C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Mail order tune

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 11:24 AM
steven mack
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Mail order tune

Does anybody on the forum know of a reputable place to send for a tune on my 400 small block?I know of PCM of NC, formerly known as PCM for less.And Fastchips if their still around.Before you-all start flaming me I am not expecting perfection Just a good all around performer.Thanks for any suggestions and experiences.Steve
Old 09-08-2016, 11:47 AM
cadmaniac
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

On my soap box.....

I got tired of being a hostage to tuners. I tried TPIS. Sucked. Tried PCM for less. Not terrible, but I couldn't get them to do more than the initial tune. No reply to emails. Tried a private tuner. Sucked. Could never get it right, and it always ran like crap. Then you make an engine change, and it starts all over again. UGH!!! Granted it's a 421 with a fair amount of cam but if you cant't tune it, don't tell me you can.

So, I went the carb route for a while. Drove terrific......till you parked it and it vapor locked all the time (I'm in Florida). Enough with the tuners.....Then you try to learn for yourself, and it's never clear exactly what to look at and how to change it. Laptops, cables, hardware. More money wasted because there is no "tuning for dummies" on youtube that step by step shows you what to do the first time.

I just bought into a FITech system. Self tuning, and (hopefully) I don't have to feel like a victim for working on my car. I truly hope it works, cuz I'm seriously over computer tuning and all the dissapointments. Gonna install it this week.......Point is, be careful who you get to tune your car. You can be jaded like me pretty quick after wasting thousands of dollars trying to get your car running right.

Done ranting....seriously though. It has been the most difficult thing ever getting a computer controlled (1990 vette) engine to run right. Then I read about how "easy" it is and how everyone can do it. I can't even figure out how to data log the darn thing, so I must be the stupidest person on this site.

Last edited by cadmaniac; 09-08-2016 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:06 PM
steven mack
Drifting

Well you pretty much said everything I was thinking.I was also looking at FITech.I hope your system works out well for you. It would be an option to consider.Thanks for the input Cadmaniac. If it makes you feel any better I feel The same way as you about me trying to tune my own car.Thanks,Steve

Last edited by steven mack; 09-08-2016 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 09-08-2016, 12:24 PM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 467 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by steven mack
Well you pretty much said everything I was thinking.I was also looking at FITech.I hope your system works out well for you. It would be an option to consider.Thanks for the input Cadmaniac. If it makes you feel any better I feel The same way as you about me trying to tune my own car.Thanks,Steve
Your car should be easier to tune since it is a MAF car vs the SD car. Your best bet is to find a local tuning shop that can run it on the dyno and burn you a chip. Otherwise the sources you listed could get you something.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:26 PM
tomcamaro97
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just got a pcm of NC tune... and asked them about the pcm for less connection... they actually arent the same company, and werent.. just advertised and sent eachother business. i have 2-3 pcm for less tunes that are pretty good.. and the pcm of nc seems good.. but ive got a running issue so i cant really comment yet.. but my buddy has one on his c4 and loves it.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:47 PM
oilyfishhead
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Solomon did my '94 (OBD1) and my '96 Impala SS (OBDII) Good job on both. OBD1 can be done through email with a file that I uploaded to my ECM with my laptop. OBDII needs to be sent in. I like the way both cars run.

http://www.lt1pcmtuning.com/
Old 09-08-2016, 03:19 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Trying to find someplace locally that still does obd1 tuning is like trying to find Jimmy Hoffa. All the money is in newer platforms. I've been wanting to learn myself but like Cadmaniac pointed out the information isn't that easily resourced. And it was so awesome of this site to remove the scan and tune section. It seems even our own forum is against it.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:27 PM
oilyfishhead
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dt86
Trying to find someplace locally that still does obd1 tuning is like trying to find Jimmy Hoffa. All the money is in newer platforms. I've been wanting to learn myself but like Cadmaniac pointed out the information isn't that easily resourced. And it was so awesome of this site to remove the scan and tune section. It seems even our own forum is against it.
Here's some useful information.

http://lt1pcmtuning.com/tips/
The following users liked this post:
Dt86 (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 03:47 PM
steven mack
Drifting

Thanks bjankuski,tomcamaro87,oilyfishhead and Dt86.As to finding a local shop that is an option I am keeping in mind . 9 years ago I went to have a new high performance motor put on a dyno.This was a shop that specialized in corvettes the guy said man I haven't seen this computer in a long time.He told his helper to go up into the attic and get the old equipment so he could dyno my 85.They were a good shop they told me that there tunner would have to drive my Vette back and forth to work to get a proper tune.It made perfect sense because he would be tuning in all driving modes.Tomcamaro97 and Oilyfish thank you for the site recommendations.I will go on line and see what they can do.Keep it coming Guys great feed back,Thanks,Steve
Old 09-08-2016, 04:10 PM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

What's wrong with the various tunes that I provided to you back in 2011? If I can help to dial it in, let me know. Feel free to send me data logs.

Last edited by tequilaboy; 09-08-2016 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:14 PM
steven mack
Drifting

Tequilaboy It's really good to here from you.There is nothing wrong with the tune you sent me I still have the adapter you sent me along with the tunes.I have a different Vette and motor now.I was tempted to try the tunes I still have but don't remember what was in them accept that each chip provided progressive fueling.Thank you so much for the offer to look at my data logs But I'm totally lost when it comes to doing that kind of stuff.Maybe if I gave you a run down on my build of my 400 You could be kind enough to help me again.Thanks Tequilaboy,Steve
Old 09-08-2016, 08:15 PM
steven mack
Drifting

The chips will not go to waste I have the 350 I pulled from my 87 sitting on my engine stand.A good winter project To build and put in another car.Or as my luck would have it,a plan B motor if my 400 goes south on me.Thanks again for remembering me,Steve
Old 09-09-2016, 06:49 PM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

Slightly confused...Last time around we were tuning your 88 with 400 sbc. Is this not the same car? Original details:

Here are the answers to the questions that you asked for the tuning of my '88 Corvette.

Displacement is 400 small block, there are no current issues except I know there is a lot more horsepower in the motor than I am getting.

Injector size is currently stock, 22lbs-you recommended 36-42, I would like to use 36.

The fuel pump is stock, fuel pressure with no vacuum is 54psi.

Initial timing is 6 degrees before top dead center which is factory timing. I will leave the initial timing up to you.

Intake type is Edlebrock big mouth, ported with SLP runners that have been ported, cut open and fully siamesed except for the last 1 3/4". They have been opened up as far as they can.

The plenum has been fully ported also.

Cylinder heads are Engine Quest with 220cc ports and 64cc combustion chambers. 2.02 IN, 1.6 EX. They flow 238 at 0.4, 265 at 0.5 and 280 at 0.6 IN. The exhaust is 170 at 0.4, 190 at 0.5 and 201 at 0.6. I have have a high flow cat, Flow Master mufflers and 2 1/2" exhaust pipes from the headers back. On the cylinder heads, the compression ratio is 10:1.

The cam is a CC 305, it has 510, 510 lift, 224, 230 DUR. 114 lobe separation. The rear gear is 3.07, tire size is 275-40-R17. Max RPM est is 5500 RPM est. Tstat is 180 degrees. Coolant temp preferences are fans on at 180, off at 200. The MAF condition is stock, but I can cut the screens out if that would help.

Deleted equipment at present: NONE I would like the 9th Injector deleted along with VATS. Desired idle RPM is 750-800. The Transmission is a Tremec TKO 500, 5 speed.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:03 PM
steven mack
Drifting

Man Tequilaboy I must be getting senile.I didn't remember which Vette I put the 400 in.I've had the motor along time.The The first time I fired the motor the bearings and catalytic converter got fried.The reason being a dishonest forum member bought some LT1 24 lb. injectors from me and said I sent him the wrong ones.I gave him back his money but he sent me back 60 lb injectors I put them in my motor.It flooded the crap out of it.You are spot on on the build of the motor .But I have an 87 Vette now with 24Lb injectors and an automatic trans.I can't believe you kept all that information.Do you think your chips you made for me will work in my current Vette that would be fantastic.Thank you so much for getting back to me with all that information I put the original engine back in the 88 and sold it on Ebay .the buyer said it was the best purchase he ever made .Thanks again ,Steve

Last edited by steven mack; 09-09-2016 at 08:11 PM. Reason: add info
Old 09-10-2016, 02:02 PM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

Yes, the old bins should still work (assuming compatible injector related settings). Should be close enough between what you previously had (stock) and the current 24 lb/hr injectors. Note: I haven't reviewed the old bins to confirm any settings, but will do so.

However, it would be better to start over with an original auto trans bin as a base bin, due to the many minor tuning differences that typically exist between automatic and manual bins. Primarily idle and spark advance differences along with tcc control/cags/4+3 settings depending upon mask...Of course, settings can be copied from an auto trans bin, but this can be time consuming depending upon how complete the definition file is. There is work involved with both approaches, so its a matter of efficiency.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:19 PM
steven mack
Drifting

I trust your knowledge .The one you did for me ran flawlessly.Let me know what you need from me and the cost.I understand there is a lot of differences between the 88 5speed and my current 87 automatic.Thanks,Steve

Last edited by steven mack; 09-10-2016 at 02:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-10-2016, 03:34 PM
Wheel Stander
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by steven mack
Does anybody on the forum know of a reputable place to send for a tune on my 400 small block?I know of PCM of NC, formerly known as PCM for less.And Fastchips if their still around.Before you-all start flaming me I am not expecting perfection Just a good all around performer.Thanks for any suggestions and experiences.Steve
Contact Ed Wright at Fast Chips. He can definitely help you. You'll need to fill out a very detailed spec sheet, but chances are very good that Ed will nail it. He's done several mail tunes for my modified LT1 and it's always turned out good.

Get notified of new replies

To Mail order tune

Old 09-10-2016, 05:00 PM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

Your old bins are based on ABTP which is an 88 4+3 $32b bin. The injector constants were set to 24.5 lb/hr (due to the high fuel pressure).

These bins should serve as a reasonable starting point for the engine, however the tcc operation will be screwy.

The 4+3 O/D was set to off by default in your 1988 bins.

1987-88 4+3 cars have the 4+3 shifter switch on ecm pin C7. Auto trans cars instead have the A/T O/D switch on pin C7.

The tcc will likely be activated when the trans shifts into overdrive, since the A/T OD switch will appear to the ecm to be a 4+3 overdrive off->on request. Lock and unlock will then follow the normal 4+3 logic. This shouldn't harm anything, but may be somewhat unpredictable as a function of speed, rpm and tps.

MAF range will be an issue, so the bins do have varying power enrichment tuning to deal with the unknown excess airflow, so use with caution until adequate fueling can be confirmed.

Suggest you pick up a programmer or ostrich, since I'm not in the habit of loaning my stuff out anymore.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:12 PM
qws
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see your in CT, a few guys out that way have used Synergy Motorsports in the Albany,NY area. Myself included. They do a lot of newer stuff but also do OBD1. I use EBL/flash in mine an they had me making a ton of power and street happy a week later. Haven't looked back since
Old 09-10-2016, 08:33 PM
steven mack
Drifting

Thanks Tequilaboy for the info.I will look into the ostrich.What programmer would you suggest?Also a thanks to Wheel Stander And Qws for your suggestions.I will stick with Tequilaboy right now because he knows my engine and has been a lot of help now and in the past.Thanks to all the forum members for their input.This is still a great forum to get info and help.Thanks,Steve

Last edited by steven mack; 09-10-2016 at 09:03 PM. Reason: info

Quick Reply: Mail order tune