C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Replacing driver's side window regulator -- new one won't fit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 01:06 PM
rrubel
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Replacing driver's side window regulator -- new one won't fit?

My early C4 has the original ribbon-style window regulators, and the driver's side finally broke. I ordered a replacement from Eckler's, listed as an original GM part, in the newer scissors-style.

Aside from the fact that it's not a simple drop-in replacement (you're required to drill new mounting holes for the bottom of the bracket), the new part just does not seem to fit at ALL. When the top holes are lined up, the bottom of the regulator is not anywhere close to where it needs to be. When I try to push the bottom over (towards the inner part of the door), it seems to hang up on something; either the motor is pushing against the door, or one of the lower mounting brackets is too long. The rearward bottom bracket has plenty of space to move in and out, and lines up fine with the hole I drilled. However, the front bracket won't come near the hole (it won't slide far enough towards the inner door lip), which is in line with the two original holes and the one for the rear bracket.

When I pull the regulator back out, the front bottom bracket looks like it's been rubbing against the inner door -- the edge has a new coating of red paint and fiberglass powder.

Does this sound like a defective part? Can someone who has done this replacement offer some suggestions? I did not expect this to be as difficult as it seems to be.

Thanks.
[RICHR]
Old 05-25-2015, 03:16 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

Video for installation.... my apologies, if it is useless:

More instructions: http://www.corvettemagazine.com/tech...grade-install/

More info: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...placement.html

Last edited by don hall; 05-25-2015 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:25 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

It's been years since I upgraded both sides, but I did not have a single problem.
My 86, already had the holes from the factory, for the new style reg.
Is yours an early 86 ?
Years ago Central Coaster did a writeup with pics, have you seen it ?

http://webpages.charter.net/khasting...windowreg.html
Old 05-25-2015, 05:04 PM
rrubel
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Early '86, yes. Somewhere in the low 3k's by the VIN, still had cast-iron heads when I got it. Definitely no holes for the newer style...

Haven't seen that writeup; I'll give it a look, thanks.

Seabright, thanks, but that video is basically just an ad for MAM's product.

[RICHR]

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
It's been years since I upgraded both sides, but I did not have a single problem.
My 86, already had the holes from the factory, for the new style reg.
Is yours an early 86 ?
Years ago Central Coaster did a writeup with pics, have you seen it ?

Old 05-25-2015, 11:09 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

I have an early '86 (12/85) and it had the holes already. The new regulator just dropped right in.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:46 PM
rrubel
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
I have an early '86 (12/85) and it had the holes already. The new regulator just dropped right in.
What's the last five of your VIN number? '86's were sold from the start of October '85, and my production date is actually sometime in August from what I recall. I'm curious to see where the dividing line between door formats falls.

Thanks.
[RICHR]
Old 05-26-2015, 05:42 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Mine was built 11/85 and had the door holes drilled. Can't help with the install part. I've got them, just have to wait for the car to get back from paint to install them.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:10 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Dt86
Mine was built 11/85 and had the door holes drilled. Can't help with the install part. I've got them, just have to wait for the car to get back from paint to install them.
Mine did not have the holes in I used the existing one for a rubber stopper and
had to drill 2 more I believe. Here is the way it should go

Good luck
Old 05-26-2015, 06:45 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Hi
I upgraded to the later style and had to drill a hole in the bottom of the door, there were no issues fitting the later style to my 85.

I pretty much put the top bolts in finger tight and marked where the hole had to be drilled in the bottom, removed it drilled the hole and installed the regulator all ok.

Hint.

Make sure you cable tie te wiring to the window regulator motor connector, there is no slack and the connector can be pulled on an angle making the regulator stop working.

If you have removed the guide bracket, that needs to be fitted in exactly the same spot or the window will go up too far or not enough.
There is also an upside down L bracket, near the front of the door to limit the front window height.

The guide bracket also affects the tilt of the glass, but you should not have to touch that bolt inside the door.

good luck
Old 08-15-2019, 07:34 PM
dbeardmon
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever solve the fitment issue with the Eckler part? I have an '87 with the same problem using the Eckler parts. I forced them in but something's not right.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:29 PM
rrubel
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dbeardmon
Did you ever solve the fitment issue with the Eckler part? I have an '87 with the same problem using the Eckler parts. I forced them in but something's not right.
I did, but for the life of me I can't remember the details of what I had to do. I *think* it was mostly a matter of lining the regulator up better -- I think it was hanging on something in the door until I played with it more.

It's been working great for the last four years, though TBH I don't often raise/lower the windows -- since it's garage-kept, once the targa comes off for the summer, the windows tend to stay down.

[RICHR]

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing driver's side window regulator -- new one won't fit?

Quick Reply: Replacing driver's side window regulator -- new one won't fit?