C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

DOOR BOSE AMP REMOVAL

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 07:55 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

Default DOOR BOSE AMP REMOVAL

I have a 88 with a BOSE stereo. Without resorting to using a saber saw or pulling the window out, how to you get the AMP out of the housing in the door panels?
Old 08-26-2002, 06:02 AM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: DOOR BOSE AMP REMOVAL (HAD2HAV2)

I don't think there's a way to actually get the amp out of the door, without cutting at least a LITTLE BIT. What are you trying to do? :cheers:
Old 08-26-2002, 08:40 AM
chucks88
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: DOOR BOSE AMP REMOVAL (TIMSPEED)

I broke off pieces of mine with a set of channell locks until it fit throught the hole. It was a really PITA and took some time.
Old 08-26-2002, 01:24 PM
sunrise.cm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 89 convertible and had to remove both sides. With the panel off, and the inside door handle, release the linkages to the lock from the white plastic retainers, including the one to the pwr door lock solonoid. be very careful not to break the plastic!!! I don't know where to get replacements. I took the water seperator (platic sheet) and carefully removed it from the plastic rivets and adhesive on the bottom so that it could be reused. Anyway, once all of that is done, with the window up, you can take out the screws securing the accessory plate (silver colored panel inside the door). You can the shift the plate around to the rear of the door and gain room to get the speaker enclosure out through a gap at the bottom front of the door. Probably helpful would be to release the wiring harness from the plate to facilitate access. Be careful in removing the speaker in that it is secured with adhesivein addition to the four screws. Someone told me that if you push on the tabs to break loose the adhesive, that the tabs holding the nuts would break off and I belive it. That is, assuming you will repair and re-install the enclosures. After repairing all 4 speakers, I have pretty decent sound. It is not up to year 2002 standards, but it surprised me - it is not bad up to about 50 or 60 MPH. After that there is not enough power to overcome the wind noise of a convertible. Hope this helps.
Old 08-26-2002, 01:38 PM
hotwilzz
Racer

You must remove the bose case from the door, I did this in my 89 and did not cut or break anything. It will look like there is no way it will fit thru the hole, but with some mild persuasion, it will come out and go back in. Once you get the housing ut it is pretty straight forward.

drive it, as it was meant to be driven!!!!
Old 08-26-2002, 03:20 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Default Re: DOOR BOSE AMP REMOVAL (hotwilzz)

Thanks. The hole does look undersized. I will use a Dremel only if necessary after I remove the 4- 7mm screws.
Old 08-26-2002, 03:20 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Default Re: DOOR BOSE AMP REMOVAL (TIMSPEED)

Thanks. The hole does look undersized. I will use a Dremel only if necessary after I remove the 4- 7mm screws.
Old 08-26-2002, 03:21 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Default Re: DOOR BOSE AMP REMOVAL (chucks88)

Old 08-26-2002, 03:23 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Default Re: DOOR BOSE AMP REMOVAL (sunrise.cm)

Old 08-26-2002, 03:36 PM
sunrise.cm
Instructor

If you intend to reinstall dont use the dremel, you dont need it and you will have a problem reinstalling it. I am not super mechanical and got the job done. Got both sides done with only one six pack.

Get notified of new replies

To DOOR BOSE AMP REMOVAL

Quick Reply: DOOR BOSE AMP REMOVAL