C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Wrong Relay Fan on all the time = wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 04:28 PM
Al B
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Wrong Relay Fan on all the time = wiring help

Trying too keep this short on how & what lead me getting a fuel pump relay .
I asked for a fuel pump relay but really needed a fan relay
When I installed fan goes on and does not shut off even when car is off
Checking fan relay it has 4 prongs
Harness into relay has 5 prongs
Fuel pump relay has 5 prongs
On fan relay it only had 4 .
The 5th prong is activating fan. Does not shut even when car is turned off,
Common issue running hot on the 1984 crossfire vettes. My fans turn on 218. Much too hot
My next project was too purchase lower temp sensor from one of the corvette suppliers too turn on 170.
I am curious
Car temp with incorrect relay is 160. Never ran so cool
Since it runs all the time until I get proper sensor wondering what I can do too put a switch too hook up and ability too close from inside car rather then opening hood and disconnecting battery .
I have seen other owners running wiring, relays, and toggle switches hooked up too ignition key.
This is a bit unique , but not crazy about fan running all the time but car never ran so cool .
thanks guys
Old 01-30-2016, 05:23 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

You could burn up the fan motor from running it continuously. Get the correct relay.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:47 PM
Christian95
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have wondered that myself. As soon as I turn my ignition on, my fan comes on without having to turn the engine on. The only time my fan goes off is when my ignition is totally off.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:50 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,271 Likes on 2,032 Posts

Wrong relay says it all your first move should be to purchase the relay that you actually need. Once you've purchased/installed correct relay then you do the modification to the harness, add switch or what ever you want.

Anything "other than" that is certainly just a "hack" of some sort.

I don't really understand the point you're attempting to make here. What actually is the point?

I seriously doubt the fan running all the time contributes significantly to the "TEMP" you've mentioned.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:26 AM
Al B
Advanced

I agree it would be a hack job. I don't like too do a hack job.
Sometimes modifications too improve is good thing.
I am an hour from Ecklers and make a day out of it purchasing other parts.
Until I get there was just curious making this mistake work for me SIMPLY until I got new senor

This fluke purchase , fans running all the time ran cool 160 never heating up or smoke coming from radiator cap . Clearly my vette runs too hot .
I drained radiator , changed thermostat too much lower . While changing thermostat noticed a pin whole in hose, which did not help .
From over heating / running too hot close too over heating in past radiator was rust color, dirty and no cooling fluids. All water
I only have 45000 mileage on an 84.
I had other issues and parked vette . Starting often. I am now addressing all issues too use vette more often
Have not been on this site in quite sometime and appreciate the info

Al
Old 01-31-2016, 08:13 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,271 Likes on 2,032 Posts

I would think the relay available "locally" likely for less or similar. I don't understand the "wait for an Ecklers trip".

Have you whacked at the connector OR is the connector undamaged?
Old 01-31-2016, 09:28 AM
Al B
Advanced

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I would think the relay available "locally" likely for less or similar. I don't understand the "wait for an Ecklers trip".

Have you whacked at the connector OR is the connector undamaged?
I tend too make things too wordy ( SORRRY )
My original post I purchased wrong relay. Doing so it keeps fans on all the time
I since purchased proper NEW relay for fan .( 4 prong)
I was just curious if there is a way too McDyver a on/off using the incorrect 5 prong , so I don't have too open hood and disconnect for the time being until I get lower temp sensor .It's a corvette supply part. SORT OF CURIOUS ?
RE: Ecklers - I am east of Orlando . Ecklers Titusville, little over an hour drive.
A cool place too visit and purchase items for my vette you can not get in Branded box stores. Such as the cooling temp sensor .
But thank you for getting back
AL
Old 01-31-2016, 02:33 PM
Benny42
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts

The fuel pump relay and the fan relay are the same acting relays. The fuel pump relay has the extra terminal to allow the 'pump test' terminal to work. That 5th terminal is not causing your fan to run all the time. The car likely already has a 'hacked' fan wiring harness. Trace the wiring from the relay to the sensor in the head, you may find a switch or where it is grounded and causing the fan to run non-stop. Fix the issue, then add a lower temp fan switch.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:31 PM
odxr
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Has somebody removed your a/c system?I did that to my car and had to connect a green + black wire together at the pressure switch connector from a switch that was removed with an a/c line.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:26 AM
Al B
Advanced

Originally Posted by Benny42
The fuel pump relay and the fan relay are the same acting relays. The fuel pump relay has the extra terminal to allow the 'pump test' terminal to work. That 5th terminal is not causing your fan to run all the time. The car likely already has a 'hacked' fan wiring harness. Trace the wiring from the relay to the sensor in the head, you may find a switch or where it is grounded and causing the fan to run non-stop. Fix the issue, then add a lower temp fan switch.
BENNY 42
Thank you , valuable info from you will look into it.
It was just a mistake
I don't like too rig things ( only in a bind )
Fan running all the time is not correct, but running a cool engine
( 160 ) was nice.
I had other issues with vehicle and until everything was corrected I have not used. Only starting , sub division drives.
My vette always ran hot . Turned on 220 dropping 205.
Every time I shut off I would hear hissing from radiator
Thank you for getting back
Al
Old 02-02-2016, 01:09 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by Al B
My vette always ran hot . Turned on 220 dropping 205.
Every time I shut off I would hear hissing from radiator
Thank you for getting back
Al
Your car isn't running too hot unless it gets to 250°. Anything less is normal and expected. 205° is what I normally see when running around town.

When you shut off the engine you get localized boiling in the water passages. This causes the coolant to overcome the radiator cap pressure and the excess pressure is released into the overflow tank. Again, normal and expected.

Get notified of new replies

To Wrong Relay Fan on all the time = wiring help

Quick Reply: Wrong Relay Fan on all the time = wiring help