C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

new C4 owner has some questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 08:51 AM
84XfireAuto
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new C4 owner has some questions

Ive recently purchased a garage find '84 vette.
It starts, runs, drives, and stops surprisingly well, but, as you can imagine, it needs some TLC.

It has the typical '84 issues, poor idle, lousy gas mileage, leaky weather stripping, smelly carpets, hard brake pedal, etc.

I have to replace the valve cover gaskets, so I figure while Im in there, I'll give the car a complete tune up, including coil and module.
Ive been away from the car hobby for about fifteen years, so im a bit clueless as to how the aftermarket has changed since my last endeavor.
A '79 6.6L Trans Am, which I really miss, but thats another story.

My question is, when parts shopping for under the hood goodies, what brands should I look for, and / or avoid?
Old 08-05-2014, 09:15 AM
tbirdsps
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It seems like it need a lot of underhood TLC. There's lots to check, clean and repair for correcting lousy gas mileage. If you don't have one yet get a factory service manual. It will save you money. To start with leave it bone stock. AC plugs and wires etc. You might need to replace vacuum hoses and check other areas for vacuum leaks as well. Make sure the injectors in the throttle bodies are not dribbling when they are not supposed to be and you probably would be served well by having them cleaned.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:23 AM
84XfireAuto
Advanced

Thanks for the fast reply tbirdsps.
I plan to keep the car as close to stock as possible, and prefer AC parts if they are available. Locally they aren't, so i guess I'll be ordering a lot from internet parts suppliers.

Im pretty sure theres a vacuum leak, due to the surging idle. the car accelerates well, and cruises very smoothly, its just the idle thats off.

Ive looked around for a FSM, but they seem to be in short supply for the '84. Any tips on where I might find one?
Or are the Chilton / Hayes books any good?

Last edited by 84XfireAuto; 08-05-2014 at 09:36 AM. Reason: content
Old 08-05-2014, 10:31 AM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Here's links for the manuals -

http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette...repair-manuals

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/400443164557?lpid=82
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/161381745036?lpid=82
Congratulations and
Old 08-05-2014, 11:11 AM
84XfireAuto
Advanced

Thanks Silver! Most appreciated.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:37 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

As previously stated, try to keep the replacement parts all stock. You will certainly have less trouble finding them and you'll be more in tune with what's going on with it if you encounter any tune up problems in the future. Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To new C4 owner has some questions

Quick Reply: new C4 owner has some questions