C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Fuel Tank Woes...When I turn on anything less than ½ tank, it cuts out

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 05:30 PM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fuel Tank Woes...When I turn on anything less than ½ tank, it cuts out

Could this be the fuel filter causing this? It doesn't ping or anything, it just cuts out if I floor it, or get on it in a turn...I guess the fuel (what's left in the tank) is sloshing and the pump is losing pressure. I heard something about a strainer sock... :confused:
Old 09-05-2002, 05:40 PM
tommelton
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Fuel Tank Woes...When I turn on anything less than ½ tank, it cuts out (TIMSPEED)

You may not believe this one, but the following happened on my 86...similar symptoms, but mainly in a quick left-right transition...I would lose power, and it immediately would come back.

The problem I found was one of the spade connections in the tank, the ground side was loose from the ground lug. Under normal driving, the stiffness of the wires kept the spade connector connected to the lug, but the left-right transition would cause the connector to move from the lug, thus no electrical power to the pump, immediate loss of pressure.

Easy fix, remove from top of tank, repair connector, and replace. My problem was solved.

But imagine, a loose connection inside the tank, fuel vapor, air, and what happens when you make an electrical connection that is HOT??? Sparks?!

I am very surprised that there never was a BOOM!

Tom Melton
82 CE
86 Z51 Coupe
Old 09-05-2002, 05:44 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Fuel Tank Woes...When I turn on anything less than ½ tank, it cuts out (TIMSPEED)

It could be a failing pump or maybe your gauge is way off. I typically launch with 1/4-1/3 tank of fuel and occasionally with 1/2 tank; no difference.

I suspect the reason for no "BOOM" is lack of O2 in the tank. I'm not sure I'd want to start her up with the tank open and very low on fuel. :eek:
Old 09-05-2002, 06:55 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I am very surprised that there never was a BOOM!
When the conection are submerged there is no oxygen to burn. Also there isn't really enough power to create an arc between the two connectors.
Old 09-05-2002, 07:21 PM
Gareth
Instructor

I have exactly the same problem, both when I accellorate out of, normally a left hand bend with less than a third of a tank and also flooring it from a standstill. I have been trying to find out about 'swirl pods' or fuel tank baffles to minimise this problem. When I posted my question the only comment I got back was 'run with a full tank' - which was not very useful when my Vette is much heavier than most of the cars I was 'competing' against on the track, a full tank must weigh a fair bit. Good luck, and if you find out anything please let me know!
Old 09-05-2002, 07:28 PM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Fuel Tank Woes...When I turn on anything less than ½ tank, it cuts out (Gareth)

Must be my guage, cuz my fuel pump is fairly new (4 years old...well..it's newer than 87!)
BTW: I can actually HEAR the fuel sloshing when I do this...probably IS low enough to be VERY low. How many bars are on the guage when you launch Jim? at around..5 bars it starts to cut out like that. (Although I think once it did it when it was at half) I'm gonna go play with it right now.

[Modified by TIMSPEED, 5:30 PM 9/5/2002]
Old 09-05-2002, 07:54 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

My '86 does this too, just under 1/2 tank. I also noticed that when I remove the gas cap to fill up, the cap practically blows off in my face from all the pressure in the tank. Checked fuel pressure, it is right on. I'll keep checking this thread because I would love to know what is going on with this one.
Old 09-05-2002, 08:05 PM
Raistlin
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fuel Tank Woes...When I turn on anything less than ½ tank, it cuts out (vetracer)

i read on the forum that the excess pressure in the fuel tank can be caused by a faulty charcoal canister.
Old 09-05-2002, 09:05 PM
tommelton
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Fuel Tank Woes...When I turn on anything less than ½ tank, it cuts out (Raistlin)

Well, my 86 must be quite different from most, as I use my car extensively at Road Atlanta, and can go down to between 1 and 2 bars before I get starvation, and only then in very very high G turns. At Road Atlanta the first place I notice it is turn 7, a 90 degree right hander, then as I use more fuel, it happens in turn 10a/10b a 90 degree left followed by a 90 degree right.

These turns definately cause slosh, but above 2 bars, no problem whatsoever...

-Tom
Old 09-05-2002, 09:34 PM
vette92_1
Burning Brakes

In my opinion, you can rule out fuel pump and filter and the sock on the fuel pump. The only reason I say that is my 92 does the exact same thing. And I changed out the Pump, Sock, and Filter all at the same time and it stills does the same thing. My feeling now is I think it is the fuel gage being way off because one time I waited to long to get gas and ran out, the gage said it had 1/4 of a tank, which might not seem like its too far off, but I had my wife bring me a 5 gal can of gas and I poured that 5 gals in it, it filled it up to 3/4 of a tank (according to the gage). On a 20 gal tank obviously 5 gals should not be 3/4 of a tank. Also from reading other threads in this forum, I have found out that the fuel gage sending unit in the c4 is not real accurate and reliable. Just my .02 worth, I'm going to follow this thread as well, to see if anybody has any suggestions.
Good luck
Old 09-05-2002, 09:47 PM
x_streme
Advanced

I think this is a pretty common problem. mine started to do that as soon as the researve would come on. put a little gas in and the runs great. it is getting worse though, now it starts at three bars. I have about determined that it is the sending unit. I think the part is about $350.00, as it is mearly an annoyance, it is low on the "need and want" list. when I do get around to fixing it, i will let ya know if it fixes anything. oh, by the way, when i first fill up, it tells me i have a 500 mile range. it is totally dead at about 325!!
Old 09-05-2002, 09:56 PM
marlon88
Racer

Default Re: Fuel Tank Woes...When I turn on anything less than ½ tank, it cuts out (x_streme)

My 88 does the same ,as soon as the RESERVE light comes on wich is about 2 bars from the guege ,when I floor it ,it will cut!!! but when I put gas in it every thing back to normal !!! I was told that your tank is dirty from inside so when it goes Lo on gas the pump will suck some dirt from the buttom of the tank and it cuts ,So I try to clean my tank sometime and I post how I went ;)
Old 09-05-2002, 10:15 PM
Darrell G
Racer

I doubt that it's a dirty tank. I have a lo mileage 89 w/similar problems. Less than 1/4 tank, full throttle from dead stop, and it shuts off for a second. If i put more fuel in, the problem goes away. Sounds like from the number of us with the problem, it might be fairly common. I'm thinking the position of the pick-up tube/filter, is the problem. With hard cornering or acceleration, the gas goes up the sides, and allows the pump to suck air. Well, that's my theory. Maybe some sort of baffle in the tank would keep the fuel from sloshing so wildly. They do that sort of thing in the oil pan for race cars.
Old 09-05-2002, 11:15 PM
SSLT1KID
Racer

Default Re: Fuel Tank Woes...When I turn on anything less than ½ tank, it cuts out (Darrell G)

my vette does the same thing. i think the fuel tanks are just very poorly baffled. ive even had simillar problems with my Impala and Camaro, just not as bad. :chevy

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Tank Woes...When I turn on anything less than ½ tank, it cuts out

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Woes...When I turn on anything less than ½ tank, it cuts out