C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Racetronix chassis ground upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 02:06 AM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Racetronix chassis ground upgrade question

Hi guys. I bought a fuel pump kit along with the body ground cable. I was under the impression that the negative wire that attaches to the battery connects to the frame of the car. On mine it appears to go to a lug on the driver's side bolt that attaches the trans to the block. Is this normal for a 92 or is my car one off? Are there any advantages or disadvantages to doing this?
Old 07-29-2014, 04:58 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by qwiketz
Hi guys. I bought a fuel pump kit along with the body ground cable. I was under the impression that the negative wire that attaches to the battery connects to the frame of the car. On mine it appears to go to a lug on the driver's side bolt that attaches the trans to the block. Is this normal for a 92 or is my car one off? Are there any advantages or disadvantages to doing this?
Originally I believe the negative cable had two leads, one to the engine block above filter and a second to the frame rail. I believe you should have found primary 2 GA to above filter and secondary 12 GA to the frame rail. There wouldn't have been one to the transmission/block mounting. Direct to block with 2 GA I would think a definite advantage, cranking motor comes to mind.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-29-2014 at 05:01 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:21 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Originally I believe the negative cable had two leads, one to the engine block above filter and a second to the frame rail. I believe you should have found primary 2 GA to above filter and secondary 12 GA to the frame rail. There wouldn't have been one to the transmission/block mounting. Direct to block with 2 GA I would think a definite advantage, cranking motor comes to mind.
Okay, so nothing on my car is easy or straightforward. My car only has the 2 guage wiring and it goes to the lug on the trans.

It is my understanding that several things ground to that point, but not the 2 gauge.

My car also didn't have the chassis ground, or at least not that I can see. The engine was out of this car before, so I'm guessing the shop that did it forgot how the factory setup was.

Anyhow, now that I have the racetronix chassis ground, can I attach it to the bolt that holds the cruise control module in place? In the picture it's immediately to the right of the blue label on the steering shaft. It is behind the driver side suspension mounting point to the frame. Here's a picture:
Attached Images  
Old 08-01-2014, 01:44 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

The negative battery terminal should be grounded to G101, which is on the frame rail in front of the battery. There should also be a braided ground strap there that goes to the engine block or a bell housing bolt (depending on the year):

Old 08-06-2014, 10:30 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

thanks for the pic. Man, that g101 flew under the radar because I thought it was bigger than that. It is pathetically small wiring.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:31 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by qwiketz
It is pathetically small wiring.
It doesn't need to be very big. All the high current (for the starter) goes through the big battery cables.

Get notified of new replies

To Racetronix chassis ground upgrade question

Quick Reply: Racetronix chassis ground upgrade question