C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Now What?? Engine Knock

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 02:02 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by desertmike1
Note; #6 cylinder had water ingression, and the plug is literally being "Steam Cleaned"
I know about that one. Blown head gasket resulted in this (note the end of the plug (#7) on the far left compared to the others):

This is what my engine looked like right after taking off the head (#7 steam cleaned):

I think a camera would show you the bad cylinder.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:16 AM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

Attachment 47855178
Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
with Roy.

I thought all the aluminum headed engines used spark plugs with gaskets.
There might be Aluminum heads with "Flat" counter bores.. 93-95 LT heads aren't one of them..

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1993-1995.html
Old 01-12-2015, 06:48 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by desertmike1
There might be Aluminum heads with "Flat" counter bores.. 93-95 LT heads aren't one of them..
When I look at DesertMike's post, #18, and at Cliff Harris's post #21, I see signs that the tapered seats of these plugs have been burnished by the tapered seats in the heads of these engines. When I look at JimNina's post #15, I don't see any signs on any of these plugs that they have been in contact with any tapered seats in the heads. The tapered areas of JimNina's plugs are all dirty and contaminated. Were these plugs just loose in the heads (all eight of them?)? Or are they the wrong plugs for this engine? Is this the original '94 engine, or are these the correct heads for the car? Something doesn't look right!

Last edited by Hot Rod Roy; 01-12-2015 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:56 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
When I look at DesertMike's post, #18, and at Cliff Harris's post #21, I see signs that the tapered seats of these plugs have been burnished by the tapered seats in the heads of these engines. When I look at JimNina's post #15, I don't see any signs on any of these plugs that they have been in contact with any tapered seats in the heads. The tapered areas of JimNina's plugs are all dirty and contaminated. Were these plugs just loose in the heads? Or are they the wrong plugs for this engine? Is this the original '94 engine, or are these the correct heads for the car? Something doesn't look right!

I noticed the same thing, plugs don't look like they were seated properly..

I recently had a plug come loose on my C1500, and it clearly caused an engine miss, strange thing about it was; I didn't hear anything at all!
Old 01-12-2015, 09:03 PM
jimnina
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First,
Thanks for all of the replies.
On the pictures I actually did have the plugs numbers, but the pictures were too big so I cropped them. Pic 1 (Cyl 1&2) Pic2 (Cyl 3 & 4) Pic3 (Cyl 5 & 6) Pic 4 (Cyl 7 & 8). I will repost pictures of the plugs at a correct angle. Some of the questions asked I don't know the answers too, Correct Engine, Correct Plugs, etc. I did hook up a data logger program when I first got the car and the readings were all over the place. Timing retarding and advanced at the same time. Rich O2 left and then O2 right and back and forth. When I took the plugs out some of them were loose. I thought the plugs looked pretty bad for the amount of miles but I also know the car hasn't been 100% the whole time. I did check on line EcklersCorvettes and the AC-Delco 41-906 are the correct plugs for the engine. Again thanks for all your responses.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:32 AM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Just saw this thread and agree, those plugs look really nasty for 1500 miles. Hell, for 10,000 miles. A good-running engine's plugs should have maybe a little light tan or light grey on them. Anything black means rich-running or the cylinder is pushing too much oil.

They may be black if you had mixture problems, i.e. running problems not necessarily related to a faulty ignition system. Plugs taken out of an engine that was started and not allowed to warm up several times may be darker in color, but I haven't seen much of that in injected engines.

Are you noticing blue smoke on startup? While it's running? Some smoke on startup will indicate oil leaking past valve stem seals, while constant blue is a ring problem (you may also see evidence of excess crankcase ventilation). Some of us older guys will remember the sniff test, too, using your nose to detect unburned hydrocarbons or burning oil. I didn't catch how many miles are on the engine.

After getting the water out of the tank you may want to add some fuel-drying agent to the tank for a while. This is a good regular practice for any injected fuel system.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:34 PM
jimnina
Heel & Toe

I did due the old smell test and there was no noticeable oil but some fuel smell.
The engine only has 115K but I don't know if its easy or hard miles. When I looked at the data logger output files it was saying that the o2 banks were rich and then lean, back and forth? The logger files weren't much help.
I did upload a second set of pictures of the plugs that are at a better position to see. I have not tried oiling up the one low cylinder to see if it brings up the compression. I have owned other LT1's but they were both in 70's model vehicles and was much easier to diagnosis. The first one 70 Monte Carlo was MUCH easier to work on much, much more space under the hood. Going out of town this weekend, BIG RV show here in Tampa, so I won't have time to do any other testing until next week. Thanks for all of the replies.
Attached Images   
Old 01-15-2015, 09:01 PM
MRPVette
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
I know about that one. Blown head gasket resulted in this (note the end of the plug (#7) on the far left compared to the others):

This is what my engine looked like right after taking off the head (#7 steam cleaned):

I think a camera would show you the bad cylinder.
Cliff mine blew on #7 as well how many miles on your car when it blew?

Last edited by MRPVette; 01-15-2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:24 PM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Jimnina,

Is it the pics, or are all the gaps MONSTROUS on those plugs?
Old 01-18-2015, 08:58 PM
wsherrard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm going to toss this in for what it's worth. The plug pics do look nasty. Now my tale... a couple of years ago my 91 L98 developed a "knock", well it turned out that the material in the precats had broken loose and was banging around in the housing, really sounded bad! Replaced the front Y pipe on the L-98 and the problem was solved. I don't know if your model has the precats but if it does that might be something to think about.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:55 AM
1lndonr
Intermediate

Theses plugs are very clean indicating a lean condition. A rich condition colors the white porcelain insulator black.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:27 PM
cadmaniac
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Yes, but if the optispark wasn't firing correctly, wouldn't that also contribute to the fouling of the plugs?

Also, If the engine was hydrolocked it would have a bent rod/cracked piston more likely than a bad bearing.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:47 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 366 Likes on 207 Posts

I agree with a previous poster that the gaps look enormous. The plugs look rough but fairly consistent.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:55 PM
jimnina
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the replys.
I did get the plugs changed. #8 was really impossible to replace, but I went under the vette and it was very easy. Unfortunately the new plugs didn't help the engine knock, so I guess I will be checking the bearings.
I'll report back when I get a place to pull the pan.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:49 PM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Bummer.

Sometimes the knock is in the cat, or somewhere along the exhaust. I hope this is the case for you -- something simple (read: not expensive).

Quick Reply: Now What?? Engine Knock