C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

c6 rims on my black 87 z52.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 05:18 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,452 Posts

Default c6 rims on my black 87 z52 w/ pictures

Hi all, this has been done before, and it was corvettedan22 who really nailed this and posted over in the general section, and it was him who I basically copied. corvettedan I know you are selling your vette, if you are still here, just want to say thank you for paving the path to an amazing looking set of wheels for a very affordable price on the c4.

He also has a lowering thread, which is my next move. I will basically be copying him there too if I encounter any snags I will post them in a followup thread.

The only difference between what I did, and what Dan did, is that he got special adapters made up (details in his thread) that were 34mm in the front. I bought some off that big auction site from PE-Moterwerks that were $45 + shipping and these were HUB CENTRIC, like Dans. But, mine were 1.25 inches which works out to 31.25mm, dan used 34mm (1.31inches). His front rims are stuck out by an extra 2.75 mm. My rears were the same, at 1.5 inches or 38mm. Though I bought a cheap set of used adapters for $50 delivered, but they are NOT hubcentric. Obviously you can tell I was trying to save a bit of money. So I have hubcentric and lugcentric (still cone nuts) on the front, and I have only lugcentric on the back. Now, you do not need to have the hubcentric, lugcentric is just fine. As long as you install the wheels the right way, the lugcentric will get themselves aligned up fine. Both front and rear are billet aluminum. The ebay ad didn't actually say that, so i went back and forth to make sure, and they confirmed that they were billet.

There was also a bunch of conflicting data on the web as to if vette wheels are 70.5mm or 70.3mm. I don't now, I don't care, all i can say is that the hubs from PE on ebay worked just fine in the c6 rims. They are machined for a 70.5mm.

Also, dan's car is an 86 z51. mine is a 87 z52. i found a nice site with a chart that shows the offsets are the same on the z52 and z51.

Here are my costs: (all specs, except my front adapters being 2.75mm narrower than dans, are the same. oh, and my rear adapters are not hubcentric).

$200, 4 c6 rims off kijiji, new takeoffs.
$175, 4 adapters, off ebay, delivered.
$200, 4 tires, hankook ventus v12 evo with 80/60% tread front/back, off kijiji
$105, 4 tires, mount, balance, valve stems, local guy on kijiji. did an AMAZING job btw, if you are in calgary check out ben at joyride automotive.

Total $680. that is canadian so $514 in usd today. cheap, crazy cheap, for this upgrade.

took the car for a rip, a very fast and twisty rip, and the car handles way way better with this setup. I don't know why, maybe its the squishy firehawks I had on there, but it just handles way better.

Here are some pictures, I know, its dirty.

these are new, from pe motorwerks on the auction site.

i put new front rotors and pads in, and i clearcoated the caps.

something about my pads did not seat right on this rotor. you can see the pad wear doesn't go all the way in towards the hat.

i pulled the caliper pins off and re lubed everything, i will see if the wear changes but the pad on the front driver side isn't getting the right wear.

yup hot.

hot again.

alberta, the land of the wildrose, and oil.

yup hot.

still hot.

back end was raised by 1cm with these wheels. that is .3 inches. i'll be doing the corvettedan lowering mod after this.

great quality, cheap.

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 09-09-2015 at 12:36 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 09-08-2015, 05:34 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

they look great!.. better with lower, too.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:40 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,271 Likes on 2,032 Posts

I'd say you've done well. The fit to the wheel-house lips looks very good.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:50 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

In al honesty i prefer the rims that you have in your avatar... They look great on c4
The following users liked this post:
VikingTrad3r (12-16-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 07:03 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Christi@n
In al honesty i prefer the rims that you have in your avatar... They look great on c4
I agree with you Christ@n. Those are z06 rims in "comp grey". The lowest I have seen them for where i live, combined with the tire sizes that match them, make them a bit much for me at the present time. when oil goes back up maybe.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:39 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default handling breaking all better

Can anybody explain why the handling and breaking are so much better? Is there something to do with the staggered or the smaller sidewall?

the rubber is different obviously but is there more going on than just different rubber?

the car feels way way way better compared to my 16" oem saladshooters.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:13 PM
corvettedan22
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey your car looks great !! I did a lot of good documenting back in the day ! The adapter sizes really drove me crazy ! I'm glad I'm not the only one who crunched numbers for hours !!! Lol. Now to lower the car !!!

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
Hi all, this has been done before, and it was corvettedan22 who really nailed this and posted over in the general section, and it was him who I basically copied. corvettedan I know you are selling your vette, if you are still here, just want to say thank you for paving the path to an amazing looking set of wheels for a very affordable price on the c4.

He also has a lowering thread, which is my next move. I will basically be copying him there too if I encounter any snags I will post them in a followup thread.

The only difference between what I did, and what Dan did, is that he got special adapters made up (details in his thread) that were 34mm in the front. I bought some off that big auction site from PE-Moterwerks that were $45 + shipping and these were HUB CENTRIC, like Dans. But, mine were 1.25 inches which works out to 31.25mm, dan used 34mm (1.31inches). His front rims are stuck out by an extra 2.75 mm. My rears were the same, at 1.5 inches or 38mm. Though I bought a cheap set of used adapters for $50 delivered, but they are NOT hubcentric. Obviously you can tell I was trying to save a bit of money. So I have hubcentric and lugcentric (still cone nuts) on the front, and I have only lugcentric on the back. Now, you do not need to have the hubcentric, lugcentric is just fine. As long as you install the wheels the right way, the lugcentric will get themselves aligned up fine. Both front and rear are billet aluminum. The ebay ad didn't actually say that, so i went back and forth to make sure, and they confirmed that they were billet.

There was also a bunch of conflicting data on the web as to if vette wheels are 70.5mm or 70.3mm. I don't now, I don't care, all i can say is that the hubs from PE on ebay worked just fine in the c6 rims. They are machined for a 70.5mm.

Also, dan's car is an 86 z51. mine is a 87 z52. i found a nice site with a chart that shows the offsets are the same on the z52 and z51.

Here are my costs: (all specs, except my front adapters being 2.75mm narrower than dans, are the same. oh, and my rear adapters are not hubcentric).

$200, 4 c6 rims off kijiji, new takeoffs.
$175, 4 adapters, off ebay, delivered.
$200, 4 tires, hankook ventus v12 evo with 80/60% tread front/back, off kijiji
$105, 4 tires, mount, balance, valve stems, local guy on kijiji. did an AMAZING job btw, if you are in calgary check out ben at joyride automotive.

Total $680. that is canadian so $514 in usd today. cheap, crazy cheap, for this upgrade.

took the car for a rip, a very fast and twisty rip, and the car handles way way better with this setup. I don't know why, maybe its the squishy firehawks I had on there, but it just handles way better.

Here are some pictures, I know, its dirty.

these are new, from pe motorwerks on the auction site.

i put new front rotors and pads in, and i clearcoated the caps.

something about my pads did not seat right on this rotor. you can see the pad wear doesn't go all the way in towards the hat.

i pulled the caliper pins off and re lubed everything, i will see if the wear changes but the pad on the front driver side isn't getting the right wear.

yup hot.

hot again.

alberta, the land of the wildrose, and oil.

yup hot.

still hot.

back end was raised by 1cm with these wheels. that is .3 inches. i'll be doing the corvettedan lowering mod after this.

great quality, cheap.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:09 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

hey dan! you are still here! i saw your car for sale a while back did you sell it?

i saw your brake booster vid too. nice work man, really helping us noob owners out.
Old 09-07-2023, 11:22 PM
85vetterafa
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help

I am purchasing set of c5-c6 rims unsure I keep hearing about putting spacers or adapters don’t know which ones to get please help 1985 vette black like urs

These the rims I wanna get

This my 85 baby
Old 09-08-2023, 01:52 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

hey, they will look great and u will love them BUT YOU need to buy adapters.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...and-video.html

and my sizes are in this thread. 👍👍

Get notified of new replies

To c6 rims on my black 87 z52.

Quick Reply: c6 rims on my black 87 z52.