C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Advice on suspension rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 12:21 PM
VeryUnoriginal
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Advice on suspension rebuild

I have a '93 and I'm looking at freshening the suspension up a bit. What's the best products for a general overhaul? I want to do full polyurethane bushing, finally install that R&D Camber Brace that's been sitting in the garage for 2 years as well as the boxed x-brace that's been in there as well. Here's my current shopping list;

-VBP Sport ride kit (Poly. bushing conversion front + rear, f+r sport springs, Bilstein shocks, etc.)
-VBP C4-C5 brake conversion front and rear

VBP doesn't seem to have a 30mm solid swaybar and a 22mm offered anymore.. Anyone know where I can find another? I'm going with the sport because it's not a dedicated track car and I don't want to make it too batchit crazy at the moment. Any tips on what combos to buy/what should I beef up?

Thanks,
-Jay
Old 07-05-2015, 01:21 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The C5 front brakes will be slightly better than the J55 brakes that came with the optional Z07 suspension. I really don't see a reason to go with the VBP rear C5 brakes as there is really no difference in rotor size, thickness, or even the overall swept area that the C5 rear pads provide. You may find it cheaper buying individual C5 front brake components and getting the custom caliper bracket from eBay.

Also, the stock 88-96 C4 rear calipers serve as the parking brake; the C5 parking brake is a drum-style inside the rotors like the 84-87 parking brake so the C5 calipers do not have a parking brake capability.

Pad selection will make a big difference in braking performance over the stock C4 pads so it may be worth it to try aftermarket pads. Maybe something like Hawk HPS pads?? Definitely do a complete brake fluid flush using a good DOT3 fluid like Castrol LMA or the Ford HD Motorsports fluid. Install new stainless flex lines too. Go with either Earl's or Goodridge lines.

From the VB website, it looks like their sport suspension has a 32mm front bar, but Vansteel has sway bar kits that use a 32mm front bar and a 25mm rear bar. Stock '93 bars for base coupes and 'verts were a 26 tubular front bar and a 24mm solid bar. The Z07 suspension came with a 30mm solid bar and a 24mm solid rear bar.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:12 PM
VeryUnoriginal
Drifting

Thanks for the tip! I'll probably just do the fronts and have more aggressive pads in the rear.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:04 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 219 Posts

A full urethane bush fit out will make a big difference to the car,
especially if you replace upper and lower ball joints as well.
but it is a big job.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:15 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I am a HUGE fan of the Banski kit for the rear suspension. It rocks.

https://banskimotorsports.com/
Old 07-06-2015, 10:13 PM
VeryUnoriginal
Drifting

Originally Posted by blackozvet
A full urethane bush fit out will make a big difference to the car,
especially if you replace upper and lower ball joints as well.
but it is a big job.
I'm a mechanic with full access to a lift and all the tools in the shop! I've never done it on a C4 before, but I've done cars with similar setups. Poly bushing are the definitely on the list, just need to figure what else. Haha.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:03 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VeryUnoriginal
I'm a mechanic with full access to a lift and all the tools in the shop! I've never done it on a C4 before, but I've done cars with similar setups. Poly bushing are the definitely on the list, just need to figure what else. Haha.
If youve got a lift and a press, your half way there !

If you have the suspension apart thats probably the best time to change springs and sway bars. Have you considered sourcing second hand Z51 springs and swaybars ?
Old 07-07-2015, 09:40 PM
VeryUnoriginal
Drifting

Originally Posted by blackozvet
If youve got a lift and a press, your half way there !

If you have the suspension apart thats probably the best time to change springs and sway bars. Have you considered sourcing second hand Z51 springs and swaybars ?
I have given it some thought.. I may go that route if I can't talk myself out of buying another toy... Haha
Old 07-08-2015, 04:14 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VeryUnoriginal
I have given it some thought.. I may go that route if I can't talk myself out of buying another toy... Haha
be careful, vettes are like women, they dont like another "toy" in the stable !!

Get notified of new replies

To Advice on suspension rebuild

Quick Reply: Advice on suspension rebuild