C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Coolant/Oil Temp Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 02:03 AM
Sarge Mitchell
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant/Oil Temp Issues

I have an 87...only 30k miles. I am having an increasing problem with the oil and coolant temps extremely high. I finally got the oil changed the other day...driving around town (outside temp was 100 degrees), 50mph max, the oil temp got as high as 240 degrees with the air condition running and the coolant was at 230 degrees. I have done some bolt on upgrades AEM Cold Air Intake, MagnaFlow Cats and Exhaust, Hypertech Thrustmaster Chip, and relocated the map sensor.

I have ordered the bigger radiator from Lingenfelter and an Hypertech 160 degree powerstat. I plan on installing the new radiator and thermostat, replacing the upper/lower radiator hoses and flushing the entire system.

Any ideas if there are other issues at play?
Old 07-28-2014, 03:49 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Seems like you have the bases covered.

You might scan to see if it's running lean. At least check that fuel pressure is holding.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:10 AM
jgalfo
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

if you have not yet cleaned between the radiator and the condensor that may be blocked.

I have an '86 and live in florida and 230* water temps isn't high with the AC running in 100* outside temps. the Aux fan is set to come on at 238* and tuen off at 210*

the oil temp is very high for only running 55mph. look to see if you have the oil cooler,
it is very common for it to be blocked up internally and impeding oil flow.
I took mine completely off and am running with out it and under those conditions my oil temp runs under 210* unless going over 70 mph, even then it never exceeds 230*

keep us posted

John
Old 07-29-2014, 03:38 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

100 degree ambient means you MUST have everything right....

I have an 87 as well. here is what mine did yesterday in 105 ambient....

engine is bored to the limit, so it wants to run hot. Large all alum radiator, big pump, other misc bolt on's.

At cruising speeds between 55 to 85 mph in 105 degree ambient I maintained 215 degrees with the a/c running. Actually the faster It goes the higher the temps try to go...generating more heat with more load, rpm. Normal.

Same conditions in some friggin ugly stop-n-go that went on for 15 miles...
.(pure insanity!)= rush hour.

Stop n go temps went to 235 and stayed, with the a/c running like mad. 105 ambient.

The 235 drops steadily as soon as forward motion is resumed. A few minutes after getting back to 50+ mph I am once again at 215 or so. Right where it should be. Remember, 105 ambient with 80% humidity. Not bad at all....

take that 160 T-stat and throw it as far as you can.; Its as useless as lips on a wood-pecker.

T-stats have got NOTHING to do with operating temps. They manage the MIN engine temp. Its not January....you're concerned with the upper end, not the mins.

You want a stable temp. Get a 190 in there to help keep a stable temp. These engines need to run in the 195 to 220 range. THATS normal. Hitting 230 in harsh conditions is also NORMAL.

Keep the "gap" clean, between the rad and the condenser. You MUST pull the top radiator shroud off to do this. No, washing it out with the hose ain;t gonna help.

These engines are tuned for these temps and they handle it very well. The worst thing that can ever happen to this engine is rapid cooling ! Never allow it to cool too quickly !

I'd rather keep it at 230 all day than to drop from 230 to 180 in less than 5 minutes !

Learn to accept the fact that 220 is NOT HOT. That's common,. and the engine is designed to run well at that temp. And, survive.

I've got 200K on this built engine and many of its yrs were spent in Phx where the temps were in the 115 area during rush hour. And its still a strong running and reliable engine.

Chill, No pun?...nawwwwwww

Get notified of new replies

To Coolant/Oil Temp Issues

Quick Reply: Coolant/Oil Temp Issues