C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Is a Supercharger the Answer???

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 01:16 AM
Wheel Stander
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Is a Supercharger the Answer???

I'm hoping to get some suggestions on how to add some more power to my 92 LT-1. Earlier this year, I added new aluminum heads with larger valves and roller rockers, exhaust headers, a GM "hot cam", stiffer gearing, larger throttle body, a 2500 rpm converter and an Ed Wright tune. The engine is much stronger now, but after driving it for a while I've come to the conclusion that it's still not enough. Some of the locals have told me that a supercharger is probably the best way to ramp up the power without having to rebuild the bottom end ... something I really want to avoid. Some others suggested adding a 100 shot NOS kit would get the job done and be quite a bit cheaper, but I'm concerned that the bottom end may not hold up with NOS. Please feel free to weigh in.

Thanks ............ WS
Old 07-30-2014, 06:16 AM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

If its to tired for a 100 hit of nitrous its going to be to tired for a supercharger. Most engines in decent shape have no problem with a 100hp nitrous kit but i would avoild the cheaper dry kits.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:35 AM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You Are Kidding, Right Boost is always the Answer and remember anytime u ram 15psi of any kinda Boost into a motor its the Equivalent to Doubling ur cubic inches
So Boost it. Blow it. Build it then boost it some more
Old 07-30-2014, 09:49 AM
Wheel Stander
Racer

Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale
If its to tired for a 100 hit of nitrous its going to be to tired for a supercharger. Most engines in decent shape have no problem with a 100hp nitrous kit but i would avoild the cheaper dry kits.
So you would go with NOS over a supercharger cost notwithstanding?
Old 07-30-2014, 07:30 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

Dont go with nos.

Nos is for hollywood. Superchargers annihilate nos cars, thats why top fuel dragsters run superchargersz, not nos.

Now you want some reasons why i dont like nos?

Listen to me, ive done both and im happily supercharged now.

First off...if you spray on a half empty tank of nos, you dont make as much power. Even if you are using a bottle heater to spray at the same psi.

I want you to imagine how annoying this is.. itd be like your car was always faster on a full tank of gas.

Second, nos torque rapidly falls off as rpms increase due to less fill time.

Dont do nos. You will be ripping it out and supercharging later. Do it right the first time
Old 07-30-2014, 08:29 PM
Wheel Stander
Racer

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
Dont go with nos.

Nos is for hollywood. Superchargers annihilate nos cars, thats why top fuel dragsters run superchargersz, not nos.

Now you want some reasons why i dont like nos?

Listen to me, ive done both and im happily supercharged now.

First off...if you spray on a half empty tank of nos, you dont make as much power. Even if you are using a bottle heater to spray at the same psi.

I want you to imagine how annoying this is.. itd be like your car was always faster on a full tank of gas.

Second, nos torque rapidly falls off as rpms increase due to less fill time.

Dont do nos. You will be ripping it out and supercharging later. Do it right the first time
I called a couple of reputable engine builders earlier today, and they pretty much share your opinion. Both told me that NOS would be considerably cheaper, but that a supercharger was definitely the way to go. I don't want to take my car off the street right now, so I'm going to wait until the winter to get it done. Both guys told me to expect about a 50% increase in horsepower and torque, but that I will need to invest in a beefed-up transmission. I guess that just comes with the territory.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:07 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

How much power now and how much do you want to make?
Old 07-30-2014, 10:17 PM
Wheel Stander
Racer

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
About 425 at the flywheel, looking for around 600.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:46 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

You are probably at around 350whp or so now, IF the heads were ported.
So you want to,be at 550whp ( I don't go for the % thing when moding, zf talkes about 50hp).

On a C4 I wouldnt do a SC due to packaging constraints and cooling. (may have to deal with belt slip, alignment, and other issues too, and I think will cost more). I would do a 383 w AFR Eliminator heads, and a nice sized cam, LTs, and supporting mods to get about 450whp, and build it for nitrous, then out a progressive 200 shot on it. At that level on the street you will hardly ever use the nitrous and fight for traction.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:10 PM
Wheel Stander
Racer

You are probably at around 350whp or so now, IF the heads were ported.
So you want to,be at 550whp ( I don't go for the % thing when moding, zf talkes about 50hp).

On a C4 I wouldnt do a SC due to packaging constraints and cooling. (may have to deal with belt slip, alignment, and other issues too, and I think will cost more). I would do a 383 w AFR Eliminator heads, and a nice sized cam, LTs, and supporting mods to get about 450whp, and build it for nitrous, then out a progressive 200 shot on it. At that level on the street you will hardly ever use the nitrous and fight for traction.
Thanks for the suggestion, but that doesn't work for me. Just 6 months ago, I spent a considerable amount of money for the Trick Flow heads, GM "hot cam", etc. I'm not going to scrap all that now to buy a completely new engine. Before I did that, I would just buy another car but I'm not doing that either since I like my C-4 which is pristine.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:14 AM
Tommycourt
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am inclined to ask the same question: how much horsepower and for what reason? There is a lot of work installing a blower and to put it on a mouse motor, you may be asking quite a bit. I guess it depends on how deep your pockets are and how you want to use the vehicle. Just getting all the pulleys lined up with the belts, changing out the manifold plus doing any piston work that would need to be done. I don't believe your stock tranny would hold up (could be wrong) and you may have to beef up your rear end gears. If you had a rat motor it could be done a little easier or stick a 572 in it and you would be close to your 600hp. But that is a lot of work, but please remember, that is MHO only. Wish you the best and let us know how you turn out. Would love to see some pics!
Tommy
Old 07-31-2014, 12:44 AM
Tommycourt
Racer

W.S.
Just did some checking for you-ZZ572 will give you 620hp however it runs 12-1 compression ratio which ups the octane you would need to run. You could drop it in with a low rise carb or you might have to add the fiberglass vent. Best way to find out is stick a piece of clay on the highest part of the engine and lower the hood to see what hits and then modify. I can't imagine why you want that kind of horsepower unless you are doing some tire testing for one of the rubber companies, and if you do, I want to buy some stock in it. Laughing!
Good luck!
Tommy
Old 07-31-2014, 05:47 AM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

no. mostly because your going to have to chase around after nitrous. The supercharger is allways there and never goes empty. but it will make as much or more hp for alot less money. Disadvantage to a supercharger is not only cost but it is there all the time and your going to use that power more often so engine wear will actually be more of a consideration as is how the engine is built. Ive heard these lt1s have sort of weak bottom ends and hitting a 100 shot once or twice a week is going to be easier on it then constantly nailing that supercharger. Really to go either route you should be thinking forged pistons designed for that application and a forged crank. Also like was said nos is easier to control at that track. A good progressive nitrous system can be seat up to be seamless and have no big hit. But then your talking more money. IF cheap hp is the goal a good 100-150 hp single hit wet system is hard to beat. Yes the fuel dragsters and funnys use blowers but there not using syntriical blowers and there running nitro methane too. they need all that air to make the astronomical power they make. Your not driving a dragster, your looking for a car that is quick and streatable. You sure arent putting down more then a 1000 hp on any streat car that can be kept in a straight line and unless you want to spend mega bucks on a supercharged car nitrous will get you to that level much eaiser and cheaper. that all said if i had 7k to spend on my 10k vette id sell it and buy a zo6 c5. As much power as a supercharged c4 or near so and better car all around. Now spending 1k setting up a decent nitrous system doesnt seen to silly. Where else can you get a 150 hp for a grand.
Originally Posted by Wheel Stander
So you would go with NOS over a supercharger cost notwithstanding?
Old 07-31-2014, 10:48 AM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Yes it is the answer. I'd wait for a used kit to come on the market and then pick it up. A vortech a or t trim kit would get you over 450 rwhp with not much boost. Get an alky injection kit and have it turn on at three PSI and you're ready to go.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:23 PM
Tommycourt
Racer

Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale
no. mostly because your going to have to chase around after nitrous. The supercharger is allways there and never goes empty. but it will make as much or more hp for alot less money. Disadvantage to a supercharger is not only cost but it is there all the time and your going to use that power more often so engine wear will actually be more of a consideration as is how the engine is built. Ive heard these lt1s have sort of weak bottom ends and hitting a 100 shot once or twice a week is going to be easier on it then constantly nailing that supercharger. Really to go either route you should be thinking forged pistons designed for that application and a forged crank. Also like was said nos is easier to control at that track. A good progressive nitrous system can be seat up to be seamless and have no big hit. But then your talking more money. IF cheap hp is the goal a good 100-150 hp single hit wet system is hard to beat. Yes the fuel dragsters and funnys use blowers but there not using syntriical blowers and there running nitro methane too. they need all that air to make the astronomical power they make. Your not driving a dragster, your looking for a car that is quick and streatable. You sure arent putting down more then a 1000 hp on any streat car that can be kept in a straight line and unless you want to spend mega bucks on a supercharged car nitrous will get you to that level much eaiser and cheaper. that all said if i had 7k to spend on my 10k vette id sell it and buy a zo6 c5. As much power as a supercharged c4 or near so and better car all around. Now spending 1k setting up a decent nitrous system doesnt seen to silly. Where else can you get a 150 hp for a grand.
One thing to remember, yes the blower is always going to be there BUT and I stress BUT that can be controlled simply by keeping the right foot out of the throttle. We have a guy here in Az that has a blown Mustang with the bug catcher sticking way up high and you can hear the blower drive as he approaches. I will give him credit-he keeps his right foot from hitting the floor board!!!! He has had the car for about 3 years now which has surprised me and NOT blown it up. A bad part of running a blown engine is fuel economy. He gets about 2 miles to the gallon so that is another consideration. AND ONE MORE THING-I really feel that next year you are going to see fuel prices jump again. Don't want to get into politics however this administration and EPA is going to make changes and drive our fuel costs sky high, whether it be new regulations or not enough tax revenue because of low gas consumption vehicles being sold. This is just "food for thought" & MHO!!!
Tommy

Get notified of new replies

To Is a Supercharger the Answer???

Quick Reply: Is a Supercharger the Answer???