C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

96 lt4 will not rev past 3200

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 07:04 PM
frank j. moran
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdone161
I have drained the fuel system, ran till the engine died on reserve then, I added 4 gallons of Mobile premium no ethanol and problem is worse but I'm finally getting a error code 44. Also hooked up my laptop with WINALDL. Not sure how to read this data but the BLM's are 108. After fuel drain and replacement the engine will only idle, it will not rev at all now past about 1200rpm, it falls flat when trying to accelerate the rpm's and die or go back to idle.
Unusual, blm 108 indicates it is taking fuel away?. Check your wireing on the o2 sensor (since you pulled the exh system). I think you have a fuel pressure problem, pull the pump and check the sock and rubber hose connection on the pump (15min). Check the FP regulator at the vacuum hose for fuel, thus the 108 blm. Any vacuum leaks? egr etc.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:09 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Yes, checked again this AM.
Did not look at the link it has a flow arrow and yours is right now we know your o2 is bad and most likely killed your cat. Now change at least the front two o2s and ride.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:11 PM
getrdone161
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 replacement?

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Did not look at the link it has a flow arrow and yours is right now we know your o2 is bad and most likely killed your cat. Now change at least the front two o2s and ride.

Should I replace the O2? I only have 1 and it's reading .450 mv at startup then it goes up and down from there so that gives me reason to believe it is working and sending data. My C4 only has 1 O2 on the driver side exhaust with just 1 wire. This sensor is sending data to WinALDL, I see now the O2 sensor is critical. I just can't confirm it's not working. Knowing this would you still recommend replacing?
Old 01-01-2017, 09:30 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Yours has 4 o2s I would replace the front two they get old and slow and are maintenance items and 30 years old. Others will have you run test that if you do not have the equipment will cost more than the parts. I cannot see it from here and just guessing. But my 94 would bog and fart with no codes. Replaced the front two o2s and never ran better.

How does it run when you first start it before the o2s come into play this would help a lot if it ran god cold.

How is your fuel pressure now when it bogs?

Ohm your injectors any vacuum leaks?

When did this start could even be plugged injectors.

Oh **** I just realized you are not the original poster.

Start a new thread and give YOUR info and lets start over.

What year is your and has your balancer seperated?

Last edited by antfarmer2; 01-01-2017 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:47 AM
getrdone161
Heel & Toe

Default Finally Running!

OK I reconnected the mufflers this AM after the cat so the exhaust system is complete. Last Night I pulled off the MFS and sprayed it with MFS spray from the local auto parts store and reinstalled this AM.
Fired it up and everything is running pretty good!! I had pages from the service manual and was prepared to dive in deeper but just glad this is running.

My best guess is the cat's were originally clogged up but the MFS needed to be removed and cleaned also with spray . I still have some erratic O2 settings on the laptop, WINALDL is showing code #44 still but error code 44 on the dash is not flashing anymore! I will dive into the fine tuning on another thread if I can't find something relevant.

Thanks all for your help Happy New Year!
Old 01-02-2017, 12:15 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

...WINALDL is showing code #44 still but error code 44 on the dash is not flashing anymore! I will dive into the fine tuning on another thread if I can't find something relevant.
Glad you're making progress! These things can be frustrating. Now is probably a good time to clear all the codes, drive it through its readiness drive cycle, and see what codes are set fresh. The drive cycle is on page 6-718 of my FSM:

Old 01-02-2017, 12:23 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

OK I reconnected the mufflers this AM after the cat so the exhaust system is complete. Last Night I pulled off the MFS and sprayed it with MFS spray from the local auto parts store and reinstalled this AM.
Fired it up and everything is running pretty good!! I had pages from the service manual and was prepared to dive in deeper but just glad this is running.

My best guess is the cat's were originally clogged up but the MFS needed to be removed and cleaned also with spray . I still have some erratic O2 settings on the laptop, WINALDL is showing code #44 still but error code 44 on the dash is not flashing anymore! I will dive into the fine tuning on another thread if I can't find something relevant.

Thanks all for your help Happy New Year!
Good job always best to start your own thread to save confusion. It got me this time.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:52 PM
getrdone161
Heel & Toe

Default Solved!! Fuel Injector Failure

Solution!!
Was the Fuel Injectors, 4 did not Ohm out to spec.
Wo Hoo!

Replaced all 8 and this old car runs like brand new! Has never run this good. Thanks to all on this thread!

PS: If you followed the whole thread, I still think the cats were severely clogged. The engine runs cooler now and just seems to breathe better.

Last edited by getrdone161; 01-20-2017 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:01 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,269 Likes on 1,451 Posts

boyah well done!

Solution!!
Was the Fuel Injectors, 4 did not Ohm out to spec.
Wo Hoo!

Replaced all 8 and this old car runs like brand new! Has never run this good. Thanks to all on this thread!

PS: If you followed the whole thread, I still think the cats were severely clogged. The engine runs cooler now and just seems to breathe better.

Quick Reply: 96 lt4 will not rev past 3200