C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

dash panel lights gone

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 07:39 PM
JIMBO7
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default dash panel lights gone

the lights on my 88 dash panel are out! fuses are good. everything is working but i need a flashlight at night to see how fast i'm going, pressure, etc. :lol: anyone else had all the panel lights go at once and not be a fuse??? thanks for any help.

[Modified by JIMBO7, 10:54 PM 8/17/2002]
Old 08-17-2002, 07:50 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: dash panel lights gone (JIMBO7)

I don't know much about those, but I would pull the thing apart and make sure the connections to the dash are good.

the other option is that it done blow'd up.

:cry
Old 08-17-2002, 08:27 PM
fixvet
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine goes out once in awhile. It seems that it only happens after I'm parked in bright sunlite where the dash pad and interior really get heated up.
I've seen here on the CF that it's probably caused by a bad ground connection, but I've never had my dash apart yet.

What I do, is gently tap my hand on top of the dash pad above the gauges.......and......it (the dash lites) just pop back to life!!!!!! Go figure, eh??????

Hey, it's works for me.....and it may work for you. Just don't hit it too hard.
Good luck
Fix :seeya
Old 08-17-2002, 11:16 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

All 4 lamps could be burned out, but I doubt it. The most likely explanation is an unsoldered pin on the forward circuit board in the cluster. There is a single row of pins on the forward board that plug into the socket of the rear board and the pin closest to the center of the circuit board carries the lamp current. An age relaxed spring on the socket causes connection resistance and the lamp current through this resistance makes heat which eventually unsolders the pin. The easiest permanent fix is to solder a short insulated piece of hookup wire from the back of the front board pin to the rear of the rear board socket. Resoldering the pin won't work and it would be difficult to find a replacement socket. It would be worth the small effort to examine the lamps to determine if they are indeed blown out. If so, replacement is the cure.
Old 08-18-2002, 12:53 AM
JIMBO7
Racer

Default Re: dash panel lights gone (jfb)

so whatever it is ....i need to pull the panel in front of the steering wheel!
never had it off. it's not spring loaded or anything is it? :crazy:
thanks
Old 08-18-2002, 03:01 AM
CoolVette86
Race Director

Location: Partying with the Cowboys cheerleaders in Mt. Olive, New Jersey

All 4 lamps could be burned out, but I doubt it. The most likely explanation is an unsoldered pin on the forward circuit board in the cluster. There is a single row of pins on the forward board that plug into the socket of the rear board and the pin closest to the center of the circuit board carries the lamp current. An age relaxed spring on the socket causes connection resistance and the lamp current through this resistance makes heat which eventually unsolders the pin. The easiest permanent fix is to solder a short insulated piece of hookup wire from the back of the front board pin to the rear of the rear board socket. Resoldering the pin won't work and it would be difficult to find a replacement socket. It would be worth the small effort to examine the lamps to determine if they are indeed blown out. If so, replacement is the cure.
What he said! :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 08-18-2002, 11:30 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

No springs or ball bearings to go bouncing down the driveway! :D
Go to http://www.batee.com and go through his pictures and explaination of how to remove the cluster .
Old 08-18-2002, 11:40 AM
JonM
Melting Slicks

Here is another one... http://www.corvettemagazine.com/1999...ash/dashp1.asp
Old 08-18-2002, 03:21 PM
dbwade36
Drifting

MY digital dash went out a few days ago, for just the ride home. They are fine now and haven't went out again. No idea what caused it. Lose connection, is my uneducated guess.
Old 08-18-2002, 03:59 PM
JIMBO7
Racer

Default Re: dash panel lights gone (dbwade36)

thanks for the input guys....i'm goin to go for it!!! dash panel ...here i come! :smash:

Get notified of new replies

To dash panel lights gone

Quick Reply: dash panel lights gone