C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How much have you spent on transmission work for your ZF 6 speed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 08:33 AM
Kdrhpe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much have you spent on transmission work for your ZF 6 speed?

This question is for people who have paid to have their ZF six speed transmission fixed. I'm trying to get a realistic assesment of the cost. Please remember that I am looking for costs with labor and everything else. I am also looking for responses from people that HAVE HAD IT DONE. No speculators please.
Old 08-22-2002, 11:31 AM
Kdrhpe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How much have you spent on transmission work for your ZF 6 speed? (Kdrhpe)

ttt
Old 08-22-2002, 11:48 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Re: How much have you spent on transmission work for your ZF 6 speed? (Kdrhpe)

The ZFDoc charges around $3k for a complete rebuild. Prices may vary based on what parts are needed for replacement...

Their site is http://www.zfdoc.com/ ....call Bill and ask him.

This does not include removal/replacement of the trans or shipping costs.

I have one going to him in the next month or so. I know 3 others who have had theirs repaired by Bill. Never heard anyone say anything bad about his work. Top notch all the way...
Old 08-22-2002, 12:22 PM
Rick93Z07
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: How much have you spent on transmission work for your ZF 6 speed? (Joe90)

Rockland gear sells the componentry, but you'll need a jobber or a good story to get wholesale pricing. Parts aren't cheap, for example synchros cost about $500 and aren't available separately. I suspect you'll spend about $1K doing a basic rebuild yourself, if you don't wind up with a basket case. I hear the unit is a real SOB to rebuild. There are probably workarounds that get you by without reassembly jigs, but I don't know if I'd investigate solutions unless I had multiple units to repair. Hope this helps.

Get notified of new replies

To How much have you spent on transmission work for your ZF 6 speed?

Quick Reply: How much have you spent on transmission work for your ZF 6 speed?