C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

ZF fluid burnt smell and sparkles in old fluid...how bad is this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 04:45 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Default ZF fluid burnt smell and sparkles in old fluid...how bad is this?

Hi guys, I'm on the home stretch for wrapping up a 383 install that was built by our pro Jim Barth. I'm running a black tag ZF behind it and today I am spending some time draining what was left of the old fluid. Well, there wasn't a lot in there but what little came out smelled a little burned. I did notice some metal flakes and sparkles when I angled the fluid just right.

So I plugged the drain and let it pool a little more on the plug and took it back out and found a few more very tiny flakes. I made the mistake of draining the last bit of oil into a dirty pan so it's hard to say what was metal particles already in the pan I drained it into. So now I'm going to run a bit of fresh fluid through the fill plug and see if it flushes anything out the drain into a clean pan and check for flakes.

I'm concerned as to how much metal, if any is tolerable to be visible to the eye. Trying not to over think it. The best I can relate it to is it smells like Italian salad dressing but burnt. The grocery getter manual trans oil smelled the same way minus the burnt smell. Weird I know.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:01 PM
Ziggy91
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just finished breaking in my new 360 in my 85... strange how we all seem to swap ZFs into our 85s at some point...

Anyways, I noticed some very very small metallic particles in my oil as well. I've been told that the anodizing on some new parts will wear off and pool through-out the engine, but I believe it's harmless. We really don't know unless we see for ourselves, but get in touch with your engine builder and they'll probably have an explanation.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:08 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Ziggy91
I just finished breaking in my new 360 in my 85... strange how we all seem to swap ZFs into our 85s at some point...

Anyways, I noticed some very very small metallic particles in my oil as well. I've been told that the anodizing on some new parts will wear off and pool through-out the engine, but I believe it's harmless. We really don't know unless we see for ourselves, but get in touch with your engine builder and they'll probably have an explanation.
The engine is solid, I'm not worried about that one. It's the gearbox fluid I'm a bit concerned about and after flushing some fresh fluid through into a clean pan I have more flakes. One piece was flat and roughly the size of a pinhead. Think I'm gonna be sick... Of course I won't know until I have it on the road to drive it and use the gears, but this isn't a good early sign all is well.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:20 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Metal flakes are normal in a manual tranny's fluid, just like rearend fluid. Synchro and gears will wear. Burnt is not normal. I would refill with new fluid and see how it behaves. Gotta get that Jim Barth motor started.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:31 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

with 383
Old 11-12-2014, 07:21 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,270 Likes on 2,031 Posts

Not knowing the source of the ZF I don't know how concerned you can/should be. I'd do a 10W30 quality fill and run it in on stands and maybe a few miles on the road to get it up to operating temperature and then do a drain and fill with whatever you plan to use long term.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:45 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

The old pros weighing in makes me feel better. Knew I was over thinking it. I flushed and filled with Pennzoil synchromesh, known acceptable replacement for the GM fluid. Asked around for the GM fluid at a few Chevy places...might as well have been asking for Ferrari gearbox fluid.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:52 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 564 Likes on 439 Posts

If you (or someone) is running the $hitty castrol 10w-60 bmw engine oil in your zf6, then the sparkles are to be expected Along with bad shifts /notchy shifting / grinded gears.

After all, you wouldnt put transmission fluid in your bmw engine, so why put bmw engine oil in your zf transmission.

Jokes aside: after my bad experiece running castrol 10w-60, i too had tons of metal flakes.

I have zero flakes when i recently drained it (didnt need to, but did anyways).

Zfdoc doesnt know what the he!! he is talking about recommending bmw motor oil in zf trans.

And i dont care how many transmissions he has rebuilt.

Gm syncromesh is what works for me

Get notified of new replies

To ZF fluid burnt smell and sparkles in old fluid...how bad is this?

Quick Reply: ZF fluid burnt smell and sparkles in old fluid...how bad is this?