C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need a New Clutch... Who's Got Some Recommendations?? Many ?'s Within...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2002, 09:29 PM
Knight Ryder
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

Default Need a New Clutch... Who's Got Some Recommendations?? Many ?'s Within...

Well, my clutch started slipping on me during a moderatley hard launch last night (even with ASR on... :nonod: ). Today I noticed that it chatters a bit when starting from a stop and I can smell it when I get out of the car. It seems to take street driving OK, but I'm afraid to have any "fun" with the car :cry . I put it in 6th at 30mph and floored it with no slippage, so it can't be too bad... Anyone know how much longer this clutch might last under relatively easy driving?

What aftermarket clutches do you guys recommend? I would really like a Kevlar clutch, but will have to see about prices. Any "affordable" ones around??

Installation: I've never done one. How hard is it? Or would I be better off taking it to a shop? I'm leaning toward the latter. Any ideas on cost/labour hours?

Thanks in advance. :seeya
Old 08-17-2002, 01:33 AM
Knight Ryder
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

Default Re: Need a New Clutch... Who's Got Some Recommendations?? Many ?'s Within... (Knight Ryder)

TTT

...so you late-nighters see it... :lol:
Old 08-17-2002, 08:10 AM
gtsyellow
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Need a New Clutch... Who's Got Some Recommendations?? Many ?'s Within... (Knight Ryder)

RAM would be my first choice, quality is GREAT and with a single mass conversion you would be set. the camaro disc and vette plate are a great combo on a single mass. give there tech line a call & they can totally set you up.
Old 08-17-2002, 10:26 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am a firm believer in Mcleod clutches. Their "dual friction" is a single disk, asbestos on one side, kevlar on the other setup. It is rated for like 450 hp. It holds very well yet drives as smoothly as stock. It works with your stock flywheel (if it's in good condition) so you're tranny won't sound like it's about to explode (the drawback to aftermarket flywheels on a ZF6 tranny)

It can be had for around $400 and you can install it yourself if you can get the car high enough off the ground. It's not a terrible job. With the help of a friend I can do it in a day on my car.

Before I got the Mcleod I had a clutch that seemed healthy, except when I got it to the track. It was great on the street, but when I would slam it into second gear the RPM's would go up and the tires wouldn't go any faster. I'm sure I torched that one as I tried to learn how to do a burnout. Oh well, live and learn. I know a lot of guys around here who run the Mcleod clutch and love it. I would stay away from centerforce and SPEC, just my $.02
Old 08-17-2002, 07:24 PM
gtsyellow
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Need a New Clutch... Who's Got Some Recommendations?? Many ?'s Within... (Nathan Plemons)

you'll be happy if you take the advice from either one of us......they are about the two best brands going for the ZF
Old 08-17-2002, 07:49 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Don't even get me started... :)

I had such a pain with my clutch selection, it still makes me :mad

with that in mind, I would stay away from SPEC.

So... what does that leave you with .... GM factory!!!

Yes. Unless you are going for more than 500hp, use factory. it works.

and for the minor variation on the theme... use an Fbody flywheel with a fbody friction disc and corvette pressure plate.

others have done this, and it works just fine. you do need to machine .090 off the flywheel, tho.

I DID NOT do this... by the time I was done with SPEC, I went to factory GM and reused my dual mass...

The dual mass... ick... you cannot resurface them. you can scuff them if they are not too wore out.

The story with SPEC - I am sure that they sent me the wrong pressure plate... but they never admitted it. I will never deal with them again. done is done.

Old 08-17-2002, 08:12 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Need a New Clutch... Who's Got Some Recommendations?? Many ?'s Within... (bogus)

Bogus did you give Mcleod a try? If so what troubles did you have that others should be aware of?

That's the problem with SPEC, you might get a working clutch, EVENTUALLY.
Old 08-17-2002, 08:23 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: Need a New Clutch... Who's Got Some Recommendations?? Many ?'s Within... (Nathan Plemons)

Bogus did you give Mcleod a try? If so what troubles did you have that others should be aware of?

That's the problem with SPEC, you might get a working clutch, EVENTUALLY.
after 3 tries, my mechanic was like - "GET GM PARTS, DAMMIT!" so I did.

however, when the clutch pedal was fully compressed, the damned friction disk simply smoked. it was like a bbq under the car. ick.

I brought the POS home and checked it to my original GM pressure plate and friction disc.

The SPEC pressure plate was a full .250" CLOSER to the engine than the factory pressure plate. there was nothing significant between the friction discs.
Old 08-17-2002, 09:39 PM
gtsyellow
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Need a New Clutch... Who's Got Some Recommendations?? Many ?'s Within... (bogus)

ram uses mostly valeo parts which are a factory perfect fit, mcloud also has an outstanding reputation. GM factory is another way to go but the cost is pretty high when you consider the HD ram kit is about $320 for a disc/plate & is a valeo part if i remember right. no one likes spec anymore, it's kind of like accel injectors, you might have 1-2 happy people but they majority don't like em.
Old 08-18-2002, 11:42 AM
T1Kilr
Drifting

Default Re: Need a New Clutch... Who's Got Some Recommendations?? Many ?'s Within... (gtsyellow)

Any thoughts on LUK clutches?
Old 08-18-2002, 12:28 PM
Bruce
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Need a New Clutch... Who's Got Some Recommendations?? Many ?'s Within... (T1Kilr)

For your application, you can try Mcleod clutch it about $400 good for 450hp or try M'cleod Street Twin. The Street Twin rated for 1200hp and yes $1000. I am happy with mine street twin.

If you have never done a clutch job before? Then I suggest you to take it to the dealer or a shop. Its not a easy job. The tranny its self pretty damn heavy, its hard for one person under the car to pull it out and pull it back in.

Bruce
93LT1 Conv w/ZF6
Blown D1-SC/N2O
ARE built 383ci/Stage II heads

[Modified by Bruce, 10:29 AM 8/18/2002]
Old 08-18-2002, 08:02 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Default Re: Need a New Clutch... Who's Got Some Recommendations?? Many ?'s Within... (Bruce)

I have a Spec stage 2 clutch and a Fidenza aluminum flywheel. Operation is great and it seems to work better than the stock clutch. Noise is the only thing you have to deal with and I knew about that before I purchased it. So far, I'm happy with it. :yesnod:
Old 08-19-2002, 03:30 AM
pablocruise
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Need a New Clutch... Who's Got Some Recommendations?? Many ?'s Within... (R94 LT 1)

I have a Spec stage 2 clutch and a Fidenza aluminum flywheel. Operation is great and it seems to work better than the stock clutch. Noise is the only thing you have to deal with and I knew about that before I purchased it. So far, I'm happy with it. :yesnod:
same here, except a stage III and steel single mass FW. Quite happy with it. Installed it bymyself having not done it before. I had excellent support and help from SPEC and their tech dept.
Old 08-19-2002, 04:15 PM
McKVette
Safety Car

I just had mine changed ...I went with Centerforce Dual Friction...I also bought a new DM Flywheel....

So far so good, no complaints so far....
I have yet to get down the track w/ my new clutch in.....I'm wondering if it will make a difference....if my other one was slipping when i was making my runs.

Good luck !

-Jon
Old 08-19-2002, 06:32 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Need a New Clutch... Who's Got Some Recommendations?? Many ?'s Within... (McKVette)

I didn't drive His car before the clutch job...but John G 92's droptop has a Centerforce Dual Friction in it. I took it for a spin on Saturday. I really liked it. Smooth engagement, good pedal feel and not bad overall. It was track tested with my slicks! :D I think a few times He just punched it and dumped the clutch..No slippage whatsoever. I had one in a previous car...it never let me down.

[Modified by JD 90 383, 5:33 PM 8/19/2002]
Old 08-20-2002, 01:05 AM
TravisD
Burning Brakes

http://www.carolinaclutch.com for a stock replacement.

-travis

Get notified of new replies

To Need a New Clutch... Who's Got Some Recommendations?? Many ?'s Within...

Quick Reply: Need a New Clutch... Who's Got Some Recommendations?? Many ?'s Within...