C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Coolant Temperature sensor-whoops

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 10:22 PM
ormarker85
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Coolant Temperature sensor-whoops

Rebuilding the top end on my '85 and was cleaning up some of the wiring. Should have left crap alone. Cut the sensor plug off thinking it was the leftover 9th injector clip. There are 2 wires coming off the sensor plug but the reason i cut it is it split off and was capped and only (1) wire went anywhere-i think. I only remember cutting the one wire but the where the heck does the other one go? i have a full shop manual but i am terrible at wiring diagrams. Any help would be beneficial.
Even better....i didn't notice until i had the top of my superam all bolted down.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:11 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 219 Posts

check to see if its the wire that goes to the fitting in the front of the inlet manifold, the one that has brown bakerlite on it. It has 2 blades in it.
this sensor activates the 9th injector in the 85.
if you have de-activated your 9th injector it shouldnt matter.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:39 PM
ormarker85
Advanced

Here is a closeup of the sensor. i guess it would make "sense" it controlling the cold start injector. I have read elsewhere that the ECM uses it to control the air fuel ratio and if its not hooked up correctly the motor could lean out or run rich.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:35 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 219 Posts

its the Thermo Time Switch, it activates the 9th injector if the coolant temp is below 95F,

the tpi engine will still start cold without the sensor and 9th injector, as a lot of people have found out, hopefully you dont live where it snows ?
Old 02-01-2015, 09:35 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

The connector for the cold start injector thermo switch looks like a fuel injector connector. It does not connect to the ECM in any way and only works while the engine is cranking.

The other 2 wire connector on the front of the intake manifold is the coolant temperature sensor for the ECM. The ECM uses it to determine injector pulse width and ignition timing, so it is VERY important and has a major impact on how well the engine runs.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:32 PM
ormarker85
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
The connector for the cold start injector thermo switch looks like a fuel injector connector. It does not connect to the ECM in any way and only works while the engine is cranking.

The other 2 wire connector on the front of the intake manifold is the coolant temperature sensor for the ECM. The ECM uses it to determine injector pulse width and ignition timing, so it is VERY important and has a major impact on how well the engine runs.

Do you know where the two wires from the front of the engine sensor go? I reconnected the one I cut but the other one was capped. Thanks
Old 02-04-2015, 02:08 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by ormarker85
Do you know where the two wires from the front of the engine sensor go? I reconnected the one I cut but the other one was capped. Thanks
Both of them go to the ECM. One is for the sensor output and the other is a reference ground from the ECM. Using a reference ground makes the measurement more accurate.

They go into the engine harness and through the firewall via the bulkhead feedthrough behind the passenger side head.

Get notified of new replies

To Coolant Temperature sensor-whoops

Quick Reply: Coolant Temperature sensor-whoops