C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

U-joint replacement!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 04:53 PM
smooth1990
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default U-joint replacement!

This weekend I am going to take the car to the track but I figure before I go I better replace those old u-joints with some new spicers.

This will be my first time changing them on a c4 corvette. Do you guys have any tips? Whats the easiest way to remove the half shafts? How long does it usually take to do all of them?

thanks in advance!
Old 09-02-2014, 05:53 PM
smooth1990
Drifting

Nevermind! Lots of good info If i just use the search bar and stop being lazy! haha
Old 09-02-2014, 08:08 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Default U-Joints

In addition to here, there's another thread that's pretty good at: http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=144562

I did mine a few months back and worked pretty good. I also made a tool for the hydraulic press and it worked out well.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:52 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I've never done "joints only" so my help may not be good help...
but here goes...

I d/c the hub from the rods/struts, pull wheels and get under a VERY stable car on stands with floor jack as back-up.

Remove strap bolts, then simply use feet to push OUTWARD on hub (reinstall a wheel if needed) and the half shaft drops in your lap. Couldn't be any simpler if I tried.

This is where I detail and polish all the alum under the ***-end, and then reassemble.
All in all, not more than 3 or 4 hrs to do all 4 AND have a bright shiny rear suspension.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:31 AM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I jack the rear of the car romove the straps that hold the joints into place. Pry the inner one off the rear let it come down do the same with the outter replace in reverse order. Iv yet to have to remove anything not even the rear tires but removeing thems gives you more wiggle room
Old 09-03-2014, 01:45 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I used a ball joint press to do mine.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:38 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Here's a link to Vader's web page...Go to "Technical info", then to "Scorps U-joint replacement tutorial".... I think this is the best tutorial on the web for replacing U-joints and is the one I used with great results.......WW

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/vader86/

Last edited by WW7; 09-03-2014 at 07:41 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:15 AM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by hooked073
I jack the rear of the car romove the straps that hold the joints into place. Pry the inner one off the rear let it come down do the same with the outter replace in reverse order. Iv yet to have to remove anything not even the rear tires but removeing thems gives you more wiggle room
Thats how I used to "drop" the short-shafts. Later I started dropping the strut and toe rod to allow the hub to float free then it was only gravity that held the shaft in place once the straps were removed. Amazing at how simple and intentional this IRS really is. D/C a few things and you see the how/why of each suspension piece....
Still think the hub retaining bolts could have been done a lil better....
Old 09-04-2014, 08:35 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Default U-Joints

Originally Posted by WW7
Here's a link to Vader's web page...Go to "Technical info", then to "Scorps U-joint replacement tutorial".... I think this is the best tutorial on the web for replacing U-joints and is the one I used with great results.......WW

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/vader86/
That happened to be one of the pages I looked at prior to replacing mine. One thing I found on another site was instead of undoing the dogbones at the rear end and maybe changing your alignment on reassembly, undo them from the bottom of the knuckle where there is no adjustment. Can't put them back and alter your alignment unless the bushings are shot.

Here's the tool I made to press u-joints:

I was a little worried about pressing on both sides of the halfshafts at the same time and this worked out great. Even easy to use outside the press with a piece of steel to use like a tamper if the caps are pressed in a little too far.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:54 AM
smooth1990
Drifting

Lots of good info! Thanks gentleman!
Old 09-04-2014, 09:07 PM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree with hcbph on the non alignment end of the 'bone. No need to realign. Its a bit of a PITA to get it back in place but better in my opinion. I dropped the spring as well and those two point gave enough slack to pop the half shaft out. It doesnt take much room to get it to drop.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:35 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Default Misc

Originally Posted by HlhnEast
I agree with hcbph on the non alignment end of the 'bone. No need to realign. Its a bit of a PITA to get it back in place but better in my opinion. I dropped the spring as well and those two point gave enough slack to pop the half shaft out. It doesnt take much room to get it to drop.
True on the 'getting it out'. If you count threads on the spring bolt, it's easy to get it reassembled exactly as it was when done. Couple of other suggestions: put a piece of something like a 4x4 under the shaft so when it comes loose it doesn't hit the concrete. Also a piece of carpet under there when removing and installing bolts keeps them from running if you accidently drop one (DAMHIK).

Once the shaft is loose, pull the spindle nut and pull it all the way out. easy to do both u-joints and also easy to check and (if needed) replace the teflon washer at the same time. If you have hubs to do, all 3 of the torx bolts are easier to get to also.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:27 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by HlhnEast
I agree with hcbph on the non alignment end of the 'bone. No need to realign. Its a bit of a PITA to get it back in place but better in my opinion.
Yup, be careful you aren't pinching and tearing your bushing when you reinstall the dogbone to the hub. I put a jack under the dogbone and push it up into the hub. You can use a long 1/4" ratchet extension through the bolt hole and pry to line it up to get the bolt through.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:28 PM
smooth1990
Drifting

I did them last night and it took about 2 hours. not a bad job at all!
Old 10-20-2014, 04:16 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I just removed the half shafts by only disconnecting the leaf spring and tie rod end. I used 1/4" drive breaking bar to get comfortably at the outer u-joint strap bolts. The outer u-joint was missing all of the needle bearings in one cap which was cracked. Now I know where the noise came from.

Oh, getting the half shaft out and back in takes time and patience, but it's doable. I didn't want to undo the nut that requires 175lb-ft to re install. Anybody have trouble getting the snap rings into the grooves on the half shafts? Took me several tries.

Last edited by Strick; 10-23-2014 at 07:19 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To U-joint replacement!

Quick Reply: U-joint replacement!