C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LT1 C4 info?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2002, 03:42 AM
Dolby109
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 C4 info?

Ok, for starters I am seriously considering buying an LT1 Corvette in the next year or less.
I have a few questions I want to go through though.

I am on a pretty tight budget so I am specifically looking for a 92-94 6-speed coupe, with 80,000 to 100,000 miles.
About how much pay for one in that criteria, in good shape?

Is there any weight difference between a hardtop C4, and a targa top one? If not I would consider a targa if its not much more expensive.

I am not posative on the Corvette LT1's power, but I believe it had 300bhp? How much torque does it have?

I currently have an LT1 Z28. What are the differences between the LT1's in F-Bodies and the LT1's in Corvettes?

How is the aftermarket for Corvette LT1's? Are the parts (tb, headers, exaust, etc) the same for Corvette LT1's, as F-Body LT1's?
I assume the parts that are different are more expensive for the vette?

How is the chassis on the C4 corvette? One person said I should expect it to be very similar to my 94 Camaro's. I had previously expected it to be more rigid.

Please include any other information that could be usefull, or just neat to know.

Thanks for your time,
Adam
Old 08-10-2002, 06:02 AM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Re: LT1 C4 info? (Dolby109)

Ill try my best here. I finally get to answer fun questions. :yesnod:

I wont comment on the price always depends on year , engine, options, color, mileage.

In 1995, the big brakes (zr1 style 13" rotors) were standard on all vettes.
1994, dash change/door panel & steerign wheel redesign

There are no hardtop c4s. they are all targa or convertible.

The Lt1 in 1992 (ist year for LT1) had 300 hp, 330 torque, in 1993 it went to 300 hp 340 torqe. Strangely in 1994 the sequential fuel injection was added but power remained the same. the fuel economy is supposed to be better and it has a MAF sensor as opposed to the 1992/3 speed density setup.

LT1 f-body camaros have 2 bolt mains. not reliable for heavy modifications. Not too much else different

After market parts are slightly to waay more expensive than camaro parts. You will also see a huge difference in quality as well ( better ) of the parts. Mods will work better on the vette as it has more room in the bay (headers etc.) and it is lighter.

The chassis is pretty rigid on the c4. they do have flex especially with the roof off. What most people dont realize is that GM were idiots designing the c4. it was first designed as a T-roof car. THIS IS WHAT DAVE MCLELLAN SAID The engineers were told 8 months from press relief to get rid of the 'T' bar and make it a targa. In the end without redesigning the car(take too long) they beefed up the chassis. that is why the door sills are high. Anyhow, R-D racing sells camber braces that are VERY effective in reducing chassis flex in the front end and its only about $150 R-D is also in the process in makign an underbody brace that connects the front to the back, that will make it rock solid.

Anything else you need to know ill be glad to help out. Questiosn for anyone. :) :seeya
Old 08-10-2002, 06:38 AM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Default Re: LT1 C4 info? (5abivt)

The exhaust system on the corvette is a better design, also the air cleaner assembly is a less restrictive design.
Old 08-10-2002, 08:04 AM
silver & red CE
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...I currently have an LT1 Z28. What are the differences between the LT1's in F-Bodies and the LT1's in Corvettes?

How is the aftermarket for Corvette LT1's? Are the parts (tb, headers, exaust, etc) the same for Corvette LT1's, as F-Body LT1's?
I assume the parts that are different are more expensive for the vette?
The LT1 on the Vette and F-body are the same from the TB to the exhaust port (except the Vette has 4 bolt mains, the F-body has two bolt mains). Same cam, same TB, same heads. All the mods that work on a F-body LT1 work on a Vette F-body. As noted, the intake filter on the Vette is better, the exhaust system from the manifolds to the cats to the catback is better, that accounts for the extra HP.

The only thing that really cost more for the Vette are headers, nobody makes a bolt on set for the LT1, you have to do some welding/custom work to fit headers (esp if you want/have to keep cats).

How is the chassis on the C4 corvette? One person said I should expect it to be very similar to my 94 Camaro's. I had previously expected it to be more rigid.
Was he a F-body owner :) That's not true. The Vette's IRS is much better than the F-body's live axle. The front suspension arms are all aluminum, the brakes are bigger, the chassis is more rigid. There's some aftermarket tricks to beef it up even more.

Good Luck,
Eric
Old 08-10-2002, 09:41 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The ZF 6 manual transmission of the vette is stronger than the t-56 in the camaro. It's also a LOT more expensive if you tear it up.

One more thing that really sets the Vette apart is that you can actually see the front end of the car. The seats in relation to the hood are much better than the Z-28. You still feel very low and the car handles better than the F-body, but visibility from all directions is greatly improved. Especially out the back.
Old 08-10-2002, 04:41 PM
Dolby109
Instructor

Default Re: LT1 C4 info?

5abivt: "There are no hardtop c4s. they are all targa or convertible."

Well ya learn something new every day. I am surprised I never noticed/learned this before.
So how much does each (Targa, and Convertable) weigh? I would imagine in the 3300lbs area?

"it has a MAF sensor as opposed to the 1992/3 speed density setup."
So are the LT1's with the MAF superior in any way to the SD setup? Is one easier to work on, or get more power out of?

silver & red CE: "Was he a F-body owner That's not true. The Vette's IRS is much better than the F-body's live axle. The front suspension arms are all aluminum, the brakes are bigger, the chassis is more rigid. There's some aftermarket tricks to beef it up even more."

Thats good. And actually he wasn't an F-Body owner. He works at the GM prooving grounds. When I was talking to him he had a C5 shirt on, so I guess he likes them better. And he has a Mustang...but not just any stang...a 1970 Shelby GT350 (authentic).

Nathan Plemons: "One more thing that really sets the Vette apart is that you can actually see the front end of the car. The seats in relation to the hood are much better than the Z-28. You still feel very low and the car handles better than the F-body, but visibility from all directions is greatly improved. Especially out the back."

This I knew. I have driven an 88 Vette before, and became well aware of its better viewing angles than my Z28. And its obvious that it has better handling. Thanks though.

So does anyone know what price I should expect for a Vette like this? I am guessing between $10,000 and $12,000 (remember 80-100k)right now. Insurance is what is going to kill me:rolleyes:
Any other usefull tidbits about C4's that I should know? Any of them have headlight motor problems? (I had a problem with one on my 90 Firebird).

BTW: the reason I don't mind high milage, is I have a lot of faith in the LT1's. My Z28 has 128,000 miles on it, and is still pulling off 101 traps (last night infact), and its completely stock.
Also as a rule F-Body's are driven harder than corvettes (or on average anyway), and the previous owner had a fuzz buster, so I suspect he treated it about like I do:D

Thanks for your help...sorry if I type too much.
Old 08-10-2002, 05:07 PM
Dolby109
Instructor

Default Re: LT1 C4 info?

Hey I just noticed some guy that has a 91 6-speed vette.
91 would be an L98 vette right? I thought those came with 5-speed manuals.

What was the first year the 6-speed was offered? What were the hp/tq ratings on the late L98 vettes?
How easy are they to beef up compared to the LT1's?
Old 08-10-2002, 05:18 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

The L98s have a six speed , but i believe to my knowledge there was also a 4+3 tranny. I am not familiar with it except for the fact that 4+3s are a nightmare to work on. I believe l98 in the late years was 245 or 250 with optional exhaust. they are easy to modify as well although in my opinion they arent very fun to drive. They have lotsa good ol' torque but fall flat when revved beyond 4500. Cmon, even cavaliers go to 5000 rpm. What fun is a six speed when the motor doesnt want to rev. I believe the LT1 is the way to go and they are known and proven reliable motors. I have seen a compression test done on a 122k miles car and it came out near new. The owner was original and changed oil regularly. All that talk about LT1 piston rings having ring flutter beyond 5500 is obsolete as well. The only thing i would instantly recoomend is new valve springs on a high mileage LT1. Dont use LT4s because the pressure may collapse the lifter. (stock LT1 = #85lb , LT4 = #115 lb) The LT4s actually have a better lifter.

Anyhow, as all c4s are Targas, one thing to know is there are optional glass roofs tinted blue on late model c4s. I traded mine for a body color roof as it is lighter and much better looking ( to me) Some prefere the glass.

They weigh about 3320 lbs stock. I removed my spare tire and i weighed 3444lb , i weigh 148.
Old 08-10-2002, 05:23 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

I have a 93, and it is a speed density. To be honest even though Callway told me speed density makes more power, i would reccomend a MAF car if you plan on doign serious mods, like strokers or serious top end packages. My car with bolt ons goes 12.8 @ 112 on a Bridgestone so2 tire and 2.1 60' So bolt ons are no problems for Speed density.

I honestly believe it is the lack of knowledge from the tuners that puts down the rep of speed density but then again if no one can tune it besides a big $$$ shop then whats the point.

Old 08-10-2002, 05:28 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

I have a 93, and it is a speed density. To be honest even though Callway told me speed density makes more power, i would reccomend a MAF car if you plan on doign serious mods, like strokers or serious top end packages. My car with bolt ons goes 12.8 @ 112 on a Bridgestone so2 tire and 2.1 60' So bolt ons are no problems for Speed density.

I honestly believe it is the lack of knowledge from the tuners that puts down the rep of speed density but then again if no one can tune it besides a big $$$ shop then whats the point.
Just curious which bolt ons got you to a 12.8 @ 112 mph? That's what I run with a cam. Granted my local track sucks, I'm just trying to figure out what you consider a bolt on. That means different things to different people.
Old 08-10-2002, 06:15 PM
Dolby109
Instructor

Default Re: LT1 C4 info? (Nathan Plemons)

So the SD setups are harder to dynotune/program than the MAF setups?

As for mods I plan (or hope to) putting basic boltons while I am paying for it, hopefully putting me into mid to low 13's. Then once its paid for, I hope to rebuild it, lower the compression, and supercharge it for a mid-low 12 second street car. Possibly stroke it to 383 (that is just a stroke right?)

I figure with a supercharged 350/383 setup I could easily push 360+rwhp, and still be able to get about 22mpg on the e-way (with the 6-speed). Project complete.
Whatcha think?
Old 08-11-2002, 09:45 AM
95AquaC4
Le Mans Master

Default Re: LT1 C4 info? (Nathan Plemons)

Just curious which bolt ons got you to a 12.8 @ 112 mph? That's what I run with a cam. Granted my local track sucks, I'm just trying to figure out what you consider a bolt on. That means different things to different people.
I would be very curious too!!
Old 08-11-2002, 11:51 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Default Re: LT1 C4 info? (95AquaC4)

I would be very curious too!!
Me too
Old 08-11-2002, 02:35 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

So the SD setups are harder to dynotune/program than the MAF setups?

As for mods I plan (or hope to) putting basic boltons while I am paying for it, hopefully putting me into mid to low 13's. Then once its paid for, I hope to rebuild it, lower the compression, and supercharge it for a mid-low 12 second street car. Possibly stroke it to 383 (that is just a stroke right?)

I figure with a supercharged 350/383 setup I could easily push 360+rwhp, and still be able to get about 22mpg on the e-way (with the 6-speed). Project complete.
Whatcha think?
Yeah you should get more than 360rwhp with a SC. A 383 is usually a 4.030 bore x 3.75 stroke crank. SD setups allow for more hp (essential for a SC) but dont like to run especially well with bolt-ons like MAF cars do, they like to be reprogrammed after mods. Theyre a little trickier to tune for a shop if all they usually do are MAF cars.
Old 08-11-2002, 03:03 PM
Dolby109
Instructor

Default Re: LT1 C4 info? (vader86)

I have been looking through the C4 sale section, and most or all of the Vettes dont match my criteria. Eather they are too low miles (so they want more money for them) or they are 94+, or they are automatics.
The only ones that seem to be sub $12,000 are auto's, and often have a few other problems.

Do you think it will be possible to find a high milage 6-Speed 92-94 Vette for $12,000 or less, or am I expecting too much? I am hoping for blue/red/yellow, but beggers cant be choosers.
Old 08-11-2002, 07:17 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Speed density is harder to tune. With the mods i have now i havnt touched the chip so im amazed what it has done for me. Anyhow my bolt ons are bolt ons... i havnt removed the intake or the heads ever.

Callaway full length headers, Catalytic converters removed with bone stock exhaust resonator to mufflers, 4.09 gear, crane hi-6 ignition w/coil, taylor 409 wires, bosch +4 plugs, March pulleys (with alternator pulley not installed), LT4 valve springs/retainers, hardened push rods (car would not revv beyond 5200 rpm , my springs were dead), k&n filter with cutoud lid, tpi arfoil. , TB bypass
after all that i went 12.9@ 109.7 going into 5th gear at englishtown NJ

more mods... Walbro fuel pump, bosch #24 injectors, fuel regulator, centerforce clutch, new lilfters(crane severe duty), callaway wheels (275/35/18), Mat sensor relocator. thats all i can think of. My suspension was changed to ZR1 rear bar, z07 front sway bar, 95 z07 springs(theywere stiffest) custom bilstein shocks (shorter shafts by 1.5 inches because car was lowered tooo much) , poly bushings. Not sure if the suspension mods helped but the tire combo was taller and allowed me to go thru the traps barely into 5th.. went 12.8 @ 112 in about 22' celcius temp.

anyhow, getting 360 rwhp with only a stroker is easy, witha blower on top ur looking around 450 rwhp if u go with a mild cam thats properly cut. Im in the process of doing my top end package right now. Canfield heads, edelbrock intake (they had 2 protoypes left), and a solid roler conversion, crower rockers etc.. With this setup im trying to go as fast as the computer can process.... 7100 rpm. I want my car to revv like my zr1 did. With the custom cam / top end package, were trying to get 400+ rwhp. Since my car currently dynoes at around 335. It not out of the question. Only addition will be my exhaust system but not before i dyno it with the stock one to see how much hp it can really handle.

:cool:
Old 08-11-2002, 07:23 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Ah, I'd say your gears had the most to do with your times. One question though, if the intake has never been off, how'd you change the lifters? :smash:

Get notified of new replies

To LT1 C4 info?

Old 08-11-2002, 08:46 PM
republicanhunk
Instructor

i can help you with the price info. i looked for over 3 months until i found my car. what youll find is 93 6 speeds will average around 16900 to start. i looked at many for around that price and they averaged around 90000 miles. i live in indy and i drove as far as chicago looking. i finnally found a tricked out 6 speed for under 12000. 80000 miles. it already had headers, borlas, coilovers, chip, gs rims etc. minor nose damage that i covered up with a stripe. the point is, be patient and you will find a car for your budget. i almost settled many times, but i had a buddy who kept me on track. just dont settle for an automatic. happy shopping :)
Old 08-11-2002, 09:59 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Default Re: LT1 C4 info? (republicanhunk)

LOL :cool: :smash: right you are, the intake has been off. What i was trying to say really is that nothing has been ported . The gears did have alot to do with the times.

About a used vette, i would look at both 93 and 4 if i were you. The dash designs and seats/doorpanels have been changed in 94 as well as white letterign for the dials/stero etc.

Some people prefer the 93 style, some the 94+
for many reasons i prefer the 93. :) 93's in toronto sell for 16k cdn. About 9,500 in US dollars.

Just to be sure, check ebay and cmopare prices with mileage and ull know if its possible to find a car at the price ur lookign for :flag
Old 08-11-2002, 10:03 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Also dont be too alarmed with the speed density setup. I have realized it is better after all. Craig moates sells flashable chips and an adapter for quick changing of chips. Im going to burn a fuel economy chip for everyday driving and an aggresive one for the track. Takes 5 seconds to swtich them as opposed to taking out the laptop and reflashing the 94+maf setup.

Reeves Callaway " the speed density setup was changed to maf because cheverolet realized how easy it was to remove all the emissions comtrols and tinker with making more power in the computer"

long live pollution :lol:

Quick Reply: LT1 C4 info?