C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Probably a silly question about Superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2002, 04:13 PM
CrazyBlk86
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Probably a silly question about Superchargers

Hey Guys,

I never really looked into this forum before, as I have always been interested in N/A power, so these questions may be old for you guys.

I am in the process of building a new motor for my Vette, and I need to know what supercharger would be best for this setup.

It is starting with a production 400 SB (817 casting - high nickel content in the metal) - will run a forged crank - stock stroke - with 6" rods (most likely steel - but I was thinking of Titanium) - I am going to use block cement (about 2 inches - will not affect cooling, but will help core shift problems)
I have not decided the heads, but I am leaning torwards either Motown 220 alum. or Fastburn 385's. Cam will probably be the LT4 Hotcam and the intake will be a custom piece something like the one used on the Sledgehammer.

My question is what supercharger would suite the application, I would like to have 700-800 hp (would like to - doesn't mean I will get it) - how much boost to run?

Also, does the supercharger get it's oil from the engine or is there a seperate supply?

Should I run an intercooler?

Of course I am going to run with forged psitons - what is a good compresion ratio - I was thinking about 8.5-1 or 9-1. 92 Octane at a minimum.

One final question - what do you gents reccomend for an engine management system - the fuel injection will be adapted from the stock setup - which is an 88 computer and TPI setup.

Is that enough questions for ya? What a minute - that was another question.

Thanks,

JMR

[Modified by CrazyBlk86, 8:15 PM 8/15/2002]
Old 08-15-2002, 06:32 PM
vvv90
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Probably a silly question about Superchargers (CrazyBlk86)

Titanium rods? WOW, that thing should be pretty bullet proof.

I'd go with low compression, because generally lower compression and higher boost makes more "controllable" HP than higher compression and lower boost. (controllable, meaning less detonation and things like that)

The ATI Procharger D-1SC I know is the race rated head unit and gives up to 20 - 22 PSI which is rated 750+ HP (probably depends on displacement, flow, type of gas, etc...) I'm sure the Vortech is comprable. check out http://www.carrollsupercharging.com or http://www.procharger.com. (Caroll kits consist of Vortech head units, but they'll be able to answer questions based on HP requirements you may have)

ATI make 2 different kinds of head units. P-1SC and D-1SC which are the self contained and the P600B and the D-1 which require tapping the oil pan. I've heard mixed feelings on these. I've heard using the engine oil runs the head unit cooler than the SC'd version's internal lubricant. Probably only makes a difference if you're really running the thing hard in hot weather.

All S/C's should be run with an intercooler. It just makes better sense. Better safe than sorry, plus there's proven performance claims for obvious reasons--colder air is always better. However, some folks think these are useless. I've yet to hear a "scientific" reason for not running with one as long as it's the right application.

As for the computer. Depending on how high you go with boost you might need some kind of aftermarket timing advance/retard system I'm guessing. Make sure the injectors, fuel lines, and computer can flow the right amount of fuel, but I'm guessing this won't be your weak point though.

Now, let me disclaim something. Take what I've said with a little grain of salt. I don't run an SC now and I don't personally have experience. This is what I've been hearing from people with actual experience. Therefore, maybe someone will come on this thread and back me up, or prove me wrong. I want to be were you are shortly and I hope I'm on the right track myself.

Old 08-15-2002, 07:08 PM
ForceInjection
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Probably a silly question about Superchargers (vvv90)

Sounds like you have a great project going on here. I seen one vette dyno at 700 HP and he was only running 9 psi. So it looks like you might want to go with 9-14 psi.

An intercooler will defiantly be needed for that amount of boost since it’s going to be producing a great amount of heat and you will want to avoid detonation. You should go with a 3-core intercooler because it will support that amount of HP you are trying to achieve. Because superchargers heat up the air significantly as they compress it, it is possible for there to be a very large temperature difference between the intercooler (ambient air temperature - 80F degrees or so) and the compressed air (200F - 350F degrees). Superchargers with higher boost will create a hotter discharge, so as you increase your boost, the effects of the intercooler become more and more noticable. In general we would not recommend intercoolers on supercharged engines with less than 8-9psi of boost.

Most supercharger head units are not self-contain so tapping into the oil pan is required. Now there are some companies out there who have self-contained units, that require no tapping into the oil pan. I know with the supercharger kit that we sell for your vehicle the head unit comes with a Procharger P-1SC, which requires no tapping into the oil pan and that head unit can support up to 825 HP and has a flow rate of 1200 CFM, which should be enough for your goal.
Old 08-17-2002, 05:39 PM
black bart
Drifting

Default Re: Probably a silly question about Superchargers (CrazyBlk86)

The p1sc is for a 350 it is too small for your 400 plus engine it will not make the power you are looking for and since it is sc it will run real hot go with D1 or D1X tap into the pan easy since you have engine apart anyway. Use 3 core intercooler CR should be no higher than 9:1 unless you want to run it on a steady diet of race gas. As a side note do not try to run stock clutch on this engine. I would recomend a programable computer like Accels DFI or the FAST setup this is a much better way to manage the fuel than trying to burn a chip for it. When done this should put a big :D on your face.

[Modified by black bart, 6:36 PM 8/19/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Probably a silly question about Superchargers

Quick Reply: Probably a silly question about Superchargers