C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Fuel pressure tester needle flutters violently?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 03:05 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by cumbercr
You've been give a couple of suggestions. 1. Did you install the washer under the fuel pressure regulator cap? When you turn the screw to adjust pressure, the screw should be pressing on the washer. 2. The fuel pump pulses. There is a pulsator located in the fuel line coming off the stock pump. When you install the new 255 lph pump (and I know you will), throw away the pulsator and install a piece of 3/8 fuel line in its place.

In any case, the flutter is not causing operability problems. When adjusting the fuel pressure just adjust for the middle of the needle swings.
Okay, will do. Thanks!
Old 07-27-2014, 03:09 PM
powerpigz-51
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You have some kind of contamination issue then. Looks like gas on top of water....I have 8 different vehicles that I start up sometimes every couple of years, no issues. You need to fix that.

Last edited by powerpigz-51; 07-27-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:36 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

oil will float on water and so will gasoline I was told. What do you think the two layers are?
Old 07-27-2014, 03:39 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ToniJ1960
oil will float on water and so will gasoline I was told. What do you think the two layers are?
I have no idea. I was told by someone that this happens with ethanol blends. This should be like 10% ethanol.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:41 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

What I dont get is how did you `drain` this sample. If you drained it from underneath you would think it would be all water. If you drew it out with a hose and the hose was pushed to near the bottom you would think it would be all water.

Unless its a thin layer at the bottom? It couldve been in there before?

I think believing that it being an ethanol blend means its likely to seperate or something in 2 months is pure baloney. I had a car sit for over a year with 10% ethanol and never had a problem.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:47 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ToniJ1960
What I dont get is how did you `drain` this sample. If you drained it from underneath you would think it would be all water. If you drew it out with a hose and the hose was pushed to near the bottom you would think it would be all water.

Unless its a thin layer at the bottom? It couldve been in there before?

I think believing that it being an ethanol blend means its likely to seperate or something in 2 months is pure baloney. I had a car sit for over a year with 10% ethanol and never had a problem.
I drained it out from the return line at the engine bay.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:49 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Im with whoever said check the sealing around the filler area.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:53 PM
Tommycourt
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
This was the fuel that drained out after sitting for 2 months. It was Shell V Power 93 octane.
This fuel is contaminated! I live in Az and gas can go bad in a couple of months as we are the "dumping ground" of gases that are all over the U.S.
Your gas should be clear and void of any contaminates. One way that you can get contaminated gas from a gas station is when bulk trucks deliver the product to the station. The fill hoses are under pressure from the tanker and the stations fuel tanks are at their lowest points which will allow contaminates to float around. If you ever see a tanker filling the stations tanks, DO NOT get gas that day. I can tell you this from experience! In fact this is not only true in Az but this occurs all over the U.S. Watch before you fuel up!
Tommy
Old 07-27-2014, 11:33 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by powerpigz-51
You have some kind of contamination issue then. Looks like gas on top of water.
Originally Posted by Tommycourt
This fuel is contaminated!
I know you don't like what I say Daniel, but That is contaminated and it looks like water under the gas to me too.

So does your fuel pressure fall off under WOT?
Old 07-27-2014, 11:43 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

The gauge. My cheap one frum the parts store did that above 50# pressure. Not a problem with my SnapOn.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:38 AM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

your fuel is containanted. Fuel does not go bad in 2 months most fuel is good for at least 2 yrs esp with a larger quantiy in the tank. Like others have said you need to check the seal by your filler and make suure the drain is clear. i would drain all the fuel out dump a couple cans of dry gas in there add 5 gal, fuel run it low fill it back up. If you get the fuel from the same place I would ask them when the last time their fuel was tested. One thing I make sure of is to always get fuel where they go thru a lot of fuel.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:46 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
What I really would like to know is what could cause the fuel pressure tester needle to flutter?
The pump output pulsates. If the fuel pressure regulator is not working then the pressure will pulsate also. If you dial down the pressure the fluctuations will go away. At 60 PSI the regulator is not working.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:49 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommycourt
If you ever see a tanker filling the stations tanks, DO NOT get gas that day.
Every gas station I've ever been to has inline filters at the pump, so I don't believe this is a problem.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:13 PM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 466 Likes on 369 Posts

I high pressure and volume pump can cause the pressure gauge to pulsate quickly when there is very little fuel use at idle. When you installed the high flow pump did you remove the factory pulsator that is in the fuel pump? Go drive the car with the fuel pressure gauge hooked up and put it under some load, the pulsing should go away and then you can check your pressure. Mine pulsates at idle and it works fine as soon as it is under load.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:16 PM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 466 Likes on 369 Posts

FYI, There is no issue with 60 PSI, you just need to tune for it. The factory LS1's all use 60 PSI and those injectors can also be run at 43 PSI. You just need to adjust the flow rate in the tune to compensate for the pressure change.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:17 PM
powerpigz-51
Drifting

I was wondering if the FPR was maxed out at 60 psi. Wouldn't that would make the spring all the way "tight"? Of course, we will never know what the fix was or anything else. I told myself I was not going to comment anymore on this car, but I had the same problem at one time and thought I could help. This will end up another 300+ comment thread with no answers lol. My bad.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:22 PM
powerpigz-51
Drifting

I think he was trying to test his stock pump at WOT to see if he needed a high volume pump. I would say "yes" with his mods, if he ever gets it running right, or it actually is, which nobody knows and is a whole 'nother epic thread.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel pressure tester needle flutters violently?

Old 07-28-2014, 01:40 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by powerpigz-51
This will end up another 300+ comment thread with no answers lol. My bad.
I regret trying to help. I shouldn't have taken the "bait".
Old 07-28-2014, 02:53 PM
Tommycourt
Racer

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
Every gas station I've ever been to has inline filters at the pump, so I don't believe this is a problem.
Yes gas stations are supposed to have filters to eliminate any contaminates from being introduced into your car. I can say this though with complete certainly: My Model A's have a sediment bowl which is clear glass and you can see it before it goes to the carb. I have gassed up when the tankers were there, and believe it or not, I can actually see the contaminants in the gas. Model A's are touching when it comes to fuel and the least amount of "contamination" you have the better they will run. Certain stations have, I feel have different micron filter sizes, and with most all cars being fuel injected, they will accept and burn the contamination to an extent. You are metering the amount of fuel going to the injectors. On the old Model A's, when it gets cloudy or not completely clear, you have to clean out the sediment bowl. I am not challenging you on this, this is just a personal observation so please don't take it to heart. Thanks for letting me sounding off.
Tommy
Old 07-30-2014, 07:52 AM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
I know you don't like what I say Daniel, but That is contaminated and it looks like water under the gas to me too.

So does your fuel pressure fall off under WOT?
That's not always true, I like some of the stuff you say. I think someone poured water in there. I checked the date of the receipt when I purchased a new WBO2 sensor from autozone, which was 6/24/14. A few days later is when the trans broke. So it turns out that it wasn't even 2 months, but only maybe less than a month. I bought a locking gas cap so it won't happen again.

My fuel pressure tester isn't long enough to reach my windshield, but the fuel pressure dropped off simply when I revved the engine.

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure tester needle flutters violently?