C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Gas Cap...are our c4 vettes vented or non-vented?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2002, 08:46 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Default Gas Cap...are our c4 vettes vented or non-vented?

I have been trying to figure this out.....and think....mine is vented? Even though I told the guy give me a NON VENTING gas cap...cause I was told our c4 vents have a pressurized system and require a NON VENTING gas cap!.....but now I don't know...I went to 3 auto part places and all three on the computer brought up venting gas cap....

so iam confused..lol
anybody know....and know where I can get one?

Jeff :cool:
Old 08-10-2002, 08:51 PM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Gas Cap...are our c4 vettes vented or non-vented? (XtremeVette)

I may be wrong, but I thought all caps are venting... when you go get your car inspected, they have to test the pressure at which it will let vapor vent out.
Old 08-10-2002, 09:11 PM
jackdaroofer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Gas Cap...are our c4 vettes vented or non-vented? (Glock'94)

I believe the system is vented at the cap! Water in the filller area wiil be sucked into the tank :rolleyes:

:seeya
Old 08-10-2002, 09:22 PM
FrankLT4CE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess is that your is vented. My 96 with OBD II is non vented. I bought one from my Chevy dealer for less than $6.00 so I recommend you find out how much one from a dealer is. FrankLT4CE
Old 08-10-2002, 10:54 PM
FlyboyZR1
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Get a locking cap from MidAmerica. :yesnod:
Old 08-10-2002, 10:54 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Gas Cap...are our c4 vettes vented or non-vented? (FrankLT4CE)

so the question remains

hmmmm still wondering?

my biggest concern is the fact.....that I have a mysteries gas smell once I run my car for like 20 minutes.....the smell gets really bad in the interior.....

can't find any darn leaks though and my charcoal canister is fine....any other recommendations.....I have checked the lines....and return lines....the rubber hoses on those lines and the charcoal canister....Iam going nuts.....

jeff
Old 08-10-2002, 11:03 PM
marrepka
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '12

Ok, so now I'm confused... If it's a vented gas cap why does it go "phsssssssssss" when I fill up on a warm day? would'nt a vented system release all that pressure and not go "phsssssssssss"?
Old 08-11-2002, 12:03 AM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Gas Cap...are our c4 vettes vented or non-vented? (marrepka)

see...exactly...this is what Iam saying!..... Mine use to do that too...the pssssssssssssss.....but now...its more like a pzzzz.

so hmmmm i dunno....can't find anywhere in my manual either.....

jeff :cool:
Old 08-11-2002, 02:11 AM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

see...exactly...this is what Iam saying!..... Mine use to do that too...the pssssssssssssss.....but now...its more like a pzzzz.

so hmmmm i dunno....can't find anywhere in my manual either.....

jeff :cool:
My guess would be that there is a pressure valve that opens up when the pressure reaches a certain psi.
Old 08-11-2002, 10:53 AM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

tttt
Old 08-11-2002, 11:10 AM
fundriving
Instructor

Xtreme, Cap will allow for air (and water if the filler area gets too full) to be drawn into tank. Normally cap allows for pressure build up inside tank which explains the pfffft we all here. As for the fuel smell, I had one that bugged me recently because the odor was so strong yet I could not find a wet spot of fuel.... found the problem in the fuel vapor return lines. They are separate from the pressurized fuel lines. Vapor lines on my '86 run under the driver an go around the rear just inside the LR wheel. I found a piece of rubber hose that joins the 2 vent lines at this point by the rear wheel tunnel. This explained why the smell was so strong, it is right behind the driver... Anyway, a little bit of fuel hose later. No smell. Hope this might help....
Old 08-11-2002, 11:12 AM
JonM
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Gas Cap...are our c4 vettes vented or non-vented? (Glock'94)

The cap on a C-4 is a Pressure-Vacuum cap. A ratchet tightening device on the cap reduces the chances of incorrect instalation, which would prevent sealing of fuel vapors. The cap has a large "O" ring in it the seats on the neck. Pressure-Vacuum cap is part of the emission/fuel delevery system. You should use the same type cap when replacing.
Old 08-11-2002, 02:05 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Gas Cap...are our c4 vettes vented or non-vented? (JonM)

so Jon....is this what a non-venting cap is ?> or are all the auto part places correct in saying....i need a venting gas cap.,...I have checked on mine and the others that are vented...all come with that o ring...

and fundriving....you seem to be right on the head with the return line...iam thinking too this is my problem.....it is most noticeable on my drivers side...

jeff

[Modified by XtremeVette, 1:06 PM 8/11/2002]
Old 08-11-2002, 03:30 PM
JonM
Melting Slicks

Think about it, you cannot have vacuum or pressure if the damn cap has a hole in it. I think it was in 1970-vented caps were outlawed. The emissions standards replaced the vented cap, with the charcoal canister to catch vapors.
Old 08-11-2002, 06:53 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Re: Gas Cap...are our c4 vettes vented or non-vented? (jackdaroofer)

my 93 is not. AFter pressing the car hard i notice when i remove the cap there is a lott of gas buildup.
Old 08-11-2002, 07:02 PM
Barrier
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: Gas Cap...are our c4 vettes vented or non-vented? (5abivt)

I believe the cap design allows air in to take the place of the fuel, ( no collapsed tank) yet does not allow air nor vapor out. As the fuel heats the vapor would cause pressure to be heard when you open for refuelling.
Barrier
Old 08-11-2002, 07:24 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Gas Cap...are our c4 vettes vented or non-vented? (JonM)

i see..and understand ya.....but what ya think about the like 6 caps the dummy's brought up to me that were all vented caps?....strange huh....

i dunnno.....weird.....

Get notified of new replies

To Gas Cap...are our c4 vettes vented or non-vented?

Old 08-11-2002, 08:41 PM
PeteL
Le Mans Master

Location: And on the fifth day, subpoenas were served to Obama senior staff

Google.com:

Fuel Evaporative Systems: We all know gas evaporates very quickly. But it doesn't just disappear, it goes into the air where is helps create smog. So if we can contain the gas in our gas tank, we can limit another 20% of our smog. So instead of an old gas tank that had a vented cap, we now have sealed gas caps. But not totally sealed, because if we contained all that pressure from expanding gas on a hot day we could damage our gas tank. Or on a cold day, the tank might deform inwards from the contracting gas and vacuum created while driving. So we have a vacuum and pressure relief valve built into the system, usually in the cap. But before we get to this point of venting off excess pressure that would release gas vapors, we have a hose that lets the vapors escape to a charcoal canister. Here they are stored, actually trapped in the tiny crevices of this rough carbon stuff that looks like a cross between tiny lava rocks and ashes from your fireplace. If we have a carburetor, we need to be able to route the fumes from the bowl vent out to the canister as well. And we need valves to shut this off or turn it on. But we can't store this gas in the canister forever, so we have hoses and sometimes valves or solenoids that let the fumes into the intake manifold so they can be safely burned. (We call this purging, and it usually happens during closed loop cruising, but some systems do purge at idle while in closed loop.) We purge during closed loop so we can control the air-fuel ratio because we don't know exactly how much fumes we will get. To do the purging, we might connect the canister to ported vacuum on older systems. Or we can have a vacuum valve or solenoid connecting the canister to manifold vacuum. The solenoid can turn the purging on and off exactly when needed. Or it can give us more precise control so the computer can even ground the solenoid at different percentage rates (variable duty cycle) and get different amounts of flow if it wants to.

EVAPORATIVE CONTROLS
Gasoline evaporates quite easily. In the past these evaporative emissions were vented into the atmosphere. 20% of all HC emissions from the automobile are from the gas tank. In 1970 legislation was passed, prohibiting venting of gas tank fumes into the atmosphere. An evaporative control system was developed to eliminate this source of pollution. The function of the fuel evaporative control system is to trap and store evaporative emissions from the gas tank and carburetor. A charcoal canister is used to trap the fuel vapors. The fuel vapors adhere to the charcoal, until the engine is started, and engine vacuum can be used to draw the vapors into the engine, so that they can be burned along with the fuel/air mixture. This system requires the use of a sealed gas tank filler cap. This cap is so important to the operation of the system, that a test of the cap is now being integrated into many state emission inspection programs. Pre-1970 cars released fuel vapors into the atmosphere through the use of a vented gas cap. Today with the use of sealed caps, redesigned gas tanks are used. The tank has to have the space for the vapors to collect so that they can then be vented to the charcoal canister. A purge valve is used to control the vapor flow into the engine. The purge valve is operated by engine vacuum. One common problem with this system is that the purge valve goes bad and engine vacuum draws fuel directly into the intake system. This enriches the fuel mixture and will foul the spark plugs. Most charcoal canisters have a filter that should be replaced periodically. This system should be checked when fuel mileage drops.

EVAPORATIVE EMISSION CONTROL SYSTEM

This system controls the escape of hydrocarbons [in the form of fuel vapour] from the fuel tank. To achieve this, the fuel tank is sealed to the atmosphere by means of a non-venting fuel filler cap, which although non-venting, but some are equipped with a relief valve to relieve any pressure or vacuum build-up in the fuel tank. A hose, connected at one end to a venting pipe located on the top of the fuel tank or fuel tank filler neck, and connected at the other end to a charcoal canister draws the fuel vapours from the fuel tank to the charcoal canister. The canister Utilises activated charcoal granules to absorb and store the vapours until the vapours are drawn out and burned by the engine during normal operation. When the engine is operating at above idle speed, the purge control valve [located in the top of the canister] is opened by a vacuum signal from the throttle body. This action allows air to be drawn through the filter, at the base of the canister, and through the charcoal granules, purging the vapours from the charcoal granules and drawing the vapours into the inlet manifold to be burned in the combustion process.
| Trade Tip | ** Because the air, which is drawn through the filter via the hole in the base of the canister, is usually heavily contaminated with road dust, the filter may become blocked or restricted. This component is normally totally overlooked by all automotive service technicians when it comes to finding a performance or fuel problem.
Certain vehicles incorporate a bimetallic vacuum switching valve [BVSV] in the canister purge hose preventing canister purging action until a specific engine coolant temperature has been attained. Thereafter, purging action is controlled by the vacuum signal operating the canister at engine speeds greater then idle.

Old 08-11-2002, 10:30 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Re: Gas Cap...are our c4 vettes vented or non-vented? (fundriving)

With reference to the gas smell I had excessive pressure build up whenever the car was run for more than half an hour.I found steel line from the tank to that join by the wheel full of rust.The vapour was unable to vent to the canister so as mentioned here the excess pressure vented from the cap. Since replacing the vent line , no more pressure build up and no more smell. If you cant blow back form the canister to the tank it is fromally blocked.
Old 08-12-2002, 09:58 AM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Gas Cap...are our c4 vettes vented or non-vented? (rodj)

Ok...well just got back from parts supplier to GM and my GM dealer.....the parts supplier has two caps in stock for the 1990 corvette....one is a pressurized vented cap for $25 and one is a non pressurized vented cap for $17...and GM...LOL....they have no clue what the car takes....unreal....lol..

so....which one.....any ideas?....I have read all the great information listed in this post....but still am curious as to why they even make two different ones.....donŐt make much sense....

jeff

Quick Reply: Gas Cap...are our c4 vettes vented or non-vented?