C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Opti Spark drive shaft HELP ME HERE

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 11:44 AM
gascaleman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opti Spark drive shaft HELP ME HERE

I have recently replaced the head gaskets and I am re assembling things. My question is: I see that the little drive shaft for the opti spark has some flat spots on it, is it OK to just put it back in and have things timed correctly? I have of course turned the engine to adjust valves, etc. and have also turned the opti shaft and removed the little splined shaft. Is there a certain way that the shaft goes back in? It looks sort of idiot proof, but since I seem to be and idiot once in a while thought I would ask you guys before I make a mess. I also did not mark the plug wirers and installed new ones, can I just use the FSM diagram to get them back where they belong? Sorry for all the dumb questions but I had a senior moment or two. Thanks for any replies.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:56 PM
gascaleman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gascaleman
i have recently replaced the head gaskets and i am re assembling things. My question is: I see that the little drive shaft for the opti spark has some flat spots on it, is it ok to just put it back in and have things timed correctly? I have of course turned the engine to adjust valves, etc. And have also turned the opti shaft and removed the little splined shaft. Is there a certain way that the shaft goes back in? It looks sort of idiot proof, but since i seem to be and idiot once in a while thought i would ask you guys before i make a mess. I also did not mark the plug wirers and installed new ones, can i just use the fsm diagram to get them back where they belong? Sorry for all the dumb questions but i had a senior moment or two. Thanks for any replies.
come on guys help me with my stupid questions, please

Old 07-27-2014, 03:04 PM
Hooked on Vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by gascaleman
I am re assembling things. My question is: I see that the little drive shaft for the opti spark has some flat spots on it, is it OK to just put it back in and have things timed correctly? I have of course turned the engine to adjust valves, etc. and have also turned the opti shaft and removed the little splined shaft. Is there a certain way that the shaft goes back in? It looks sort of idiot proof, but since I seem to be and idiot once in a while thought I would ask you guys before I make a mess. I also did not mark the plug wirers and installed new ones, can I just use the FSM diagram to get them back where they belong? Sorry for all the dumb questions but I had a senior moment or two. Thanks for any replies.
The Opti drive shaft has a flat spot on both ends so it can't be installed wrong. Unless you force it. One end slides into the camshaft gear and that's what drives the shaft. No need to be concerned what position the engine camshaft timing gear is at or the orientation of the Optispark as long as the pin is inserted correctly at both ends.

If you're concerned about what end of the shaft went to what end look for the wear marks from the timing cover seal on the drive shaft.

Below is a picture of the drive shaft and a picture of the spark plug wiring.

Last edited by Hooked on Vettes; 07-27-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:24 PM
gascaleman
Intermediate

Thanks a bunch for the reply. I makes me feel a bit better about the situation. Hopefully I will get it back together and runn9ing next week. Again THANKS.
Mike
Old 07-27-2014, 04:58 PM
jispr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If u line it up correctly it will FALL in. Any resistance and it's not lined up. Try a mirror and light to see into the cam hole. Hope that's a new or relatively new opti.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:15 PM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Also remember when you install the water pump that the coupler that goes on the shaft, that you install the coupler with the grove near one end towards the engine.

Get notified of new replies

To Opti Spark drive shaft HELP ME HERE

Quick Reply: Opti Spark drive shaft HELP ME HERE