C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 Corvette automatic 700r4

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 11:04 PM
Pool
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 Corvette automatic 700r4

What controls the shift points in a 1985 700r4? Does the computer make all the decisions based on speed and throttle position? Does the valve body in the transmission have any control?
I would like to raise the shift points for around town driving. The car shifts into 3rd and 4th gear at very low RPMs, the engine lugs, it's annoying. More throttle raises the shift points, as well as the acceleration to the point that is draws too much attention from the guys in blue.
The only solution is to shift the car manually.
Can anything be done? Or should I just shift manually and shut up? lol
Old 04-05-2017, 11:40 PM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

The governor changes shift points, you can buy a Superior trans recalibration kit off ebay. Diff combos react diff, so make small changes n see what happens. Few threads on here so try a search.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:54 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Make sure your tv cable is adjusted correctly.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:06 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
Make sure your tv cable is adjusted correctly.

I set my tv cable so there is no slack at full throttle, I has an effect on shift points as well as fluid pressure.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:53 AM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 75 Posts

IIRC, the valve body in the tranny controls the shift points based on throttle position and speed. The ECM controls when the converter locks and unlocks.

I have the same issue and am working on getting an EPROM burned to lock the converter later. Early 85 models in an effort to improve fuel milage lock the converter at 15mph and light throttle. Later versions lock above 40mph. Look at your EPROM to find out which you have.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:07 PM
oldguy'sc4
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silver85
IIRC, the valve body in the tranny controls the shift points based on throttle position and speed. The ECM controls when the converter locks and unlocks.

I have the same issue and am working on getting an EPROM burned to lock the converter later. Early 85 models in an effort to improve fuel milage lock the converter at 15mph and light throttle. Later versions lock above 40mph. Look at your EPROM to find out which you have.
Previous discussions on this issue have mentioned HLH3200 as the later EPROM that you will need to move the shift points. I have not had an opportunity to acquire this later version for my 85, but look forward to doing so.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:21 PM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by oldguy'sc4
Previous discussions on this issue have mentioned HLH3200 as the later EPROM that you will need to move the shift points. I have not had an opportunity to acquire this later version for my 85, but look forward to doing so.
That's the one. There are copies of the .bin file floating around on the web or you can have the person programming it just adjust yours.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:59 PM
oldguy'sc4
Intermediate

That's the one. There are copies of the .bin file floating around on the web or you can have the person programming it just adjust yours.
I am not electronically knowledgeable. Are you saying that my present eprom can be reprogrammed if I can locate the later version bin file?
Old 04-09-2017, 10:02 PM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

I am not electronically knowledgeable. Are you saying that my present eprom can be reprogrammed if I can locate the later version bin file?
Yes. The file is available and a custom program can be had. Either programmed onto your existing EPROM or a new one all together.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:20 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by gerardvg

I set my tv cable so there is no slack at full throttle, I has an effect on shift points as well as fluid pressure.
That is not the correct criterion to be looking at. The correct one is: does it have no slack at IDLE?
Old 04-10-2017, 03:56 PM
RF1
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Pool
What controls the shift points in a 1985 700r4? Does the computer make all the decisions based on speed and throttle position? Does the valve body in the transmission have any control?
I would like to raise the shift points for around town driving. The car shifts into 3rd and 4th gear at very low RPMs, the engine lugs, it's annoying. More throttle raises the shift points, as well as the acceleration to the point that is draws too much attention from the guys in blue.
The only solution is to shift the car manually.
Can anything be done? Or should I just shift manually and shut up? lol
Line pressure (as determined by tv system) combined with the governor create the shift points.

Confirm the tv cable is properly adjusted as per the service manual, and see if it improves. It may not. The early C4's did short shift.
If you suspect the governor, pop off the cover, and inspect. Be sure the valve moves freely, and the gear is not "apple cored". If it is, disassemble, clean, and install a new gear.

If you then want to change shift points, you will need a governor recalibration kit, and invest some sweat equity.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:44 PM
oldguy'sc4
Intermediate

Yes. The file is available and a custom program can be had. Either programmed onto your existing EPROM or a new one all together.
I would like to try this on a new eprom, but I have not been able to locate a p/n for the eprom itself. Can anyone tell me where to look?
Old 04-12-2017, 10:28 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 1,964 Posts

I would like to try this on a new eprom, but I have not been able to locate a p/n for the eprom itself. Can anyone tell me where to look?
Are you sure you can change shift points on the EPROM program for your year?
Old 04-13-2017, 01:22 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Shift points are controlled by the governor and the tv cable via line pressure. The ecm controls converter lockup.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:06 PM
oldguy'sc4
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 383vett
Shift points are controlled by the governor and the tv cable via line pressure. The ecm controls converter lockup.
Thanks to all for the great info, really helping me get this sorted out.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:03 PM
70ZZ3 96LT4
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default my 1985

Thanks to all for the great info, really helping me get this sorted out.
I did not like the way my 1985 which was bought in 1992 with 700R4 shifted so I changed it the cheap way. I have installed a wire to a dash placed switch that inhibits the torque converter from functioning. Leave my torque converter off for in the city driving. I told my wife when she goes to the grocery store to just drive in second gear, speed limit is just 30 mph. I will put the torque converter in use when I get on a highway.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:58 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 1,964 Posts

Originally Posted by 70ZZ3 96LT4
I did not like the way my 1985 which was bought in 1992 with 700R4 shifted so I changed it the cheap way. I have installed a wire to a dash placed switch that inhibits the torque converter from functioning. Leave my torque converter off for in the city driving. I told my wife when she goes to the grocery store to just drive in second gear, speed limit is just 30 mph. I will put the torque converter in use when I get on a highway.
What happens if you leave your's in "D" instead of "OD"?
Old 04-17-2017, 10:15 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,452 Posts

op, I had a 1985 up until last November and I got to the very bottom, the root of your problem. I felt the same I hated the way it felt like it was stack shifting.

it is in fact not shifting early.

it is engaging the torque converter almost instantly after entering into second third & overdrive.

it was done like this to meet mile per gallon requirements.

however the complaints were loud, and GM did release an updated prom chip for the 1985.
Your problem will be solved by simply buying this chip spending a couple of hours pulling your Computer out and swapping the prom chip.again, just for clarity, your transmission shift points are just fine.It is the early engagement of the torque converter that is controlled by the ECM and it feels like it's shifting to early into the next gear. It's not. But it feels like it is.

there is the off chance that a previous owner messed with the governor. Which is a mechanical device that controls your shift points of the transmission itself. But chances are very slim that happened. Chances are you're just experiencing the early lugging as the stock 1985 ecm engages the tourqe converter too soon.

hlm 3200 is what u r after.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/3830279-1985-corvette-early-tc-lockup-shorted-ecu.html

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 04-17-2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:47 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
op, I had a 1985 up until last November and I got to the very bottom, the root of your problem. I felt the same I hated the way it felt like it was stack shifting.

it is in fact not shifting early.

it is engaging the torque converter almost instantly after entering into second third & overdrive.

it was done like this to meet mile per gallon requirements.

however the complaints were loud, and GM did release an updated prom chip for the 1985.
Your problem will be solved by simply buying this chip spending a couple of hours pulling your Computer out and swapping the prom chip.again, just for clarity, your transmission shift points are just fine.It is the early engagement of the torque converter that is controlled by the ECM and it feels like it's shifting to early into the next gear. It's not. But it feels like it is.

there is the off chance that a previous owner messed with the governor. Which is a mechanical device that controls your shift points of the transmission itself. But chances are very slim that happened. Chances are you're just experiencing the early lugging as the stock 1985 ecm engages the tourqe converter too soon.

hlm 3200 is what u r after.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...orted-ecu.html
15 or so years ago when i noticed the converter lock up causing a jarring sensation, when lifting the foot of the accelerator and accelerating again in traffic at slow speeds.
It was an added bonus when i fitted a hyper tech chip, see the link below. It has the changed converter lock up speeds making it better to drive.

Not that i recommend the chips, it did not really make any noticable difference in engine performance ....

http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...050f&ukey=6056

http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...050f&ukey=6053
The following users liked this post:
WOGI (05-03-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 Corvette automatic 700r4

Quick Reply: 1985 Corvette automatic 700r4