C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

94 sputtering while driving , stalls, hard start ..check engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 04:19 PM
blackthumbz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 94 sputtering while driving , stalls, hard start ..check engine

I have a 94 with 48,000 miles. Today while driving out of city..cruising at about 60-70..I could feel the engine choking.. No warnings on gages. Drove almost home..Hit gas station..Car stalled. Hard start like it was flooded. Waited a few minutes..still a little hard start..blew some dark smoke and started. While driving home..it would smooth out..then start chugging..coughing a little..threw check engine code for a few seconds..Then stalled. Same hard start. Third try..it made it home and smooth out while idling in garage. It was idling a little high on the rpms upon entering garage..then settled down. Any ideas where to start? The Check engine flicks on when it runs rough..but wont stay on to catch code.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:34 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

Check error codes. Jump pins 4 and 12 (from left side of plug) with a paperclip. Codes will show on main speedo screen when you turn the key on....don't start the car..just place key in the ON position. Record the codes displayed which will give you system to check for problems.

Does sound like Opti.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:38 PM
ricasso
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blackthumbz
I have a 94 with 48,000 miles. Today while driving out of city..cruising at about 60-70..I could feel the engine choking.. No warnings on gages. Drove almost home..Hit gas station..Car stalled. Hard start like it was flooded. Waited a few minutes..still a little hard start..blew some dark smoke and started. While driving home..it would smooth out..then start chugging..coughing a little..threw check engine code for a few seconds..Then stalled. Same hard start. Third try..it made it home and smooth out while idling in garage. It was idling a little high on the rpms upon entering garage..then settled down. Any ideas where to start? The Check engine flicks on when it runs rough..but wont stay on to catch code.
Have you hooked it up to a code reader or used the paper clip method? any codes will be stored, you just need to access them.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:40 PM
blackthumbz
Instructor

Originally Posted by John A. Marker
Check error codes. Jump pins 4 and 12 (from left side of plug) with a paperclip. Codes will show on main speedo screen when you turn the key on....don't start the car..just place key in the ON position. Record the codes displayed which will give you system to check for problems.

Does sound like Opti.
check engine light will not stay on..it only comes on for two seconds ..soft code.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:53 PM
blackthumbz
Instructor

check engine light will not stay on..it only comes on for two seconds ..soft code.
got a c12 and h 15
Old 07-01-2015, 04:57 PM
ricasso
Pro

Check engine light dont need to come on to throw codes, you wont know you have them stored until you access them. last time I checked mine I had about 4 stored, all to do with the O2 sensors, not once did the CEL come up.

Last edited by ricasso; 07-01-2015 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:03 PM
blackthumbz
Instructor

got a c12 and h 15
any ideas what these mean?????
Old 07-01-2015, 05:39 PM
ricasso
Pro

any ideas what these mean?????
Not sure but I've a feeling 15 is to do with coolant temp sensor, thats NOT a definite mind you! how did you get these?
Old 07-01-2015, 06:08 PM
blackthumbz
Instructor

Originally Posted by ricasso
Not sure but I've a feeling 15 is to do with coolant temp sensor, thats NOT a definite mind you! how did you get these?
I did the paperclip deal
Old 07-01-2015, 06:23 PM
ricasso
Pro

I did the paperclip deal
Fair enough mate, I've got the FSMs for the 94, it's probably in there somewhere, but right now it's 11.30 PM here and I'm the other side of a bottle of wine so wont be trawling through it at this time of night! your in the right place to get it fixed though, plenty of quality info on this forum!
Old 07-01-2015, 06:47 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

The 12 is normal the 15 is your temp sensor on your water pump. It can do some strange things. Look at your digital temp most likely messed up. Check the connetions or change the sensor. Do not get your opti wet.

Get notified of new replies

To 94 sputtering while driving , stalls, hard start ..check engine

Quick Reply: 94 sputtering while driving , stalls, hard start ..check engine