C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How do I get the brake closer to the throttle to double clutch better HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 06:37 PM
lt4c4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I get the brake closer to the throttle to double clutch better HELP!!!!!

Ok Just got back from the skip barber three day race course in a word AWSOM I will post my review later on.Ok learned alot.Double clutching I knew how to do it.But not thr right way.In the mini F1 cars it is eaiser the brake and the gas are very close.When you threshold brake you just rool your foot over blip throttle clutch in gear.In my 96 lt4 the brake is too far away does anyone make a kit or know how to modify to get the same result.I know you must set the brake must be ajusted so at threshold the pedals are even.If anyone can answer this question its my friends on the fourm.Please help I got the race bug now(only on the track)I an going back next year to take the 2 day RT course so I can get my cart lic to race in the skip barber series.Thanks in advance :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
Old 09-17-2002, 07:10 PM
blk90rdstr
Drifting

Default Re: How do I get the brake closer to the throttle to double clutch better HELP!!!!! (lt4c4)

you could take a pedal assembly from a wreck and weld it in position with a spacer. You might wan to have a good certified welder do this. :smash:
Old 09-17-2002, 08:25 PM
Rob 93ZR-1
Race Director

Location: Fear causes hesitaiton...and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true. Houston TX
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: How do I get the brake closer to the throttle to double clutch better HELP!!!!! (blk90rdstr)

If you are talking heal and toe, I'd bent the throttle over and leave the brake pedal alone. If something is gonna break cause I messed w/ it, I don't want it to be the brake pedal.
Old 09-17-2002, 09:04 PM
lt4c4
Racer

Default Re: How do I get the brake closer to the throttle to double clutch better HELP!!!!! (Rob 91Z07)

yes heal to toe is double clutching how do you move the gas pedal??????????????????????????????????? ???????????/ :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
Old 09-17-2002, 09:08 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: How do I get the brake closer to the throttle to double clutch better HELP!!!!! (lt4c4)

Something I've noticed seems a little odd, but it might just give you the same result. I've got a pair of sandals that will allow me to blip the throttle while I'm on the brake. They have got a much thicker sole than the shoes I normally wear, yet they are soft enough you can still "feel" the pedal.
Old 09-17-2002, 09:36 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

There's a guy on ebay selling a gas pedal for 30 cents, buy that and modify it.
Old 09-18-2002, 11:57 AM
pablocruise
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Driving instructor Rupert Bragg-Smith addressed this exact topic in a corvette seminar recently. He recommends welding on an aluminum plate to the brake pedal. He said if anyone needed specific dimentions, he had them back at the school and to call him, and that he would be happy to give the info. The way he described the thing, it definitely sounded do-able.
I saw a guy wear wrestling shoes to the auto-cross the next day. Very thin soles on those. +they are cheaper than "driving" shoes.
Old 09-18-2002, 12:07 PM
Newtoy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also wanted to alter my pedal position but to raise it for my short legs.

Saab sells very high quality pedal extenders that simply bolt on to the existing pedals. You can drill the mounting holes off center to reposition the extender wherever you want. In your case, just move your seat back. These extenders cost only $60.00 for the set of three and unlike welding, they are easily replaced. If you use these, be sure to order their pedal pads since the corvette pads will not fit. You can see these on the web by searching for +saab +pedal +extender. Any dealer can get them for you.
Old 09-18-2002, 01:29 PM
bkhann
Heel & Toe

I solved the problem by using a set of drilled aluminum pedal covers from Pep Boys. I used only the gas pedal cover, and bolted it to the gas pedal (instead of using the bracket that came with it). I found the new gas pedal to be too wide so I ended up bending it down toward the floorboard on the brake pedal side.
I have been using this arrangement for about four years now. I heal/toe by rolling my foot sideways onto the gas pedal while I am breaking.

One of the issues that you may run into with the C4 is if you have big feet, you may have a tendency to apply the throttle when you brake. A very exciting phenomina on a road course. You just have to be very careful when you set up your pedal assembly for heal/toe braking.

Best of luck!

Bob Hann :seeya :seeya :seeya :seeya :seeya
Old 09-18-2002, 02:10 PM
Steel Blue 91
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know if this would work....Buy a brake pedal for an auto and trim down the clutch side. That would put the right edge of the brake closer to the throttle. Less of a movement for the heel-toe action.
Old 09-18-2002, 06:44 PM
foliva
Instructor

What I did was to find a pair of sneakers with a wide sole. This really helps
with the toe-heel downshift. When I run solo II events, I use a pair of wrestling shoes -- they have narrow, soft soles, but they work great since there's no real shifting involved.
Old 09-18-2002, 06:54 PM
Gary K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes heal to toe is double clutching how do you move the gas pedal??????????????????????????????????? ???????????/ :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
Not trying to nitpick, but heal/toe is not double clutching. Heal/toe refers to the fact that you use your toes on the brake pedal while blipping the throttle with your heal to more closely match revs while downshifting under heavy braking.

Double clutching is often used when the syncros are going south and you can't get the tranny into a particular gear(s). You push the clutch in, pull it out of gear, let out the clutch to get the gears up to speed in the tranny, then push the clutch back in a second time and complete the shift by putting the tranny in your gear of choice :)

I'd recommend leaving the brake pedal alone. I'm not a big fan of bolting a plate onto it or extending it. You'd be better off to bolt a plate onto the gas pedal that extends to the left, making it easier to heal/toe. Pedal height also can affect your ability to heal/toe, but changing the pedal height could be a lot harder to do.

Get notified of new replies

To How do I get the brake closer to the throttle to double clutch better HELP!!!!!

Quick Reply: How do I get the brake closer to the throttle to double clutch better HELP!!!!!