C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Best starter for the money for C4????????

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 06:01 PM
cimchazz1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best starter for the money for C4????????

Well, my 140,000 mi starter recently stopped making the connection between the battery and starter motor when I turn the key, so rather than replace the parts inside, I want to go with an updated reman or new one, and do this ONCE. I've read a number of articles warning against this, that, and the other starters, but many of them are older posts, and it's possible some of those brands have improved or there's more track record on them by now. Sooo, for a 1991 stock plain L98 C4, who makes a good reliable starter for a fair price (bet 70-140)? Or should I go with a small high torque? What has worked well for y'all?..... P.s. there was no heat shield when I removed it and it seems to be an inch (or so) from the exhaust, do I need a shield? Never had a cold soak issue. btw, I'm in metro Detroit area.

Last edited by cimchazz1; 04-02-2015 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Add location
Old 04-02-2015, 06:32 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,271 Likes on 2,032 Posts

Originally Posted by cimchazz1
Well, my 140,000 mi starter recently stopped making the connection between the battery and starter mother when I turn the key, so rather than replace the parts inside, I want to go with an updated reman or new one, and do this ONCE. I've read a number of articles warning against this, that, and the other starters, but many of them are older posts, and it's possible some of those brands have improved or there's more track record on them by now. Sooo, for a 1991 stock plain L98 C4, who makes a good reliable starter for a fair price (bet 70-140)? Or should I go with a small high torque? What has worked well for y'all?..... P.s. there was no heat shield when I removed it and it seems to be an inch (or so) from the exhaust, do I need a shield? Never had a cold soak issue.
If your starter is the original I'd do nothing more than have yours rebuilt. I wouldn't buy 95% of the product out there that's sold as "NEW" either. There's certainly very little quality in most anything, the armature and fiend in what you've got are premium material.

If yours isn't the original you've for sure got decisions to make. I don't believe I would consider anything that that wasn't based on a 'Denso build. It's very easy to "overpay" when you're buying alternators or starters.

If you can't accomplish it yourself you want it done by a local shop that maybe does most of the municipalities, fleets etc. Be sure you mention you want yours done and no exchange. I'd probably mark mine so that I could ID it if I were to have a shop do it.

If a local chain had lifetime on their remans or a really good extended warranty you could do that. You'll likely change the starter once or twice BUT the part would be free. Make sure it's NOT just a single time replacement being offered for the warranty term.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:00 PM
cimchazz1
Instructor

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
If your starter is the original I'd do nothing more than have yours rebuilt. I wouldn't buy 95% of the product out there that's sold as "NEW" either. There's certainly very little quality in most anything, the armature and fiend in what you've got are premium material.

If yours isn't the original you've for sure got decisions to make. I don't believe I would consider anything that that wasn't based on a 'Denso build. It's very easy to "overpay" when you're buying alternators or starters.

If you can't accomplish it yourself you want it done by a local shop that maybe does most of the municipalities, fleets etc. Be sure you mention you want yours done and no exchange. I'd probably mark mine so that I could ID it if I were to have a shop do it.

If a local chain had lifetime on their remans or a really good extended warranty you could do that. You'll likely change the starter once or twice BUT the part would be free. Make sure it's NOT just a single time replacement being offered for the warranty term.
I'm not opposed to a good rebuild, but that too has it's challenges, namely, who can I trust to do a good job in my area. So far, I was looking at a new Remy for around 138 from some place online called Monster...something, gotta try to find it again. Rock auto has a reman Remy too. The rest scare me. I had an Autozone unit on hold, but read all the horror stories on those and didn't get it.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:15 PM
Rush2112
7th Gear

Try DB electrical, I replaced the starter on my 86 when I put the headers on. I went with a high torque model to avoid the heat issues people seemed to have with headers. They had a fantastic price compared to everyone else, and they had it on my doorstep in less than two days. I called and spoke with them and they were spot on with the model needed for my car. Good luck and that change will be a pain with exhaust in the way!
Old 04-02-2015, 09:15 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

I'm not opposed to a good rebuild, but that too has it's challenges, namely, who can I trust to do a good job in my area. So far, I was looking at a new Remy for around 138 from some place online called Monster...something, gotta try to find it again. Rock auto has a reman Remy too. The rest scare me. I had an Autozone unit on hold, but read all the horror stories on those and didn't get it.
A REMY 99635 would maybe be a very good choice. I've ised REMY for medium duty equipment and heavy trucks for years.Just make sure you're getting REMY not just an equivalent product. I believe the 99635 is NEW and is done on the 'Denso scheme.

I'm a RA "hater" - I'd avoid them at all cost. They buy and resell I'm quite sure anything that's out there. Inventory close-outs, re-boxed, production over-runs maybe stuff that didn't pass the QC of the intended re-seller or manufacturer. An order as simple as 8 spark-plugs they can f-up. 6 of one style insulator and 2 of another - it's just BS.

Local with a reasonably close price match to what's out there from responsible re-sellers would always be my first choice.

REMY has some very good tutorials regarding electrical systems and a load-test of the entire electrical "on the car" would be a good start. That's nearly always overlooked but had it been done first there would have maybe been much less expensive repairs. REMY - good technical information.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 04-02-2015 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:09 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 319 Likes on 273 Posts

There's not a lot to go wrong in a Delco starter. I'd just get a rebuild kit with brushes, bushings, and a solenoid. They are easy to work on.

As for RA, I've had nothing but great luck with them. Often I get top quality American made stuff with some shelf wear for 30% of what it would cost at other retailers. To each his/her own I guess.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:07 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

This may help:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-few-pics.html

I didn't go all the way replacing bearings but getting to the plunger and contacts was easy. It has to come off the car anyway, couldn't hurt to replace the plunger and contacts and try that first.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:58 PM
cimchazz1
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
This may help:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-few-pics.html

I didn't go all the way replacing bearings but getting to the plunger and contacts was easy. It has to come off the car anyway, couldn't hurt to replace the plunger and contacts and try that first.
Well, now I'm curious. The motor sounded fine, I'm sure the plunger contacts are bad, so I guess I should take the cover off and see how bad that plunger is. It really wasn't that hard to get out, I pushed the trans cooling lines hard to one side and it fell out. I'm thinking I can probably try rebuilding the solenoid first and save 100 buks. I'm interested in seeing how hard it will be to reinstall it. There's a big thick rubber gasket across the front of the starter around the nose, is that a stock original item that has to be reinstalled?
Old 04-03-2015, 12:03 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Well, now I'm curious. The motor sounded fine, I'm sure the plunger contacts are bad, so I guess I should take the cover off and see how bad that plunger is. It really wasn't that hard to get out, I pushed the trans cooling lines hard to one side and it fell out. I'm thinking I can probably try rebuilding the solenoid first and save 100 buks. I'm interested in seeing how hard it will be to reinstall it. There's a big thick rubber gasket across the front of the starter around the nose, is that a stock original item that has to be reinstalled?
There's multitudes of tutorials for 'Denso starters. If you're buying a plunger and contactor do it locally so you can compare length of plunger and the contactor dimensions. LOCAL - that's all you need to remember.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:40 AM
cimchazz1
Instructor

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
There's multitudes of tutorials for 'Denso starters. If you're buying a plunger and contactor do it locally so you can compare length of plunger and the contactor dimensions. LOCAL - that's all you need to remember.
Thanks for the tips, I agree big time with the concept of "local", and don't mind paying a little more locally to have the ability to be able to return something if there is a problem with fit or function!!
Old 04-04-2015, 12:37 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

I don't have the site, but a gentleman rebuilt a reduction gear starter for a corvette and it was a major project; it's not like rebuilding an older style direct drive starter....so I probably wouldn't tackle this as a DIY project

so IF I could find a new starter, I'd probably bite the bullet and pay a premium for it; otherwise I'd go to Napa or other big parts house for a (hopefully) quality rebuild; not so sure I'd try to order on online unless it was new, not rebuilt
Old 04-05-2015, 11:03 AM
thecatmac
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go small, Hi Torque. Easy to get in, bought mine last year online, all good so far..
Old 04-05-2015, 12:06 PM
mako41
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Well, my 140,000 mi starter recently stopped making the connection between the battery and starter motor when I turn the key, so rather than replace the parts inside, I want to go with an updated reman or new one, and do this ONCE. I've read a number of articles warning against this, that, and the other starters, but many of them are older posts, and it's possible some of those brands have improved or there's more track record on them by now. Sooo, for a 1991 stock plain L98 C4, who makes a good reliable starter for a fair price (bet 70-140)? Or should I go with a small high torque? What has worked well for y'all?..... P.s. there was no heat shield when I removed it and it seems to be an inch (or so) from the exhaust, do I need a shield? Never had a cold soak issue. btw, I'm in metro Detroit area.
If your starter is an original OEM Denso part the best advise is to rebuild your unit. The most common failure point for these OEM starters are the plunger and brass contacts. You'll see that as soon as you take yours apart. These can be replaced easily. Check out these threads;

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...o-starter.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...with-pics.html

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...o-starter.html

Last edited by mako41; 04-05-2015 at 12:20 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Best starter for the money for C4????????

Quick Reply: Best starter for the money for C4????????