C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Budget upgrade advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 07:23 PM
Bob Heine
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rcraceshop
Has anyone used these?
I installed the Headers and a new high-flow catalytic converter but not the cat-back exhaust. Here's my thread on the header install:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-headers.html
Old 07-10-2015, 09:14 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Has anyone on here used Hedman headers?

A friend of mine suggested them also but i have read on a post in here to stay away from Hedman.

I really do want headers and would definitely want the ones that wont rust as soon as i turn it on.

I live in Wisconsin and will be getting collector or hobby plates soon mainly so i don't have to pay to register it each year.
I had to get the regulars because the collector or hobby plates take up to 2 months to receive. They don't do temp plates anymore and I really wanted to drive it so i will get them before next registration.
I don't even think WI tests cars over 20 years old anyway.

That being said i am not against a high flow converter I would prefer to have one but my math says about $200+ for the Y pipe $200+ for the cat and $800+ for a cat back system plus the price of the headers.

Not to mention there are so many different manufactures out there and I don't know what works and what doesn't.

Thank you
Scott
I live in WI. near you. I have a '90. I have hobbiest plates. Hedmans are fine on a budget, and then go straight pipes back. You can sell your stock exhaust cats for 300.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:15 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

If willing to spend the money get these.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:35 AM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Heine
I installed the Headers and a new high-flow catalytic converter but not the cat-back exhaust. Here's my thread on the header install: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-headers.html
Great write up! How have the headers held up?
Old 07-11-2015, 10:55 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 388 Likes on 320 Posts

Get out all the extra weight that you can. It will increase performance, cost nothing, and if you sell the parts even make you money.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:10 PM
Bob Heine
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dt86
Great write up! How have the headers held up?
Thank you. As expected, the headers have discolored but there are no leaks (gaskets, clamps or welds). Other than the one runner that didn't align, it was a straight-forward install. Fixing the blocked catalytic converter fixed the Service Engine Soon issues and my butt-dyno feels a significant boost in performance. Sounds stronger as well.

Here's how the headers looked brand new before starting the engine (8/25/2012):

Here's how they look almost three years later (67/11/2015):

The headers get a little more weathering down below so here's what they looked like brand new:

Here's the same view three years later:

Based on the quality of the headers, I'm interested in their cat-back exhaust. I have the Y-pipe into a single 3-inch cat with another Y-pipe to dual mufflers and quad outlets. I'd rather have the dual pipes and cats with an X-pipe. The writeup says it's 3-inch so it should halve the flow restriction. Even if it's 2-1/2 inch, it's almost a 30% increase in cross section area (7.07 sq. in. for single 3" vs. 9.8 sq. in for dual 2-1/2").
Old 07-11-2015, 07:41 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Bob,
Thanks for the info, appreciate that. Looks like that front tube took a few hits!
Old 07-11-2015, 08:31 PM
Bob Heine
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dt86
Bob,
Thanks for the info, appreciate that. Looks like that front tube took a few hits!
In addition to being a terrible photographer, I should have wiped off the headers -- it's just some dirt that looks like a dent.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:50 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Heine
In addition to being a terrible photographer, I should have wiped off the headers -- it's just some dirt that looks like a dent.
Some of that dirt looks like it moved the pipe.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:26 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,966 Posts

When I got the car he just replaced the injectors .(not sure what brand)

The car runs very well.

The reason I want to do the exhaust is I have a rattle up by the passenger front (im guessing front cat heat shield) Also I would like to give it a little more rumble in the prosess
Once winter comes I will be doing alot more to it as I will have much more time and a fatter wallet.
Not sure what the brand is but are you sure of the size?

So does my car. In fact, it ran well even when the injectors were of different spray patterns and volume. One of them had a collapsed filter basket. I knew that because I got the report of the injectors at FIC when I sent them for testing.

I'd get headers and cat back. Not sure what you think but I went with TPIS because I was told that the plugs are easily removed and they are. Quality wise they are good. Not sure why I would want to use true duals unless it does really improve performance overall and not just one point of the curve.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:27 AM
aklim
Team Owner

You are not to far from me Aklim.

Do you go to any car shows around here?

They have them almost every day by me.
Unfortunately, I have been so swamped I haven't had the time. Maybe I might make the time someday but if things are going well enough for me to take a trip to MN, I might drop by Hitech Motorsport to see what is going on there.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:57 AM
Bob Heine
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Some of that dirt looks like it moved the pipe.
I used some Flitz dent remover. Rub it on the dents for 15 seconds and use a clean cloth to wipe the dents away.

And now back to your regularly scheduled program....
Old 07-12-2015, 01:33 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Great stuff wonder if it will work on the wifes butt lol
Old 07-12-2015, 02:05 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Great stuff wonder if it will work on the wifes butt lol
Before you ask your wife that question, sign over everything you own to me. You aren't going to need it anymore.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:22 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by aklim
Before you ask your wife that question, sign over everything you own to me. You aren't going to need it anymore.
Lmao just like when you lock your wife and your dog in the trunk which one will be happy to see you when you open it.

Quick Reply: Budget upgrade advice