C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Corvette newbie 88 dream car

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 04:24 AM
THEKING_10
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette newbie 88 dream car

Just wondering the speedometer is the only thing that is bright enough to be see at night how do I fix this ????? Also paint is bubbled up and chipped on hood and right below mirrors don't have a lot of money yet wondering if it is ok to do a quick fix with the good old spray can just till I can paint car right just wanna know I can use regular primer and paint for a temp fix
Old 07-31-2014, 05:58 AM
Black LS2
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are 4 bulbs that illuminate the cluster...a search will reveal how to change them.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:46 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 525 Likes on 475 Posts

Default Dash bulbs

If your dash is like mine, you may not have to remove and disassemble the instrument cluster to change out the bulbs. After removing the bezel over the instrument cluster (be careful so you don't drop any screws between the steering column and dash - they're a bear to get out if you do) there are 4 metal plugs on the front of the cluster. I just hooked a finger nail under the edge and they popped out. Now for the bulbs (there are 2 types and you need the correct ones to match what you currently have), I wrapped some tape with the sticky side out on a pair of hemostat jaws and carefully grabbed the bulbs through the front and pulled them out. The difference in the bulbs are the pins, one type has straight pins (called bi-pin) while the other has the contacts bent around the end of the bulb, take it slow and easy and push the new bulb into the socket and put the plug back on the hole where the bulb goes. Do all 4 of the bulbs that way.
It was last year I did mine which are the bi-pin straight leg bulbs, IIRC I got them at either Eckler's or Corvette Central. They are not carried at my local dealer or auto parts stores. You need to use the type bulbs that's currently in the dash because the socket appears to be different between the 2. If you take the dash out and disassemble it to change the bulbs, you can use either as long as you have the matching sockets for the bulbs you get.
Hope that helps.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette newbie 88 dream car

Quick Reply: Corvette newbie 88 dream car