C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1990 C4 Won't Start - Mechanics and I are stumped!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 12:47 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Leesvet,

re-read your FSM. What you're saying is totally wrong. Pump runs when the engine is cranking.

Period.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:35 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

F'k it... I will go ahead and waste my time, spoon feeding you the actual FACTS, as opposed to the massive cofusion that you have crated for yourself.

1. You honsetly believe in an EFI vehicle, the engineers are going to rely on the uncontrollable rate of leak down the fuel system has, to "meter" fuel during starting?? If you do... Didn't you say elsewhere that "EFI is 100% about accuracy"?
2. If that were true (that line pressure was used to meter fuel during starting) why have a "Clear flood mode" built in? Wouldn't it clear eventually as line pressure drops??
3. What about extreme conditions? If it's extremely cold, and pressure is dropping as you crank...how's it going to get enough fuel to start (as just one example)?

But none of that^ matters b/c what you're typing is wrong anyway and now I'll destroy your misunderstanding of the "facts". Here we go...

Originally Posted by leesvet
A statement without explanation is just an opinion. I am passing FACTS along to those interested in the FACTS. Those that would be interested in learning something, as I was.
You're not passing on fact, you're passing on misinformation, which confuses the unwitting...not helpful.

The ECM manages the pump on/off. Until it gets the dist reference that its looking for, probably a higher enough rpm to indicate the engine IS running under its OWN power and NOT the starter, it DOES NOT allow power to pass thru the FP relay. That's a fact Jack. After that initial 2 secs...its done. No mas.
You are dead assed wrong. And here is where you go wrong:
probably a higher enough rpm to indicate the engine IS running
That is the crux of all your misguided thinking. Does it say "probably" in the FSM that you have? No it does not. Now it's FACT TME.

The ECM DOES run the pump for ~ 2 seconds at key on (and only Key On)...like you said, then turns it off, Until it gets the dist reference that its looking for.

When does that happen? As soon as you crank the engine! In FACT leesvet, that happens w/in 1/4 turn of the crank shaft, (with an L83 or L98 -1* of crank revolution in an LT1 or LT4) as the 8 pole reluctor wheel passes the pickup coil. As soon as the ECM sees ONE reference pulse from the pick up coil, which is 1//4 crank turn or less, pump goes on, and remains on as long as there is a reference pulse....which is as long as you continue cranking or the engine starts.

The entire problem with the foundation of your last several epic novel posts that are all wrong, is the ASSumption that you made...
#1: "probably". That the ECM reference pulse is "probably" when the engine is running. NO! It is when the first pulse comes from the distributor when cranking which is effectively, instantly (in less than 1/4 crank turn).
#2: That we turn the key from off to crank instantly. The FSM is referring to the 2 second on time for a KOEO situation. You turn the key to Run/On, but not to crank...pump runs for ~2 seconds. Engine is not turning, no reference pulse so pump turns off*. THAT is the ~2 seconds that the FSM is talking about. If we go from "Off" straight to "Crank", as we often do, then the "~2 seconds never happens. The key goes from "on" to "crank" in an instant, and the crank is turning, distributor sending a reference pulse to the ECM, long before the ~2 seconds is up...pump continues to run, based on the reference pulse from the already turning distributor.

*Back to ASSumptions. Here, you've assumed that the key is going straight from off to crank. You've also ASSumed the reason for the pump shutting off. It's not to prevent flooding as in this situation, the engine isn't cranking. There is simply no need to run the pump on, when the engine isn't turning...right? Right. That simple.

But, of course My FSM must be wrong, of course. and I'm incapable of comprehending these words....so I will quote: (again)
You're FSM is not wrong, but you're right...your comprehension needs help.

DIRECTLY FROM THE FSM pages and sections that were listed.

'.....if the engine is NOT started in that 2 seconds (referring to the 2 sec prime time) the ECM will shut the fuel pump OFF and WAIT until the engine starts."

per FSM.
By "starts" the FSM means receives that reference signal from the distributor that you were talking about. That happens w/in...1/4 turn of the crank. So yes, key on, pump runs about 2 seconds, then shuts off as you said...until the ECM gets it's reference signal....1/4 turn of the crank.

I think its saying...No more power to the pump until the engine starts. Huh...I wonder why ?
Because you're making ASSumptions and guessing, that's why.

uhhh cause it might flood if it KEEPS on pumping fuel to an engine that's NOT firing and running yet>? hmmm. It has the fuel under pretension....that's plenty to start the engine. ALL it needs until it is running on its OWN and NOT the starter. THAT is built in. Go read the electrical section.
No, no, no. More ASSuming and guessing about how it really works. Again, is that "control"? No it is not. Pump running, steady pressure is control. That is how it works.

I think they are trying to say that the ecm turns the pump OFF until the engine starts. AM I wrong? or is the FSM wrong?
You are wrong. FSM is not wrong. You made up/added stuff to what the FSM actually says.

ya know Tom, I really do not care why you want to debate something that IS pretty much etched in stone.
Easy...b/c it's not..."etched in stone". It's a slaughtering of the facts and simple operating principles. People who don't know, come here looking for GOOD advice (like the OP). You're info is WRONG...so that is why I correct (not debate) it.

The whole ****in point of this was to provide a way of SEEING if the injectors are cycling in one easy step with a gauge attached.
i "get it"...but it won't work they way you've said b/c the system doesn't work they way that you claim that it does.

I've managed to learn a few things in my 30 yrs with C4s and L98 engines...
Not enough...apparently. You need to go back to fuel pump school.

This debate is childish bu!!****.
Well...now you've gotten something right! Come with the real facts and there won't be any "debate". I wouldn't call this a debate; that involves opinion. In this case, you're just wrong. Fuel pump runs during cranking. You claim that you like to learn things....if you read this carefully, you just did. You asked me to prove it...tomorrow, I will, and you can learn some more.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 11-30-2014 at 01:58 AM.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:16 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Leesvet, Tom speaks the truth, so get over it.

The OP's post needs some clarification, but with comments like this one, it may just be an IAC problem. Sadly, the OP hasn't posted any updates.

Originally Posted by sibilith
as soon as you took your foot off the gas the car would die.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:20 AM
8a8mfh
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[BDIRECTLY FROM THE FSM pages and sections that were listed.
:
Theres the problem.

You can't fix everything just because you have a pile of books for it all.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:01 AM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

to all you guys with more stars than me.....I count on your expertise all the time....stop sounding like a bunch of morons.....you're disallusioning me....
Old 11-30-2014, 11:27 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

as soon as you took your foot off the gas the car would die.
When my car did this I fixed it by doing a minimum idle adjustment:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1570563689-post1.html
Old 12-01-2014, 04:41 PM
vrone44
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input, guys. Given my car is around the 80000 mile mark, the IAC valve seems to be suspect. I've ordered a replacement and hope to work on it this Saturday. These guys at the chevy dealership don't seem to really know what they're doing, and I'm going to get the car back to my place for the time being. If it's not the IAC valve I'll check the fuel filter. I really appreciate the suggestions!
Has the fuel pressure regulator been ruled out as being the problem?

Quick Reply: 1990 C4 Won't Start - Mechanics and I are stumped!