C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Took the new vette out today! Probably will be putting a clutch in it soon though

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 05:24 PM
mwm1993
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Took the new vette out today! Probably will be putting a clutch in it soon though

Temp was about 55 today in Rochester NY so I went and took my new to me 94 out of storage and brought it home!! When I put it away there was a little bit of clutch slippage. When I drove it today it had about the same amount and it seems to get worse as the car warms up. I was hoping I would get lucky and maybe replacing the hydraulics and whatnot might give it some life but I don't think so anymore. I stopped by my uncles house around the corner a little bit later and left the car running in the driveway for a little bit (enough for the cooling fans to come on) and when I left there was almost no clutch at all

I noticed back in December when I bought it that when it cooled down or sat overnight the clutch would get better but this was the first time I was driving the car and it got to full temperature

Anyway, I do have a clutch question. Rockauto has a kit with a solid clutch and pressure plate (part 04142) that I might go to as my replacement. As long as my flywheel is not totally cooked when I get in there I plan to reuse that.

Call me a dreamer but I still plan to replace the hydraulics and look for other problems before I do call this clutch totally toast
Attached Images  
Old 02-28-2016, 06:10 PM
TurbineSurgine
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Is there any oil dripping from the bottom? If it slips after warming up I would be concerned that maybe the rear main seal is leaking, either way your going to have to drop the gear box out and take a look. I wouldn't suspect any hydraulics unless its been converted to a push type hydraulic TOB. In stock form the slave cylinder is outside the bellhousing and couldn't leak onto the disc.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:33 PM
mwm1993
Instructor

Originally Posted by TurbineSurgine
Is there any oil dripping from the bottom? If it slips after warming up I would be concerned that maybe the rear main seal is leaking, either way your going to have to drop the gear box out and take a look. I wouldn't suspect any hydraulics unless its been converted to a push type hydraulic TOB. In stock form the slave cylinder is outside the bellhousing and couldn't leak onto the disc.
I wondered about the clutch getting oil soaked but no drips and oil level hasn't dropped at all yet. It does seem to be heat related though. After sitting for a couple hours I just took it around the block and the clutch did grab pretty good (but does still slip when I give it some gas). Earlier this afternoon, at its worst, I was letting the clutch out and waiting for engine rpms to drop a little bit and it barely grabbed at all. Luckily it was only around the corner so I was able to get it back in the garage just fine.

If the rear main is leaking I would think removing the inspection cover on the front of the trans would be sufficient to see the leak
Old 02-28-2016, 10:39 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by mwm1993

If the rear main is leaking I would think removing the inspection cover on the front of the trans would be sufficient to see the leak
If it was leaking bad enough to take out the clutch, you wouldn't need to pull the inspection plate to know.

Your symptoms seem to indicate a worn out clutch. Before you dive into this project, read some of the many threads on changing over a stock dual mass flywheel to a single mass flywheel. good luck
Old 02-29-2016, 01:43 PM
mwm1993
Instructor

After sleeping on it, I've come to terms with reality. I plan on putting in a stock replacement clutch and pressure plate for now and using my original dmf. If I'm not happy with the a stock replacement then next summer I'll source a stage 2 clutch and components. Should be a fun project I have access to a lift with trans jack and everything else I will need so hopefully all goes well.

I think I will order the stock replacement kit from Carolina clutch. Does anybody have any other places they prefer to deal with for these parts?

Thanks all!!
Old 02-29-2016, 01:52 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

After sleeping on it, I've come to terms with reality. I plan on putting in a stock replacement clutch and pressure plate for now and using my original dmf. If I'm not happy with the a stock replacement then next summer I'll source a stage 2 clutch and components. Should be a fun project I have access to a lift with trans jack and everything else I will need so hopefully all goes well.

I think I will order the stock replacement kit from Carolina clutch. Does anybody have any other places they prefer to deal with for these parts?

Thanks all!!
before you spend the money on something you may not be able to use, check out the condition of your existing dual mass flywheel...if it's serviceable, by all means go ahead with your plan; but if it's not serviceable, its time for plan "B"
Old 02-29-2016, 02:44 PM
TurbineSurgine
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks all!!
I would just get a LUK from rockauto if your going to stay stock, but like others said you want to check if your dmf is toast first. They have a tendency to leak gooey rubber out when they go bad.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:23 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Thanks all!!
I used that kit from Carolina Clutch back in 2012. Car had about 100k miles on it. I cleaned up the original DMF with a maroon scotch brite pad as Bill B. (ZFDoc) recommended. Clutch still seems fine 25k miles later.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:49 PM
mwm1993
Instructor

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
I used that kit from Carolina Clutch back in 2012. Car had about 100k miles on it. I cleaned up the original DMF with a maroon scotch brite pad as Bill B. (ZFDoc) recommended. Clutch still seems fine 25k miles later.
I think this is what I will do. It's only $30 more than the LUK and I like the idea of having a company that I can call if there are any problems. If I get in there and find the flywheel is shot then I will address it from there. But, I want to have parts so I have a chance at doing the whole job in a couple days

Thanks all
Old 03-01-2016, 08:58 AM
ricasso
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks all!!
I had a stage 2 Carolina clutch and steel flywheel fitted about 6 months ago, it was fine for a 100 miles or so then the shaking started.. I'm convinced that the fitter didnt get the flywheel balanced,as I instructed him to do, I've not driven it since and I'm fairly sure the crank could now be bent, but I've been saving for a complete rebuild of the motor, 383, AFRs, cam, valve train and all the rest of it so it might be a blessing in disguise so long as the casings are not damaged.

Get notified of new replies

To Took the new vette out today! Probably will be putting a clutch in it soon though

Quick Reply: Took the new vette out today! Probably will be putting a clutch in it soon though