C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

weep hole water pump question (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 07:32 AM
Glenno
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default weep hole water pump question (pics)

This is a brand new from GM water pump. I ran it for about 100 miles so far. Should the weep hole look like this?
Attached Images   
Old 09-07-2014, 08:06 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

No, you shouldn't have coolant leaking from the weep hole on a new pump.........A leaking water pump on a LT-1 can be a disaster if it gets the opti wet...........WW

Last edited by WW7; 09-07-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:32 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

..... That might just be some excess grease coming out of the new seal/bearing on the pump ... a little seapage from the seal would not be unexpected til it gets lapped in from use ...........
Old 09-07-2014, 08:56 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,271 Likes on 2,032 Posts

Originally Posted by C409
..... That might just be some excess grease coming out of the new seal/bearing on the pump ... a little seapage from the seal would not be unexpected til it gets lapped in from use ...........
I agree in principal to this BUT what prompted you to remove it in the first place? That might be the secret.

If there was no coolant loss I'd stuff a cork in the weep hole and clean the area or maybe blast it with some media if you had access to a blaster, remove the cork and try again with new gaskets.

The confusing aspect is that the stain is both fore and aft of the weep hole. That seems a bit unusual as well as there seems to be older stains also. 100 miles?

I'd also put a new gasket on the cover to complete the job.

If you bought it local take the part and your invoice back and exchange it. If it was an Internet deal you did, was it a deal? Maybe not. Where did it actually come from?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 09-07-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:51 AM
Glenno
Racer

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I agree in principal to this BUT what prompted you to remove it in the first place? That might be the secret.

If there was no coolant loss I'd stuff a cork in the weep hole and clean the area or maybe blast it with some media if you had access to a blaster, remove the cork and try again with new gaskets.

The confusing aspect is that the stain is both fore and aft of the weep hole. That seems a bit unusual as well as there seems to be older stains also. 100 miles?

I'd also put a new gasket on the cover to complete the job.

If you bought it local take the part and your invoice back and exchange it. If it was an Internet deal you did, was it a deal? Maybe not. Where did it actually come from?

The reason I removed it. Well I installed new opti and water pump. I also installed LTCC kit. Car would not run correctly with LTCC. Pissed off. I removed LTCC kit and purchased new gm wires and removed water pump so I could clearly make sure the wires were routed correctly and plugged in fully to the opti. That's why the water pump was removed after only 100 miles. Hopefully car will run correctly already. This car has been a nemesis since I bought it a year and half ago. Once if ever I get it to run the way it should it goes up for sale. Done with opti ****. When I bought this car I was in love, now I look at it and feel disgust. Don't trust it at all.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:53 AM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

It does look more like oil/melted grease than coolant.

Suggest that you install a brass fitting in the hole and attach a plastic hose to the fitting and make the hose long enough that it goes past the OPTI and then zip tie the hose in place. If you go to the hardware store you should be able to find a thin wall brass "insert" for a compression fitting. Should be about 1/8" with a shoulder. Cut off the shoulder and tap this into the weep hole. Depending on the make of the pump, you may have to slightly drill out the hole. Then tap it in place and apply an epoxy around the fitting where it goes into the pump. Le the epoxy dry and then attach your hose. This will save your OPTI should the pump fail, the coolant will pass thru the hose past your OPTI. Cheap insurance for an expensive part.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:51 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,271 Likes on 2,032 Posts

Originally Posted by John A. Marker
It does look more like oil/melted grease than coolant.

Suggest that you install a brass fitting in the hole and attach a plastic hose to the fitting and make the hose long enough that it goes past the OPTI and then zip tie the hose in place. If you go to the hardware store you should be able to find a thin wall brass "insert" for a compression fitting. Should be about 1/8" with a shoulder. Cut off the shoulder and tap this into the weep hole. Depending on the make of the pump, you may have to slightly drill out the hole. Then tap it in place and apply an epoxy around the fitting where it goes into the pump. Le the epoxy dry and then attach your hose. This will save your OPTI should the pump fail, the coolant will pass thru the hose past your OPTI. Cheap insurance for an expensive part.
That's a pretty damned outstanding idea!
Old 09-07-2014, 04:11 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I see what looks like a faint green stain also, If it were mine I would take it back get a new one and do as John suggested, has to be one of the best ideas I have read. I will definitely do to my LT1 next time I have to remove the water pump.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:21 PM
Tommycourt
Racer

If it were mine, I would take it back to where you bought it. I live in the desert of Az and I sure don't want to have any worries about replacing a water pump in 110 degree heat. Should find out where the vendor buys their pumps. Could be a great Chinese made pump and I don't trust their capabilities. Just MHO!
Tommy
Old 09-07-2014, 07:39 PM
Glenno
Racer

Well I reinstalled it and the car seems to run great. Guarded optimism. It was a genuine GM part straight from the dealer. Hope it was only the grease that splurged out? Seems dry and no anti freeze smells.

Get notified of new replies

To weep hole water pump question (pics)

Quick Reply: weep hole water pump question (pics)