C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 Corvette wont start?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 11:47 PM
Anger336
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default C4 Corvette wont start?

So my 89 Vette died on me last night, I pulled over, tried to start it again and but it just cranked for ever and I couldn't get it to turn over and start so I got it towed home.

A few days ago it all of a sudden became hard to start the car; it would crank forever and then would finally turn over and start and would sometimes almost stall when driving (it also idled pretty low going up and down from 5-7) .

I'm really wondering what could be the cause of this? I tried starting it today and it started for 2 seconds then shut off, then I tried starting again and it just cranked forever so I'm not really sure what the problem is? What does this sound like to you? Any help is appreciated!

PS: the tow truck driver said it sounds like an alternator problem for sure but I'm not too sure about that... I just got my alternator replaced a few months ago..
Old 07-27-2014, 12:08 AM
C4in mesa
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Check fuel pressure and see if it's low.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:08 AM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tow truck driver is a funny guy and thats why he drives and isn't a Wrench. Alt no way Its cranking right. so its got power not a charging problem/Issue.
When it wont start First thing you need to do is pull a plug wire and lay it somewhere u can check for spark while u crank it, or have someone crank it and u check for spark. Then take it from there and if u have spark move on to fuel or spray the throttle body only and see if it starts If it does u have spark and no fuel
Old 07-27-2014, 10:05 AM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by C4in mesa
Check fuel pressure and see if it's low.
it's where i'd start....put a guage on it....[assuming you have gas]
Old 07-27-2014, 01:45 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Can you hear the fuel pump "hum" for a few seconds when you turn the ignition to the on position just before you crank it over?

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Corvette wont start?

Quick Reply: C4 Corvette wont start?