C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

AC Compressor will not cycle off

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 01:15 PM
J H
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default AC Compressor will not cycle off

On my 1985, when the AC is turned on, the compressor engages and cold air comes out. But, even after the interior is cold, the compressor will not cycle off. The clutch remains engaged. The cooling fan stays on, but will turn off for a moment and then start back up. It does not stay off for more that a few seconds. Any Ideas? The system was converted to 134Ra back in 1988.

Last edited by J H; 12-25-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-25-2015, 01:54 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

sounds like it is working if to cold ajust the temp
Old 12-25-2015, 04:02 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Possibly the cycling switch could be bad and not opening up at the correct pressure. Putting a set of gauges on it will really tell the story. If the pressure is below 20 psi heading south, the switch is probably bad. Look for about 22psi on the low side for the switch to open which is about the norm.

The system should cycle more with a low fan setting and if you raise the RPM it should cycle off more frequently (than a high fan setting).

Actually when it is cooler outside the system cycles more as the low side will get down there much quicker and switch opens up. When it's hot outside all pressures are higher and the compressor and system has to work harder to get to the cut of pressure. (Air flow over the condenser is a big factor as well).

Most of the switches I have changed over the years went bad at it cycled at a to lower pressure and compressor runs excessively.

Last edited by pcolt94; 12-25-2015 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-25-2015, 04:52 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

I've noticed that the older systems don't operate like the newer systems. They stay on for longer periods of time.
Old 12-25-2015, 05:56 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
I've noticed that the older systems don't operate like the newer systems. They stay on for longer periods of time.
and 12 is colder than 134 in a old system.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:43 PM
J H
Instructor

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
and 12 is colder than 134 in a old system.
Thanks for these replies. I was thinking that one of the switches had gone bad also. I will look into that further. All of the AC switches are original and I guess it is about time for a malfunction. Thanks for confirming that I was thinking in the right direction as far as a place to begin my investigation.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:49 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Generally R-12 low pressure switches are 25 PSI and R-134a low pressure switches are 22 PSI.

Was the switch changed when the system was converted to R-134a?
Old 12-26-2015, 01:58 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Might be just a little low on refrigerant. Like pcolt94 said, put some gauges on it. They'll tell you the story!

Do you see any frost on the suction line at the evap coils after the system has been running awhile?

Last edited by Hot Rod Roy; 12-26-2015 at 02:05 AM.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:27 AM
J H
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
Generally R-12 low pressure switches are 25 PSI and R-134a low pressure switches are 22 PSI.

Was the switch changed when the system was converted to R-134a?
No, the switch was not changed when it was converted (in 1998).
Old 12-26-2015, 09:30 AM
J H
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
Might be just a little low on refrigerant. Like pcolt94 said, put some gauges on it. They'll tell you the story!

Do you see any frost on the suction line at the evap coils after the system has been running awhile?

Will work with the gauges when I get some time in the next day or so. And, the line at the evaporator has not frosted up, but there is plenty of condensation on it and it does get real cold.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:12 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by J H
Will work with the gauges when I get some time in the next day or so. And, the line at the evaporator has not frosted up, but there is plenty of condensation on it and it does get real cold.
The system is blowing cold air, low side pipe not icing up and compressor running are good signs of a system working normal.

Is this a current observation of the compressor, or a difference of operation from the past. I assume when you turn the AC off the compressor stops.
Old 12-26-2015, 11:19 AM
J H
Instructor

Originally Posted by pcolt94
The system is blowing cold air, low side pipe not icing up and compressor running are good signs of a system working normal.

Is this a current observation of the compressor, or a difference of operation from the past. I assume when you turn the AC off the compressor stops.
Yes, this is a current observation. And, yes, the compressor does turn off when I turn the AC off. Just checked the pressure and it was high -- around 30psi. I bled a little off and upped the idle. The compressor did cycle off for a moment. I am now satisfied that the system is OK (I think). So, I am leaving it alone until I can run it more while driving and see if it seems ok. The air is cold. Thanks to all.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:16 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

WOW An A/C thread in December from a guy in NC , Strange......WW

Last edited by WW7; 12-26-2015 at 12:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DanielRicany (12-26-2015)
Old 12-26-2015, 12:50 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by J H
Yes, this is a current observation. And, yes, the compressor does turn off when I turn the AC off. Just checked the pressure and it was high -- around 30psi. I bled a little off and upped the idle. The compressor did cycle off for a moment. I am now satisfied that the system is OK (I think). So, I am leaving it alone until I can run it more while driving and see if it seems ok. The air is cold. Thanks to all.
Isn't it supposed to cycle between 25 and 40 PSI? Doesn't sound like it was too high to me...
Old 12-26-2015, 02:23 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by J H
Do you have a set of gauges now?

The pressures of an AC system while operating are always moving up and down. It never really stays in one place. As the pressure in the low side reaches 22 psi the switch opens and the compressor stops. The pressure then starts to rise to about 46 psi where the cycling switch then closes and the compressor starts and the whole cycle starts again.

Freon is not like air. For a given temperature there is a given pressure. That’s why there is a pressure chart for all refrigeration gases. It's not like putting air in a tire where the pressure goes down when air is removed. That’s why the static pressure in a system is dependent on the ambient temperature around it.

Removing gas is not what you really want to do as you will not really see a change in pressure. You could end up with pipes freezing over. But what it will affect is how the whole system operates, compressor duty cycle, atomization of gas in expansion tube and temperature of evaporator.

You might have some unusual temperatures where you live and might be OK to do AC work (where I am it's 85+). But if you're in the 60 or less, AC work changes a bit. The only way you really know how much Freon is in a system is from a fresh refill.

I have run on a bit but I hope some of this helps explaining principals.
Old 12-26-2015, 03:10 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by J H
I bled a little off

So, I am leaving it alone
Old 12-26-2015, 03:14 PM
J H
Instructor

Originally Posted by pcolt94
Do you have a set of gauges now?

The pressures of an AC system while operating are always moving up and down. It never really stays in one place. As the pressure in the low side reaches 22 psi the switch opens and the compressor stops. The pressure then starts to rise to about 46 psi where the cycling switch then closes and the compressor starts and the whole cycle starts again.

Freon is not like air. For a given temperature there is a given pressure. That’s why there is a pressure chart for all refrigeration gases. It's not like putting air in a tire where the pressure goes down when air is removed. That’s why the static pressure in a system is dependent on the ambient temperature around it.

Removing gas is not what you really want to do as you will not really see a change in pressure. You could end up with pipes freezing over. But what it will affect is how the whole system operates, compressor duty cycle, atomization of gas in expansion tube and temperature of evaporator.

You might have some unusual temperatures where you live and might be OK to do AC work (where I am it's 85+). But if you're in the 60 or less, AC work changes a bit. The only way you really know how much Freon is in a system is from a fresh refill.

I have run on a bit but I hope some of this helps explaining principals.

Thanks. Great information. It is over 75 degrees here today.
Old 12-26-2015, 03:19 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by J H
Thanks. Great information. It is over 75 degrees here today.
77 here but cold is comming get ready.

Get notified of new replies

To AC Compressor will not cycle off

Quick Reply: AC Compressor will not cycle off