C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Cant solve rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 02:53 PM
eutu1984
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Originally Posted by cardo0
Im getting confused when i see over 50* adv at only 2000rpm and the knock counts dont change or increase. Dont know how to explain this. But i havent looked at enough OBD I data logs to make judgement.

Just looking at the data log i see the MAP, integrator (short term fuel trim), O2 mV output all switch at the same time and looks like timing adv does to - this is in closed loop when the O2 is controlling. They all move in step which should not be. The MAP follows throttle position and looks ok to me. The short term trim locks onto a steady O2 output. In closed loop the O2 should be swinging. I dont know why i didnt see this before. When was the last time u replaced the O2 sensor? Did u know they are a normal wear part and should be replaced 'bout the same mileage as the tires or brakes?

U can test the O2 by pulling a vac line and allowing a intake leak and u should see a lean output but u need to be monitoring the O2 output somehow - with a meter or datalog or whatever. Next u can use a propane bottle to add propane fuel the same intake leak and watch the O2 output again - it should go rich.

I know im saying 2 things here but i think the O2 sensor is the easier test here than any further ignition tests and overdue for replacement anyways. And i dont have an answer for the large timing adv - sorry. But for an O2 sensor that doesnt swing in closed loop i do - its bad.

Watch'a think?

BTW u need to update the ECM with the new injector constants when u change injectors. Did u do this? That shouldnt make all the variables lock into step though as logged here but something to correct when ready.

O2 sensor is a couple of months old, Also on a 90 corvette the data comes from the ecm then goes to the ccm then to the aldl connector, from what i have read this cause trouble reading data, I dont have a teck 1 reader with the proper module, I have a tablet running ALDLdroid and have to use the adx files that are out there on the internet.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:03 PM
eutu1984
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cardo0
Im getting confused when i see over 50* adv at only 2000rpm and the knock counts dont change or increase. Dont know how to explain this. But i havent looked at enough OBD I data logs to make judgement.

Just looking at the data log i see the MAP, integrator (short term fuel trim), O2 mV output all switch at the same time and looks like timing adv does to - this is in closed loop when the O2 is controlling. They all move in step which should not be. The MAP follows throttle position and looks ok to me. The short term trim locks onto a steady O2 output. In closed loop the O2 should be swinging. I dont know why i didnt see this before. When was the last time u replaced the O2 sensor? Did u know they are a normal wear part and should be replaced 'bout the same mileage as the tires or brakes?

U can test the O2 by pulling a vac line and allowing a intake leak and u should see a lean output but u need to be monitoring the O2 output somehow - with a meter or datalog or whatever. Next u can use a propane bottle to add propane fuel the same intake leak and watch the O2 output again - it should go rich.

I know im saying 2 things here but i think the O2 sensor is the easier test here than any further ignition tests and overdue for replacement anyways. And i dont have an answer for the large timing adv - sorry. But for an O2 sensor that doesnt swing in closed loop i do - its bad.

Watch'a think?

BTW u need to update the ECM with the new injector constants when u change injectors. Did u do this? That shouldnt make all the variables lock into step though as logged here but something to correct when ready.
I just went back through the data and 02 is between 57 and 808, and advance does not seem to be following or switching at same time from the data that I can read with aldldroid, I am new at this data logging and have no plans to do tuning on my own, when I do have a tune done I will have someone experienced do it. I do see spikes I beleive that is from a connection error from the ccm.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:18 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Well then thats the place to start. U have to have good data to read it or dont use it at all. I believe u can measure the O2 mV swing directly with a meter and if not moving from 100mV to 900mV while in closed loop at idle then something wrong with the O2 circuit. FYI the ECM doesnt start out in closed loop but has to warm up first so dont expect a good O2 reading w/o warming the motor up a bit. O2 sensors can get damaged just by sealing them at the wire entry location - they have to breath there.

The timing results then maybe not bad at all. Myself the 15.5* at 3000rpm when in neutral does seem low though and i would expect closer to 30*-35*.

U can do the manual test for each sensor one at a time - u already know timing numbers are low and u could try bumping the initial timing to observe results. But w/o reliable data i think its a waste of time to even look at the data log as it will take u in the wrong direction.

Good luck.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:58 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

You will get error code 42 after you disconnect the EST connector to set the timing.

Set the base timing to 6°. The ECM will add approximately 14° for an total of around 20° at idle. The exact amount depends on the year (and if there is a tune in the ECM).
Old 08-12-2015, 02:22 PM
etcopy1
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c4 runs rough at idle in park or drive

I have a 96 lt1 that has a rough idle in park and drive. I have taken it to multiple shops and everyone is scratching their heads. It has had new oem plugs and wires, fuel filter, pressurized fuel cleaning service, compression and vac lines checked, valve springs checked. Fuel injectors swapped from one position to the other, and the code did not changeto another cylinder. Only thing it shows in diagnostics is a misfire in cylinder 3. This was the case even before all the work was done. Timing and spark are reading correctly according to the mechanic.
Any ideas? Optispark?
Old 08-15-2015, 05:48 AM
eutu1984
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by etcopy1
I have a 96 lt1 that has a rough idle in park and drive. I have taken it to multiple shops and everyone is scratching their heads. It has had new oem plugs and wires, fuel filter, pressurized fuel cleaning service, compression and vac lines checked, valve springs checked. Fuel injectors swapped from one position to the other, and the code did not changeto another cylinder. Only thing it shows in diagnostics is a misfire in cylinder 3. This was the case even before all the work was done. Timing and spark are reading correctly according to the mechanic.
Any ideas? Optispark?
It would be better if you started a new thread.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:51 AM
eutu1984
Burning Brakes

The code 42 is fixed, one of the 4 wires that come in through the back of distributor was shorted out on the distributor housing. She seems to be running pretty good.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:01 PM
etcopy1
Cruising

Originally Posted by eutu1984
It would be better if you started a new thread.
Wouldnt let me start a new forum topic. Just looking for help. Thanks for you input (lol)
Old 08-15-2015, 03:00 PM
eutu1984
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by etcopy1
Wouldnt let me start a new forum topic. Just looking for help. Thanks for you input (lol)
You Should be able to go here https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...erformance-48/ then click on NEW THREAD witch is here. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...newthread&f=48

I would try and help but have no experience with opti spark.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:54 AM
GTc4
Intermediate

Is this fixed now?
Old 08-16-2015, 05:38 AM
eutu1984
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GTc4
Is this fixed now?
Since I put in the new fuel pump and injectors its a lot smoother and I can idle in gear. Its still a little rough, the code 42 is fixed, that was a separate issue, My throttle body shaft is way to loose so I may try and remove the shaft and mill it out for a new bushing or purchase a new one and as far as I now the only new ones are aftermarket.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:31 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 501 Posts

Good progress
Old 08-16-2015, 08:36 AM
eutu1984
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
Good progress
Thanks after I fixed the short, I took it out and it ran real well for about an hour then started rough agen, no where as bad as before. when I have a chance I will work on it again.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:55 AM
krackenvette
Race Director

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Have you put a meter on your IAC yet? It will not set a code, and even though the scanner will show counts, it only shows what the ecm is telling the IAC to do, not what it actually is doing..This pic shows where to test, technically same schematic.
http://shbox.com/1/iac2.jpg
Old 08-16-2015, 11:04 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Originally Posted by krackenvette
Have you put a meter on your IAC yet? It will not set a code, and even though the scanner will show counts, it only shows what the ecm is telling the IAC to do, not what it actually is doing..This pic shows where to test, technically same schematic.
http://shbox.com/1/iac2.jpg
What reading should you get from the meter?
Old 08-16-2015, 06:58 PM
eutu1984
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aklim
If you click on his link it shows you aklim. I will test it some time this week.
Thanks for the link krackenvette
Old 08-17-2015, 12:03 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

I got about 50 ohms when I measured mine.

Get notified of new replies

To Cant solve rough idle

Old 08-17-2015, 12:24 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
I got about 50 ohms when I measured mine.
So that tells you whether circuit is broken or good. Now what? It doesn't tell you if the ECM is doing anything or what the IAC is doing.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:07 AM
krackenvette
Race Director

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

So that tells you whether circuit is broken or good. Now what? It doesn't tell you if the ECM is doing anything or what the IAC is doing.
If the meter doesnt show the correct reading, the iac is bad. Lots of people clean and adjust this item and that is when it brakes. Very fragile. It will adjust itself upon initial ignition cycling when new.
The datalogger shows the circuit is good as far as ecm telling IAC what to do. It will never show you what the IAC is actually dong. Many months of torture in my vette till i found shbox .
Old 08-17-2015, 12:11 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by krackenvette
If the meter doesnt show the correct reading, the iac is bad. Lots of people clean and adjust this item and that is when it brakes. Very fragile. It will adjust itself upon initial ignition cycling when new.

The datalogger shows the circuit is good as far as ecm telling IAC what to do. It will never show you what the IAC is actually dong. Many months of torture in my vette till i found shbox .
IF you unscrew it and spray with brake cleaner to clean the pintle and wipe it GENTLY, you should be OK. I would use a new gasket since I don't reuse those paper gaskets or my condoms.

I understand all that however, how does the DVOM tell you what the IAC is doing? All you can see is that the coils are good. Remove the pintle and the coils will still be good so you don't really know how to tell other than "The coils are good or bad", right? How do you know it is actually doing what it is supposed to be doing if you all you can tell me is the coils are good?

Quick Reply: Cant solve rough idle