C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Symptons of sticking EGR valve?????????//

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 08:16 PM
Steve02C5
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Symptons of sticking EGR valve?????????//

Took a '93 Vette to dealer after exhibiting poor driveability, e.g., lack of acceleration- sympton felt like stopped up fuel filter. A '32' and vacuum leak code was noted, they say EGR had major carbon buildup causing probs and for ~$400 they will fix it. Does this seem right to you guys who know these things?
Old 08-28-2002, 08:21 PM
fixvet
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Symptons of sticking EGR valve?????????// (Steve02C5)

I believe replacing the egr valve on your LT1 is very easy. Alot easier than what I did on my L98, anyway! Do it yourself!! Vacuum leaks can be easily traced also. Save your money.

Good luck
Old 08-28-2002, 08:23 PM
Steve02C5
Safety Car

Default Re: Symptons of sticking EGR valve?????????// (fixvet)

If you knew me you'd understand why I'm having them do it. Question is, does their diagnosis sound correct for my symptoms???
Old 08-28-2002, 08:25 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

$400.00!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is beyond a ripoff.

The EGR valve is like $50.00 or so and can be installed with a 10mm offset wrench. expect about 30 minutes.

If the code is coming on after some drive time, then it is the EGR itself, if it happens at startup, then it is the control valve.

the vacuum leak is another issue... but I doubt if is much more than the intake manifold. Even then, I would be suprised. There is probably a bad hose somewhere.

Start the engine, and spray some starting fluid on the various hoses. if the engine revs a bit, then you have found the leak.
Old 08-28-2002, 08:27 PM
fixvet
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the code 32 is from an egr problem. Replacing it with a new one should fix that problem. They run about $50-60 and it's very accessible on the rear of the intake area. $400 sounds high for just doing that though. Can you get some other estimates from someone else??
Old 08-28-2002, 08:40 PM
Lone Ranger
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Symptons of sticking EGR valve?????????// (bogus)

Way beyond a ripoff, more like they're sodomizing him. Also, even if his EGR solenoid is toast also, that part is only like $27 and easier to swap out than the valve itself!

Do not, under any circumstances, pay $400 to have your EGR valve replaced. If nothing else a Forum member close to you might be willling to do it for much less, or at least give you a kiss and respect you in the morning if not for less $$ :lol:

$400.00!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is beyond a ripoff.

The EGR valve is like $50.00 or so and can be installed with a 10mm offset wrench. expect about 30 minutes.

If the code is coming on after some drive time, then it is the EGR itself, if it happens at startup, then it is the control valve.

the vacuum leak is another issue... but I doubt if is much more than the intake manifold. Even then, I would be suprised. There is probably a bad hose somewhere.

Start the engine, and spray some starting fluid on the various hoses. if the engine revs a bit, then you have found the leak.

[Modified by Lone Ranger, 6:40 PM 8/28/2002]
Old 08-28-2002, 08:57 PM
Steve02C5
Safety Car

Default Re: Symptons of sticking EGR valve?????????// (bogus)

Please guys, I know GM service is bending me over on the cost, BUT, do my symptons mentioned above agree with a bad EGR? The acceleration is reminiscent of a clogged fuel filter, but they checked that.
The cost they quoted is for the valve, solenoid and installation. I'm willing to pay anyone a more fair price if they are interested in helping me out.
Old 08-28-2002, 09:25 PM
tkrussell
Racer

The symptoms you mention are common to many problems, including EGR valve malfunction, injector malfunction, fuel filter or pump problems, extreme vacuum leak, various sensor problems, etc, etc, etc. That the code set refers to the EGR system supports that the EGR is a good first thing to examine.

The GM shop manual has pages of diagnostic algorithms to help sort out this problem. Blindly replacing parts may or may not be cost effective, even if they are easy to replace. What you need is a good mechanic if you are not mechanically inclined. (Nothing to the ashamed of-- would you do you own surgery?) I agree that the price quoted is obscenely high for what you state they planned to do.

Find another shop. Either a dedicated Vette shop in your area, or a Chevy dealer with a good Vette mechanic. Do some asking on the Regional Forum or at a local Vette club. Somebody will know who to see.

BTW, having the GM shop manual for your car is worth every penny even if you never do the work yourself.
Old 08-28-2002, 09:28 PM
tkrussell
Racer

Default Re: Symptons of sticking EGR valve?????????// (tkrussell)

Didn't notice your address before. Isn't Friendswood near Houston?
If so, there are great Vette shops there. Do a Forum search on "Houston, Texas Service".
Old 08-28-2002, 09:34 PM
Steve02C5
Safety Car

Default Re: Symptons of sticking EGR valve?????????// (tkrussell)

Thanks for your words, but the car is at a Chevy dealership that supposedly has a good Vette mechanic. Basically, I wanted to know if the symptoms sounded correct for their diagnosis, if they fix the EGR and that doesn't fix it, I don't think I should have to pay for work that doesn't fix the problem.
Old 08-28-2002, 09:48 PM
tkrussell
Racer

I hear you. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Get notified of new replies

To Symptons of sticking EGR valve?????????//

Quick Reply: Symptons of sticking EGR valve?????????//