the bottom of the radio, so if you remove the radio and remove the bottom cover, you can unplug the connector on the left side of the tape player. Now I don't know if that will affect the radio because I don't have my car to try it and I don't have a schematic of the radio. I have a friend that designed these radio's when he worked at Delco Radio in Kokomo , Indiana and has agreed to let me borrow his engineering book on my radio so I can fix it, but so far, no schematic. You can try this and plug the radio back into the car without bolting it up and then try the radio and find out if unplugging the connector on the tape player affected it. If not, I will see if there is a way to disable the player when I get the promised schematic.
Old 10-03-2002, 03:34 PM
Bogey
Advanced

Default Re: Battery Drain from Stock Tape DRive on 86 Vert, Help Please? (jfb)

to all,,
Thanks,, I puilled the radio, took out the tape drive, put the radio back in and it seems ok,, solved the prob temporarily..

Thanks to all!! :D

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Drain from Stock Tape DRive on 86 Vert, Help Please?

Quick Reply: Battery Drain from Stock Tape DRive on 86 Vert, Help Please?