C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

c4 aerodynamics for less drag

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 04:45 AM
Tapio@FTTRacing
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default c4 aerodynamics for less drag

So I'm tweaking my street driven -96 for standing mile events and I would like to know what there is to do for less drag.

I already have rear diffuser that smooths out the area after rear diff, but can anyone come up with something else?

Thanks guys!
Old 08-22-2014, 10:25 AM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Lower, the front and rear suspension...
Old 08-22-2014, 11:36 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

And make an air dam that does to the ground across the front, and down both the rockers.

Take off the side view mirrors.

Block airflow through the radiator (to the extent that it can maintain temps through the run)

Disk wheel covers.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:43 PM
wydopnthrtl
Drifting

Received 290 Likes on 187 Posts

#1 drag is frontal area. The more perpendicular to direction of air the worse the drag. (not much you can do about this w/o body work).

#2 is air flowing through engine room, under car, tire wells, and behind rear. This is dirty (turbulent) air flow that adds drag / consumes power. Small things that help are taping off frontal openings and removing the seal between hood and firewall. (lets the high pressure in the cowl area bleed down the firewall and helps sweep away heat off the exhaust)

Best way to help both of those is to lower the car as much as is possible.
Next best thing is to get the engine into the TQ peak as quickly as possible in top gear.

Everything else is just a matter of increasing efficiency of something that is already helping or hurting you.

- Brakes dragging? (do a quick left / right bobble of the steering wheel after you launch to help the front pads move away from the disk)

- Remove mirrors

- Make a true ram air system to help pack the intake w/cool air. In place of the front license plate is a great way to kill two birds with one stone

- Take about 3/4 of a quart of oil out of the engine (from the full mark)

- Install a alternator cut out switch

- Make sure the cabin body vent is operating

Last edited by wydopnthrtl; 08-22-2014 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:02 PM
Tommycourt
Racer

Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl
#1 drag is frontal area. The more perpendicular to direction of air the worse the drag. (not much you can do about this w/o body work).

#2 is air flowing through engine room, under car, tire wells, and behind rear. This is dirty (turbulent) air flow that adds drag / consumes power. Small things that help are taping off frontal openings and removing the seal between hood and firewall. (lets the high pressure in the cowl area bleed down the firewall and helps sweep away heat off the exhaust)

Best way to help both of those is to lower the car as much as is possible.
Next best thing is to get the engine into the TQ peak as quickly as possible in top gear.

Everything else is just a matter of increasing efficiency of something that is already helping or hurting you.

- Brakes dragging? (do a quick left / right bobble of the steering wheel after you launch to help the front pads move away from the disk)

- Remove mirrors

- Make a true ram air system to help pack the intake w/cool air. In place of the front license plate is a great way to kill two birds with one stone

- Take about 3/4 of a quart of oil out of the engine (from the full mark)

- Install a alternator cut out switch

- Make sure the cabin body vent is operating
I thought that someone talked about this on another thread, possibly Vader and he didn't think that it would help that much. To me it sounds as if you would be getting more air inside the engine compartment, but they were discussing this, and it ended up that it didn't help. I could be wrong since I have had a nap since they last discussed it. Am I wrong? I was sure it was Vader and Cuda, if so, help me out guys.
Tommy
Old 08-22-2014, 09:16 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Narrower tires make sure air pressure hot is optimal
Old 08-22-2014, 10:05 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I agree with lowering the car to get the tires out of the air stream and inflating the tires to reduce rolling resistance.

Lose the spare & jack and arrive with 1/4 tank of fuel to reduce weight and aid acceleration.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:22 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Just know that the C4 Corvette was one of the most aerodynamic cars built in it's day in it's stock form so your way ahead of the game to start with. Below are the numbers for Coefficient of drag......WW

Coefficient of drag by years:

'73 .325 (X-882 Mid-Engine 4-Rotor Wankle Corvette)
'80 .443
'84 .34
'86-'90 .33
'91 .29
'96 .31
'97 .29
'98 .29/.32 (Conv't)
'99-'03 .29/.32/.31 (Fixed Roof Coupe)

Last edited by WW7; 08-24-2014 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:36 AM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

great to see a member doing the standing mile events. I'd like to get involved but first I have to get my car running good. How much power do you make and how fast do you want to go?
Old 08-23-2014, 11:45 AM
Tapio@FTTRacing
Advanced

Originally Posted by qwiketz
great to see a member doing the standing mile events. I'd like to get involved but first I have to get my car running good. How much power do you make and how fast do you want to go?
It's mildly modified lt4, making somewhere around 420whp. Not enough power to go really fast, just trying to get best out from what I have. I'm not trying to be the fastest guy there, it's more like a learning process.

Last year I did 163mph. My current goal is to make 168mph without touching the engine.

Last edited by Tapio@FTTRacing; 08-23-2014 at 11:48 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To c4 aerodynamics for less drag

Quick Reply: c4 aerodynamics for less drag