C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need Bose radio install help on my '86!! Just need a link!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 05:08 PM
tnz5106
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Bose radio install help on my '86!! Just need a link!!

This info has to be out there on you-tube. Guys, I am very old school and a purist. My RPO UQ4 Bose radio and cassette does not work. I absolutely hate, and I am using the word hate here, when people pop in a 300.00 aftermarket stereo/cd that looks like crap, and takes away from the original center tower of the beautiful early c4 dash.

Anyway, I just received my newly refurb ed, mint condition original UQ4 stereo that does come with an mp3 jack, in case I want to step out of my '85/'86 era aka we are the world/Born in the USA time warp that I live in most of the time and plug in the mp3 and at least listen to any genre I am the mood for then. I have also located some original speakers and amps from a low mileage one owner car that I want to install as well. When I get done with this, the only thing I will be missing is the original black Bose owners manual with demo tape, in which I will pay top dollar for if anyone has one.

Anyway, enough about my sick mental state. My question is this. Can someone post a you tube link that shows how to remove and replace these stock '84-'89 units, and maybe replacing the speakers also. Stereo systems and electrical are my nemesis. But I know it can't be that hard removing my original Bose unit and replacing it with a plug and play exact same unit.........any help would much be appreciated. I have my top 40 songs from '85-'86 on cassette and waiting to be listened to.........thanks thanks again
Old 08-04-2014, 06:46 PM
tnz5106
Burning Brakes

OK c4 brothers, I know someone out there has some experience with this. I want to have my Bose working by the weekend. Help me please, if you can
Old 08-04-2014, 08:23 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

First off it will be very helpful if you pick up a copy of the FSM for your year Vette.

Your swap is far more mechanical than electrical...believe me, particularly the two front speakers... These require removing the door trim panel, the Al panel and (I believe) the window lift & motor in order to extract the front speaker enclosures.

As for the Bose radio, just remove the center dash trim, 4 screws securing the radio, slide it out, unplug the myriad of cables and remove the OEM unit. Revese to install the new unit.

The rear speakers are much easier than the fronts as they are (relatively) accessable.

I too am such a "purist" on appearance; good luck.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:21 AM
ynot d
Instructor

Go to factory car stereo. Some good tutorials.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:17 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 398 Posts

As one of the replies stated it's more of a mechanical thing not to tough, the face plate comes off pretty easy. you remove the 4 screws you can see then there is the 1 most people forget the 1 that goes in from the side (next to Odometer) you should remove the bezel that covers dash cluster 3 screws by door jam 2 or so in bezel, (this is to reduce the chance of cracking the radio bezel since it under the dash one) the radio comes out easy with four 7mm screws, when putting in replacement as stated just go backward, remember to bring the locator cone and all the mounting hardware over from old unit if new one doesn't have them, it also helps to have small hands for GM did not leave very much cable to make connections.

now the speakers in the door if the amps are ok the speakers can be changed very fast by just pulling the black covers, but if you are going to change the amps as well door panels need to be pulled, windows go up inner door panels (the tin inside)need to be freed of most if not all fasteners you should be able to get the amps past the inner panel with out fully removing from car (leaving your lock rods untouched) once you have removed the screws holding the amps in place (should be 4 of them) the amp will not be free it is sort of glued on with a sticky tar like goo just lock your finger on the door and with your thumbs press on a solid part of the amps with constant and increasing pressure and amp should come free, have some rags handy for the black goo and the possible nick from the tin door panel. good luck

Last edited by s carter; 08-08-2014 at 11:40 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Bose radio install help on my '86!! Just need a link!!

Quick Reply: Need Bose radio install help on my '86!! Just need a link!!