C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

4+3 Specific Question re gthe Overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 05:13 PM
IHBD
Instructor

Received 1,696 Likes on 1,301 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Default 4+3 Specific Question re gthe Overdrive

thanks for reading

Last edited by IHBD; 03-16-2020 at 12:25 AM.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:51 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,269 Likes on 1,451 Posts

subbed!
Old 11-16-2016, 10:04 PM
frank j. moran
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
My first post under this username, but I've been here for years under another name, but forget the login.

My 1985's Overdrive has developed a specific quirk. I'm hoping someone that's had one apart, and understands what's in there can help me understand what is actually happening. I've owned this car since new, I know how it is supposed to behave, and the light comes on when I push the button, so the control circuit is working. It's not electrical.

After the coolant warms up, it shifts into overdrive normally. After its been driven awhile, perhaps 1/2 hour or so at highway speed, I push the button, the light comes on, it comes out of direct, but does not engage overdrive. It just kind of "freewheels", if I add throttle, the revs increase to direct speed, and the sprag engages. If I just coast along for 5-10 seconds, maybe reving it gently to 1500 or so, it will eventually engage overdrive with a terrific BANG, then its fine until the next engagement, or the next day.

The way I read the diagram, the piston engages overdrive, then continues on to disengage direct. So I'm baffled as to how direct is disengaged first. Any ideas welcomed. Thank you.
I'm no expert, though I have rebuilt 2 of these over the years. When you select OD a clutch pack is applied and it locks the carrier that contains a planetary gear set. You are now running through the planet set which is mated to the output shaft in the OD unit. When you say the car will coast, it is because the clutch pack is not being applied. A problem with the early unit is a large tanged thrust washer starts to hang up, this washer or bearing pushes on the direct clutch piston, this action brings the planet set into play. Again, I,m no expert, but both of my units needed the thrust bearing, it starts to break up and gets caught in the case.
Hopefully I'm all wrong.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:31 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,269 Likes on 1,451 Posts

is this the sort of thing that can happen just from old fluid? With gunk in it? could you try doing a fluid flush or a drain & fill? or would that not be expected to give any results?
Old 11-17-2016, 09:18 AM
frank j. moran
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
Thank You.

I've read about the thrust washer. I'll study the refrence material I have and understand this washer better. The way you describe it, the tangs have to 'slide' in the grooves in the case to allow overdrive to engage?

This unit was redone under the 36,000 mile, 3 year powertrain warranty when the car was 2 years old, and had 17,000 miles on it. The carrier bearing began making noise. A few years back, I looked at the paperwork, and most of the updated parts were installed at that time. It's been fine for 29 years, although it doesn't get driven a lot. It just turned 50,000 this summer.

The 85 has a TV cable. I was hoping it had something to do with the TV system, but I know it doesn't if it tries to shift, but doesn't engage at all. When the thing had a TV issue, it would slip in overdrive.

Something (thrust washer) hanging up makes perfect sense to me, and fits the symptoms. I've never seen the insides, you have. You helped me understand. I guess it has to come out and apart.

Thanks again.
Before you jump into it, confirm every thing else is in order. As suggested, drop the pan, if you see tiny metal piece's, bronze or gold in color that is a sure indication the thrust washer is failing. This washer is about 4 inche's in dia. and about .075 thick. Not very robust.

Get notified of new replies

To 4+3 Specific Question re gthe Overdrive

Quick Reply: 4+3 Specific Question re gthe Overdrive