C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Help Me Identify These Things

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 07:02 AM
Luis Cotto
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Me Identify These Things

Hello everyone,

I have been working on putting my 84, after just having the valve covers and air cleaner cover powder coated. While I was removing the parts I noticed a new vacuum lines disconnected or blocked off. I would like to have the car put back to factory as best as possible. So I need little help figuring out where these go. I have done a tone of research but I am still unclear, so I am hoping you guy could help.

In this picture, the harder hose on the right has what looks to be part of possibly a T broken off inside. The right side did not have a hose connected to it.

In this picture you can see two vacume lines that are T'ed off at the real throttle body. I believe these go under the air cleaner and provide vacuum to the flaps in there. But would like to confirm.

In this last picture you can see these ports have been closed off, is that correct, should they be?

An lastly in this video, I found this tucked away under my carpet under the gas pedal, I have no idea what it is, but I have a feeling it might have to do with the E-Break.

View My Video

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:27 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Does e E-brake work?
Old 04-06-2017, 11:57 AM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 444 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
Does e E-brake work?
The cable I believe is the Reverse lock cable, you know can't get the key back until in park or reverse
Old 04-06-2017, 10:30 PM
Luis Cotto
Heel & Toe

Default Nope

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
Does e E-brake work?
It does not works.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:31 PM
Luis Cotto
Heel & Toe

Default Stick Shift

Originally Posted by s carter
The cable I believe is the Reverse lock cable, you know can't get the key back until in park or reverse
Sorry forgot to mention the cars a 4 speed.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:21 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Pic #1: The vacuum check valve goes to hose at the left port of the rear TB. This hose is visible at the left edge of picture (with date code printed on the hose).
Pic #2: These hoses should be attached the air filter base, and are for the thermal sensors and the warm-up flaps. There are clips on the air filter base to hold the hoses. When you remove the air filter base, disconnect this hose from the TB, and leave these hoses attached to the filter base.
Pic #3: These ports are for balancing the TB's, if the TB's are ever removed from the manifold top plate. They should remain sealed except for testing. The plastic tube shown from the front TB must not touch the EGR body, as it will melt!

Old 04-07-2017, 10:40 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,143 Likes on 846 Posts

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znet...528008fdc5.gif

Here you go; diagrams made easy.

I had an '82 with the identical set up. Your engine will run WAY better if you put it all back to factory. Also, keep an eye on the hose condition as cracks in the ends could cause a vacuum leak and your engine will run like Sh*t.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:04 AM
Luis Cotto
Heel & Toe

Default Still need help

I still have no idea what this part is (in green) or where it connects. Anyone out there have some more info on this. I am so close to having this done, everyone here has been a big help.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:56 AM
Luis Cotto
Heel & Toe

Default New Finding

Latest finding, is this little hose I found tucked away basically under the distributer. A buddy of mine has an older Camaro that has the same line connected to his check valve. I have just the one last line left to figure out.

Any ideas, or should someone take a picture of there 84 for me. This is driving me nuts.

also while I was following the line from the check valve, that lead to the circular vacuum container I found this disconnected, anyone know what this is or where is connects?

Old 04-11-2017, 02:20 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
Pic #1: The vacuum check valve goes to hose at the left port of the rear TB. This hose is visible at the left edge of picture (with date code printed on the hose).
Oops! Brain fade! Checked my '84 again. That vacuum check valve tube goes to the manifold vacuum port toward the back of the manifold. The power brake booster hose goes to the manifold vacuum port closer to the TBI. Hare's a pic for you:

Your tach filter needs to be mounted to a manifold bolt for a good electrical ground. Yes, I swapped L/R rocker covers, to stay away from that delicate pressure switch on the a/c compressor and the bulky wiring bundle on the right side of the engine.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:35 PM
Luis Cotto
Heel & Toe

Default So Here is what is working for me

After checking your photos and also looking at a friends older camaro, they also have the same check valve. After a ton of research and some trial by error, this is basically my setup. Everything seems to be working very well, and the car idles perfectly fine. If I have a chance I will do what I can to take a video also. Lastly sorry my Microsoft Paint skills are not the best lol.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:56 PM
frank j. moran
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis Cotto
After checking your photos and also looking at a friends older camaro, they also have the same check valve. After a ton of research and some trial by error, this is basically my setup. Everything seems to be working very well, and the car idles perfectly fine. If I have a chance I will do what I can to take a video also. Lastly sorry my Microsoft Paint skills are not the best lol.

Thanks everyone for the help.

On the check valve, one of the ports goes through the fire wall to provide vacuum to the AC temp control head assembly. If this is the one, the plastic tubing is often broken and buried behind the distributor. The check valve is to let vacuum flow one direction, and also act as a check valve in the event you had an intake back fire and pressurize the intake etc. You should also have vacuum going to the cruise control unit. Hope this helps.

Get notified of new replies

To Help Me Identify These Things

Quick Reply: Help Me Identify These Things