C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

i am a newbie and i don't know what i wrong with my headlights

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 10:14 PM
calebwitt
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i am a newbie and i don't know what i wrong with my headlights 1992

My headlights seem to work about half the time, the other half the right headlight doesn' always work. It will flip up but then it flips back over and gets stuck with the light face down rocking back and forth and the headlight motor is still running it is making a clinging noise. My left one does this same thing 10 percent of the time. I asked a mechanic in st. louis and he said i need to rebuild both headligh motors and he gave me a price of 900 for both including labor. I don't have 900 bucks and was wondering if someone knew something about them. i heard it may be as simple as a loose screw...?

[Modified by calebwitt, 2:31 AM 8/14/2002]
Old 08-13-2002, 10:19 PM
A
Melting Slicks

Default Re: i am a newbie and i don't know what i wrong with my headlights (calebwitt)

Well a good place to start diagnosing the problem is to ask what year is your car? :seeya

They changed the headlights in '88. 84-87 had the old style and 88-96 had the new style. My 87 has been converted to the new style, and if you also have the new style then it sounds like the little plastic bushings may have worn out. They're cheap, like $5 from Ecklers :)

[Modified by A, 8:44 PM 8/13/2002]
Old 08-13-2002, 10:32 PM
WhiskeyPapa
Advanced

Default Re: i am a newbie and i don't know what i wrong with my headlights (calebwitt)

HOLY CRAP!!! DO NOT pay anywhere near that much. There are several very CHEAP, but lasting fixes for this problem. Search through archived topics in this site. It's a very common problem in 'vettes, in fact I just fixed one the other day on my car. It involves putting new bushings in the motor gear, or replacing the gear itself. If you have any mechanical knowledge at all it's a fairly easy job.
Old 08-14-2002, 12:49 AM
Dr. Evil
Le Mans Master

CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
CI-IV AutoX Champ
CI-IV Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '07-'10

Default Re: i am a newbie and i don't know what i wrong with my headlights 1992 (calebwitt)

Do not, under any circumstances pay that amount. You can replace the plastic gears in them if they are bad. If the motors are going south on you, you can pick up an entire headlight motor assembly on ebay for anywhere from $50 to $150. If yours is the early style then this is a good time to upgrade.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:02 AM
mikes84vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: i am a newbie and i don't know what i wrong with my headlights 1992 (red90sixspeed)

:eek: $900. You can buy a brand new kit from MAD for $499. That includes every thing for both sides. Minus the fiberglass, and lights themselves.

It sounds like you may have some worn gears, if the older style. Not familar with the newer style ones though.

And welcome to the forum and brotherhood of vette owners. :cheers: :seeya
Old 08-14-2002, 01:13 AM
JonM
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: i am a newbie and i don't know what i wrong with my headlights 1992 (calebwitt)

His car is a 92...You can look up tech tips for your problem by hitting "Tech Tips" above and also going here

http://www.madvet.com/tech/instruction.html
Old 08-14-2002, 01:14 AM
Sharky Guam
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: i am a newbie and i don't know what i wrong with my headlights 1992 (mikes84vette)

OUUUCCHHH! RAPE!!!!!!!!!! Don't you dare throw money away!
Search the archives and follow the directions. IT is an easy fix. Good Luck!

BTW, Welcome to the club!

:seeya :seeya :seeya :seeya :seeya :seeya
Old 08-14-2002, 01:20 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

First off welcome to the forum. This is the best place ANYWHERE to find info and repair tips on your Vette. These guys will save you thousands. Pick up a few of the catalogues first.
http://www.corvettecentral.com
http://www.madirect.com
http://www.ecklers.com
http://tld-corvette.com

These should get you started on parts. With the help of the fine folks on this forum you can fix nearly anything on your car and save a bundle of $$$

Old 08-14-2002, 02:39 AM
qwerty111
Instructor

Default Re: i am a newbie and i don't know what i wrong with my headlights 1992 (red90sixspeed)

Check out this guy. Rodney Dickman's Fiero Accessories. The Fiero and the 'Vette have the same headlight system. You can't beat the price on the replacement gears anywhere on the net. Comes with complete instructions, but I would change one of them (instructions). If you decide to go with his parts, email me when you get them and I'll explain how to make the repair easier. Good luck! mahpop@hotmail.com
Old 08-14-2002, 12:04 PM
A
Melting Slicks

Default Re: i am a newbie and i don't know what i wrong with my headlights 1992 (qwerty111)

I've never heard that about Fieros.... you sure about that?? :confused:
Old 08-14-2002, 12:14 PM
robert kirk
Racer

on my 92 this was one of the first things i fixed. mine were doing the same thing. i took the headlight buckets off the car and pulled the side of the motor off. in side are 3 small round bushings that look like round stock about 1/2 long. you can buy these for 5 bucks a side from most of the suppliers. mine had turned to dust and the lights were doing the samething as yours. the buckets are really simple to take off and once you have them off on a table where you can work on them its a real simple fix. i cleaned it up good and used a little white grease when it went back together fixed good as new.. took about 1 hr for the first side and about 15 min for the other. sure beats 900 dollars. hope this helps robert

Get notified of new replies

To i am a newbie and i don't know what i wrong with my headlights

Quick Reply: i am a newbie and i don't know what i wrong with my headlights