C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Engine stalling

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 03:59 PM
dpivarnick
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine stalling

I took out my 94 C4 this morning. drove about 2 miles stopped at a traffic light and my engine stalled out. The engine quickly restarted, turned a corner to head home and the engine stalled again. Restarted the engine drove home keeping one foot on the gas one on the brake to keep idle up.
Anyone encounter a similar situation? Also when the engine stalls the check gauges light comes on.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:26 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by dpivarnick
......... Also when the engine stalls the check gauges light comes on.

CHECK ENGINE light means a trouble code has been set.

Two links that will help read codes:

http://www.corvettebuyers.com/c4vettes/ecm.htm

http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2011...trouble-codes/

Last edited by don hall; 05-11-2017 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:17 PM
Lt4-396
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I took out my 94 C4 this morning. drove about 2 miles stopped at a traffic light and my engine stalled out. The engine quickly restarted, turned a corner to head home and the engine stalled again. Restarted the engine drove home keeping one foot on the gas one on the brake to keep idle up.
Anyone encounter a similar situation? Also when the engine stalls the check gauges light comes on.

What is your digital temperature gauge reading?
If you can hook up a scanner and look at the ECT and make sure it reads the same as the digital gauge.

A loose connection will trick the computer into thinking the car is -40 and dump way to much gas into the motor and it will stall.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:27 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

I'm thinking the IAC may be the problem. These symptoms are classic of the idle motor being bad. Engine idling to slow and just stalls but will start right back up. And holding foot on gas pedal keeps the RPMs up and engine keeps running.

I would remove it, clean it, check it, check carbon build up and replace it if it looks bad.

Not ready to think ICM or fuel at this time.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:12 AM
dpivarnick
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine stalling

I'm not very knowledgeable about abbreviations, IAC means?

Originally Posted by pcolt94
I'm thinking the IAC may be the problem. These symptoms are classic of the idle motor being bad. Engine idling to slow and just stalls but will start right back up. And holding foot on gas pedal keeps the RPMs up and engine keeps running.

I would remove it, clean it, check it, check carbon build up and replace it if it looks bad.

Not ready to think ICM or fuel at this time.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:33 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

I'm not very knowledgeable about abbreviations, IAC means?
IAC - Idle air control.

A device on the throttle body that the computer controls to adjust the idle of the engine in regard to engine load and target idle speed. The variables are AC, engine temperature and accessory load are just a few.

The computer drives the stepper motor which adjusts a plunger to let more or less air into the throttle body. This in turn changes the idle speed. If the motor jams or does not respond correctly, the idle can either not be varied or go to low where the engine cannot keep running.

It's a common problem and sometimes things can be cleaned up and may work for a while. In my experience the clean up does not last but is a good verification the motor is bad. If I think its bad, I just replace it cause I'm not getting stuck if I know something is a problem and I can avoid it (that's just me, don't cheap out.)
Old 05-12-2017, 04:09 PM
dorri732
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by seabright
CHECK ENGINE light means a trouble code has been set.

Two links that will help read codes:

http://www.corvettebuyers.com/c4vettes/ecm.htm

http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2011...trouble-codes/
OP stated 'check gauges' light. Not check engine.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine stalling

Quick Reply: Engine stalling